You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should the UK remain a member of the EU

Anny Road

317 members have voted

1. 1. Should the UK remain a member of the EU

• Yes
    • No

Yeah like i only work in financials for the last 20 years and while I wouldnt claim to be an expert like you suggest, I do know the markets move all the time both down and up. Not only that, economies all over the world have been affected by the result so its not just the UK that is affected.

Yes, at the moment, the financial position is in some respects worse off but even then, some losses have been made good. The pound while not at the level on Thursday is actually trading above rates it was at in february. Did we have a referendum in February? No? so what happened to make it lower then?

How come its been lower 8 times in the last 12 months? What happen in the 12 months to make it trade lower?

It might have escaped your notice that the EU force Greece into austerity and together with a couple of other EU countries, they lost their financial ratings. I think even france might have had its rating taken off it. Time and good trading results will see the ratings return. Yes, its easy to be all doom and gloom but that's not going to solve anything.

You seem to think the EU is in a better position than us. It isnt.

If you want to ignore all the financial indicators, some good, some bad, that really is up to you and others. But Im afraid you put yourself in a very weak position criticising others who may have a better insight.

You don't have better insight.

It's absolutely absurd that people are up in arms over these 'Brussels laws' that are ruining our daily lives. You'd be hard pressed for anybody to name one before they used Google to try and find one.

Absolutely correct.  All those arguing don't understand economics or the laws we've profited from (our MEPs voted for 90% of them)

They don't understand they're backing a bigger bunch of right wing cunts over slightly softer right wing cunts.

Poland fought with us during WWII.  Especially during the battle of britain.  Now they're public enemy #1.

You can't have a battle of wits with the unarmed.

Fucking hilarious.....but...erm......the millenials do whine bit don't they?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Bn_6sU7O43w

Watching that is like inviting the loudest mouthed bellend from the pub to come and hang out in your front room, rather than refusing to even acknowledge he exists and, if forced to by repeated attempts to engage, wordlessly headbutting him.

• Upvote 1

Absolutely correct. All those arguing don't understand economics or the laws we've profited from (our MEPs voted for 90% of them)

They don't understand they're backing a bigger bunch of right wing cunts over slightly softer right wing cunts.

Poland fought with us during WWII. Especially during the battle of britain. Now they're public enemy #1.

You can't have a battle of wits with the unarmed.

This is the kind of shit that starts wars and this Brexit shite brings it ever closer.

Yeah like i only work in financials for the last 20 years and while I wouldnt claim to be an expert like you suggest, I do know the markets move all the time both down and up. Not only that, economies all over the world have been affected by the result so its not just the UK that is affected.

Yes, at the moment, the financial position is in some respects worse off but even then, some losses have been made good. The pound while not at the level on Thursday is actually trading above rates it was at in february. Did we have a referendum in February? No? so what happened to make it lower then?

How come its been lower 8 times in the last 12 months? What happen in the 12 months to make it trade lower?

It might have escaped your notice that the EU force Greece into austerity and together with a couple of other EU countries, they lost their financial ratings. I think even france might have had its rating taken off it. Time and good trading results will see the ratings return. Yes, its easy to be all doom and gloom but that's not going to solve anything.

You seem to think the EU is in a better position than us. It isnt.

If you want to ignore all the financial indicators, some good, some bad, that really is up to you and others. But Im afraid you put yourself in a very weak position criticising others who may have a better insight.

You clean the toilets in a bank don't you?

What's actually happening is people are ditching the shares that'll tank when we Brexit and buying into other areas.  That's why it's levelled off.

The referendum uncertainty didn't start in February.  It started after the election.

Currencies have fluctuated as the markets gamble on the mood of the country.

At the moment, we've have years of austerity and pissed away all the gains in a week.

The EU isn't to blame for the effects of austerity on the country.

