You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Roberto Firmino

WhiskeyJar

Worth pointing out his finishing, as he is 3 years older than Sterling but his finishing is around the same level according to those who watch him.

Sterling is not a striker either but people have been moaning.

A lot of the regular German watchers have him down as raw and inconsistent he's no Alexis Sanchez is what I am trying to point out.

Coutinho was an exceptional young talent this fella has not got the same technique or ability but is said to make up for it in his work-rate and hunger.

Not sure many people get excited by players from Brazil these days the samba has gone from their football, it's like watching a Pulis team.

This is whoscored's top performers in the Bundesliga this season

Kevin De Bruyne 7.95

Robert Firmino 7.79

Naldo 7.78

Robert Rodriguez 7.72

K.Ballarabi 7.64

This is the top performers in the Bundesliga the season before 

Frank Ribery 8.28

Robert Rodriguez 8.01

R. Lewandowski 8.00

Robert Firmino 7.94

Marco Reus 7.91

This is whoscored's top performers in the Bundesliga this season

K. D. Bruyne Wolfsburg 34 7.95

R. Firmino Hoffenheim 33 7.79

Naldo Wolfsburg 32 7.78

R. Rodríguez Wolfsburg 26 7.72

K. Bellarabi Leverkusen 32(1) 7.64

This is the top performers in the Bundesliga the season before 

F. Ribéry Bayern 18(4) 8.28

R. Rodriguez Wolfsburg 34 8.01

R. Lewandowski B. Dortmund 31(2) 8.00

R. Firmino Hoffenheim 33 7.94

M. Reus B. Dortmund 26(4) 7.91

2 seasons ago, av 7.94

This season,     av 7.79

So what you are saying is he is past his best, on the way down and only going to get worse?

• Upvote 1

Hipsters on twitter are producing 60 page dossiers of his performance against Iran in the 2008 u16s World Cup.

Truth is I hadn't even heard of him until about a week ago, but I'm made up that we finally got a player that we and other teams wanted.  We didn't even seem to monitor him like we usually do.

Ratings are subjective and sometimes misleading.

22 goals from 33 appearances 2 seasons ago down to around half that in the same amount of games is the stats I am only interested in.

Needs to pull his socks back up,metaphorically speaking and get back to nearer his best.

I just hope our manager doesnt fuck about as we now have a decent partnership as a front two in Ings and Firmino. Keeping things simple is the best way to go I reckon.

Still need a DM no matter what.

I'll go with that.

Can we move the club to South America?

Move the club to Vina del Mar in Chile and we can keep the derby against Everton as well.

Vina del Mar is also lovely, its where the wealthy Santiagans go for weekends away. We's also get to play against Colo Colo, who are one of my favourite named teams.

• Upvote 1

16 goals in 2013/14 followed by 7 goals in 2014/15, combined with some woeful finishing stats, most would say that highlights inconsistency.

Not a criticism, just observations from people who watch the Bundelisga rather than study Whoscored stats.

All the reports indicate we have a replaced Sterling rather than Suarez or Sturridge with a 3 years older player with 5-10million in the bank.

Maybe the German observers consider as this is a record transfer for a player leaving Germany and expect more for their sausage.

Here is what two people who are paid to watch the German league said.

R Firmino: Talk of a PL move started - or "was started" - in May. I'm not convinced he's top 4 material yet. Great talent but inconsistent.

Raphael Honigstein @honigstein Jun 15

@moneyroseTS really? I'd say scoring 16 goals one season and 7 the next is the definition of inconsistent

Liverpool would be a decent step for Firmino. He'll carry over-hyped expectations, so hiding - which he tends to do - isn't an option.

52 retweets 12 favorites

But he's a bright talent, with the potential to be a top player. He's not quite in that bracket yet, for me.

15 retweets 4 favorites

1. 29m is more than I expected, but superb for Hoffenheim. Sales like that, at the right time, could allow them to strengthen overall.

7 retweets 7 favorites

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

If you can't get excited about your team signing a 23 year old Brazilian international with a name that ends in 'o' you might as well pack this football supporting lark in.

I'd never seen him kick a ball a week ago and but I've watched a few Youtube clips now and I feel confident in saying this lad is better than Messi. Apparently Barca are already plotting a £100m bid on him in 3 years time.

• Upvote 1

The Echo has some good stats, showing high performance ratings, assists, dribbles etc, the things you would expect from a Brazilian midfielder. However, he is also near the top of the tackles per game chart, indicating that like Coutinho he gets stuck in.