You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Can anyone speak another language?

Bjornebye

Some conversational German(and the locals genuinely seem to appreciate Scouse/German effort of an accent) and the odd word/phrase in French which I was ok at in school until we had a horrible bitch of a French teacher who didnt even know how to spell Paris Saint Germain properly.

I agree with Stig that learning other languages is a deffo knicker dropping skill worth having.

It hasnt worked for me but I'm sure it would work for the handsome buggers on the GF rather than us ugly mugs.

Nee how is hello in Chinese, always say it when I go in a chippy and they love that shit, always ask them can I mow their lawns when they rule the world too and they love that even more,free chicken balls agogo. 

Dan Chow Fan... Egg Fried Rice

So that is Eng Chinese Australian (Gday) American, Scottish, Falklandish and Antarticish.

Nee how is hello in Chinese, always say it when I go in a chippy and they love that shit, always ask them can I mow their lawns when they rule the world too and they love that even more,free chicken balls agogo. 

woh yoah shun juaw  (do you have a banana ?) ne yoah shun juaw (do you want a banana ?)

works with the oriental ladies.

i mastered quite a bit of fruit-based pickup lines for chinese girls when i was young and single.

They are just fluffy Germans really. They don't sound like they are singing round here though. It's more like coughing up a furball.

A baffling language.  Nothing sounds as you'd expect when you see it written down.  As with any language, just learn the words for beer, the bill, and the cashpoint and you'll be fine.  I've spent just enough time working across Europe to make a twat of myself in every local language. Including English, obv.

Guest Pistonbroke

Not really anything to get into a debate about, Piston, but if anything it would be "ein Nasenbluten". The most common usage is without any article though.. 

ein Nasenbluten just translates as "a nosebleed" mate, he asked for the translation for "I have a nosebleed." I basically translated the sentence he asked for, personally I would say "Mir blutet die Nase" if it was happening there and then. That is the difficulty in translating between two different languages, " Ich habe Nasenbluten" is correct as well, a lot depends on which area of Germany you live in and what dialects they use. 

Guest Pistonbroke

Not really anything to get into a debate about, Piston, but if anything it would be "ein Nasenbluten". The most common usage is without any article though.. 

Just spoke with my daughter and you are indeed right in the context of the sentence. My one weakness in German is I am self taught and make grammatical errors at times, it can be a bit of a minefield. 

I sometimes translate sentences as they are put in English, "Ich habe Nasenbluten" actually translates as "My nose is bleeding" and not really to the question which was asked, as you say, they leave the article out when explaining a condition. 

Just spoke with my daughter and you are indeed right in the context of the sentence. My one weakness in German is I am self taught and make grammatical errors at times, it can be a bit of a minefield. 

minen.jpg

I'm exactly the opposite. Because of having some linguistic background before going after German, I studied the hell out of the formal structures in advance of going conversational. I've got a good handle on all the grammatical peculiarities but can really struggle keeping up with fast-paced conversation, especially with multiple speakers, because my brain wants to parse everything out structurally as if I was reading.

German grammar is fascinating though. There's this weird mix of elements recognizable to English speakers, but combined with ancient Indo-European structures that long ago vanished from English. Even what setreal pointed out about the gender of Nasenbluten is interesting -- the accusative article is ein instead of einen because the noun stem is actually a verb, bluten, and a German verb gets turned into a noun by adding a neuter article to the infinitive. It's like describing the act of bleeding as "a to-bleed-ness thing". That's bizarre to an English speaker's brain, but it's exactly identical to how verbal nouns were formed 2,400 years ago in ancient Greek, which is really interesting.

... Well, it's interesting if you're a complete geek for this shit like me.

• Upvote 5

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Fuckin' 'ell, Guv, you've smacked me right in the 'ooter. There's fuckin' claret everywhere. 

Cockney. 

• 7 months later...

Me and the ex signed up to an Italian class after we came back from our honeymoon, but it got pulled due to lack of people signed up and that was that.

I downloaded audio book things to listen to and tried to get started about a dozen times over the last 6 years without sticking with it.

I've learned how to say "that is not possible for me", which is quite apt.