Guest Pistonbroke

Has that cunt Jeremy Hunt thrown his cap into the ring yet? It really is a frightening bunch of cunts who are vying for the Iron Throne. 

Guest Pistonbroke

Theresa May says if she wins no Article 50 triggered this year and no general election till 2020.

Will article 50 ever be triggered, like many I reckon a lot of the Tories are working on a way they can renege on the referendum, they may as well as they have reneged on every other aspect and yet a lot of those who voted leave are still happy on the way they voted. Those who voted purely on immigration will also be pissed off, the UK will have to accept freedom of movement if they want to stay in the single market. 

Will article 50 ever be triggered, like many I reckon a lot of the Tories are working on a way they can renege on the referendum, they may as well as they have reneged on every other aspect and yet a lot of those who voted leave are still happy on the way they voted. Those who voted purely on immigration will also be pissed off, the UK will have to accept freedom of movement if they want to stay in the single market.

I think they will because they have said the people have voted.

The problem the tories or even labour have with not triggering article 50 is that if they dont trigger it and you then go to another general election is it will give parties like UKIP the posdibility to get into government.

UKIP wouldnt need to get over half of the nations vote to become elected they would just need to take enough seats of labour and the tories to get a majority.

Sent from my GT-I8200N using Tapatalk

This article is 2 months old, but I thought I'd post it just in case it was missed

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/apr/20/accuracy-is-for-snake-oil-pussies-vote-leaves-campaign-director-defies-mps

'Accuracy is for snake-oil pussies': Vote Leave's campaign director defies MPs

“Can you go back to your seat please?” asked Andrew Tyrie, chair of the Treasury select committee as Dominic Cummings hovered menacingly over his shoulder. Cummings, Vote Leave’s campaign director, had no intention of going anywhere. Going back to his seat would be a victory for the cesspit of Brussels. Instead he stood over Tyrie, pointing at his phone.

“I’ve got another meeting at four, so I’ll have to be out of here before that,” Cummings insisted, sticking it to the Man.

“I don’t think you’ve got the hang of these proceedings,” Tyrie replied evenly. “We ask the questions and you stay and answer them.”

“I’m just telling you when I’ll be leaving.”

“In that case you’ll be recalled.”

“Fine by me.”

Cummings sloped slowly back to the other side of the committee room and stood beside his chair.

“Will you sit down, please?” Tyrie persisted.

“I’m just turning off my phone,” Cummings said petulantly. “You wouldn’t want my phone to go off, would you?”

Only when Cummings was certain he had got the backs up of everyone in the room, did he eventually slump into his seat like a moody adolescent. Cummings had a reputation to maintain. He hadn’t yet found anyone he couldn’t pick a fight with – any mirror would do – and he didn’t intend to start now.

“Can we talk about some of Vote Leave’s figures?” said Tyrie, once Cummings was finally in place.

As it happened, we couldn’t. We could talk about why the EU was the most corrupt organisation on Earth, we could talk about why Boris Johnson and Michael Gove weren’t actually members of the establishment, we could talk about why everyone in the Treasury and the Bank of England were complete morons, we could talk about all sort of secret threats that secret people were making about secret things that he would have to keep secret, but talking figures wasn’t on the table.

“I don’t think it’s Vote Leave’s job to provide figures,” Cummings announced triumphantly, his eyes swivelling manically.

“But Vote Leave quotes numerous figures on its website,” said Tyrie, “Most of them misleading or inaccurate.”

“Accuracy is for snake-oil pussies,” Cummings hissed under his breath. “And besides, I’ve got a really bad memory.”

“Is it not true that you only provide the costs of the EU and none of the benefits? You make the same mistake as Boris Johnson. You don’t read carefully enough. Wouldn’t it have been useful to have done some of the maths.”

“It’s just a matter of a few decimal points,” Cummings said.

Tyrie blinked.

Earlier on he had been prepared to accept he might have been dealing with an idiot savant. It only now dawned on him that he was just dealing with an idiot complete. 

