You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Christian Benteke

WhiskeyJar

i think we will still play a sort of 433 when strurridge comes back, sturridge will be on the right of the front 3 slightly tucked in with a license to roam inside.

……………………Benteke…………………….

………..Firmino………<….Sturridge….>…….

i think we will still play a sort of 433 when strurridge comes back, sturridge will be on the right of the front 3 slightly tucked in with a license to roam inside.

……………………Benteke…………………….

………..Firmino………<….Sturridge….>…….

Isn't he a bit shite out there though?

Love this guy

Another brilliant performance from him last night, he is a beast for us and unplayable at times. Should have scored but the goals will come, he is in the right place to miss them and even Suarez missed chances when he first joined us.

We are starting to learn how to use him and players are starting to understand how to play with him, delighted for him. He works so hard and isn't just a target man. He runs the channels well, has a good touch and is everything we lacked in Caroll and Balotelli. 

• Upvote 3

Good performance yesterday even if he didn't take his chance, I saw some more positive signs last night which makes me think he will be a success.

When he was knocking balls down players from our midfield where getting up to join him, not only will Coutinho and Firmino be feeding off his knock downs, players like Henderson, Can and Milner will also with the way BR wants them getting forward.

One he ahs someone alongside/near him running past defenders at pace we will be lethal

In terms of hold up play and linking he is no better than Mario who is also brill at this but Benteke is much more mobile and direct with the ball at his feet and seems more consistent / less attitude

The extent to which he will really hurt teams/ score/create goals remains to be evidenced though

Three games in & he's won me over, watching Arsenal players bouncing off him last night was fucking brilliant, strong as an ox & he's got the Footballing ability to compliment it.

And it's great seeing an attacker who doesn't roll about on the pitch everytime someone so much as looks at him.

• Upvote 4

Saw signs that we're learning how to use him better last night. Went to shit a bit in the second half but we were pinned in and he was our only outlet so was bound to get balls launched at him.

I'd consider pushing Can back to DM and Coutinho to CM and giving Ings or Origi a run up there with him against Wham.

Saw signs that we're learning how to use him better last night. Went to shit a bit in the second half but we were pinned in and he was our only outlet so was bound to get balls launched at him.

I'd consider pushing Can back to DM and Coutinho to CM and giving Ings or Origi a run up there with him against Wham.

I'd like to see Cou in the hole behind Benteke and either Ings or Origi, with Milner and Henderson

Benteke                        Ings/Origi

Cou

Milner                    Henderson

Can

Gomez      Lovren      Skrtel       Clyne

Mig

A-17641-1433984227-2993.jpeg.jpg

Really impressed by him , he went on a couple of runs in the first half yesterday when he just brushed off one or two arsenal players with pure pace and power, i can really see him being unplayable in some games this season, hes not short on skill either. He seems to be getting fitter and faster in each game, he plays on the shoulder of the last defender when he needs to an made some great runs especially in the first half

I'd like to see Cou in the hole behind Benteke and either Ings or Origi, with Milner and Henderson

Benteke                        Ings/Origi

Cou

Milner                    Henderson

Can

Gomez      Lovren      Skrtel       Clyne

Mig

That's more or less the line-up I've been talking about to anyone who will stand still long enough and pretend to listen.  (I prefer Sakho, but Lovren did well last night, so maybe we should give him a run to build his confidence.)  It could be a nightmare to play against, particularly for teams who - how can I put this - don't necessarily have title-winning aspirations.  When we want to go all-out to batter someone, we should line up like that.

Depending on the circumstances, the likes of Lucas, Sakho, Allen, Firmino, Lallana, Moreno, Ibe, Markovic, etc. are all good enough to do a like-for-like replacement or allow a tactical shift.  And then there's Sturridge to return.

This season may yet turn out to be not utter garbage.

From f365:

When Liverpool signed Christian Benteke, many suggested that it would be a terrible fit, and in the Reds' system from last season they might have been right. The idea that Rodgers might adapt a style of play that simply didn't work last season was written off by some, but the Ulsterman deserves credit for the successful integration of the Belgian so far.

Despite the fact that they have still attempted fewer crosses than any other team this season - and the third-fewest long balls - Benteke has proven to be an effective outlet, even if he should have more than one goal to his name so far. Against Arsenal he won 16 aerial duels, with no player managing more in a single game over the last two seasons. That took his individual tally to a league high of 34 - 11 more than any other player. In turn Liverpool have gone from winning the second-fewest aerial duels per game last season (15), to the most so far this time around (24.3), which has relieved pressure on the back four now that possession is only really being surrendered further upfield.