“There are quite a lot of decimal points between £33bn and £16bn,” he pointed out.

“When you’re sitting in your slippers chatting to Mrs Tyrie...” Cummings diverged, worried that he had not yet been sufficiently offensive. At this point several members of the committee started wondering if there was a doctor on call nearby, but Cummings was only just warming up. No, he couldn’t confirm whether a Vote Leave advert had been deliberately designed to look like an NHS brochure. No, he couldn’t confirm Britain was in the single market, because we definitely weren’t even though we definitely were. No he couldn’t confirm why Vote Leave was claiming that intra EU trade had fallen since 1999 when official figures showed it had actually gone up by 39%.

So it went on. No, he couldn’t confirm when Vote Leave would make the macro-economic case for Brexit because these figures were obviously top secret and if he were to make them public then they wouldn’t be secret any more. No, he couldn’t name the Goldman Sachs operatives who had bribed everyone in Brussels, because he’d be killed. No, he couldn’t name any of of the umpteen ambassadors who had told him at secret trysts that they really hated the EU because if he did they would all just say he was crazy.

“You’re not wrong there,” Labour’s Rachel Reeves observed drily, before leaving to lie down in dark corner.

“For someone who claims to want to give sovereignty back to the British parliament you don’t seem to have much respect for the sovereignty of this committee,” Labour’s Helen Goodman pointed out. “I want my own special sovereignty,” Cummings shrugged, his look of slight sheepishness suggesting there might be a smidgeon of rationality lurking somewhere in his brain.

The two Tory pro-Brexit MPs, Jacob Rees-Moog and Steve Baker, looked on embarrassed. One appearance by Cummings would have done more for the Remain cause than any number of speeches from David Cameron. They did their best to tee their man up with a few easy questions, much like members of a parole board trying to find some good in a prisoner who has managed for the first time to get through an entire group therapy session without assaulting anyone, but Cummings was much too far gone.

I think they will because they have said the people have voted.

I think they will say that it is impossible to have access to the single market without freedom of movement and that it's in the country's best interests etc.

Then they'll have a general election on that basis and they will win.

I think they will say that it is impossible to have access to the single market without freedom of movement and that it's in the country's best interests etc.

Then they'll have a general election on that basis and they will win.

I wouldnt be sure that they will win. Like i said the leave campaign got over 50% of the votes in the refurendum they would need to perform nearly as well to won an election.

If you think things are fucked up atm think about how bad it would be with a ukip government at the helm. A ukip government is probably the worse thing that can happen to the country. Not only would it give farage a licence to tell the EU where to go it would also give people the idea or give legitamacy to other right wing parties such as the BNP.

The country atm whether you agree with the result or not is in danger of walking into a government that is very right wing.

Guest Pistonbroke

I am beginning to suspect the same.

Theoretically speaking they can take as much time as they like to activate article 50, the EU won't like it but it is up to the UK Government. A new Tory leader (Unless it is Gove or Johnson) could easily renege on the referendum by saying the public were lied to and the majority on both sides were not given the important facts. It wouldn't go down well with certain sectors of society but since when has any Government given a fuck about the people who elect them. 

I wouldnt be sure that they will win. Like i said the leave campaign got over 50% of the votes in the refurendum they would need to perform nearly as well to won an election.

If you think things are fucked up atm think about how bad it would be with a ukip government at the helm. A ukip government is probably the worse thing that can happen to the country. Not only would it give farage a licence to tell the EU where to go it would also give people the idea or give legitamacy to other right wing parties such as the BNP.

The country atm whether you agree with the result or not is in danger of walking into a government that is very right wing.

If you tell people that they cannot get rid of freedom of movement then UKIP will use it as leveradge and it will not change anything.

If people have voted on immigration then that issue isnt going to go away and it will mean votes for right wing parties that normal ordinary hard working people wouldnt vote for would vote for them.