You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Exfoliating *I AM NOT A GAY

old skool tom

Is it just your face that's affected?

Could be your shower gel or soap?

Or maybe your shave gel?

Before shelling out on expensive moisturisers, maybe buy some ph neutral stuff? I think Elave and Dove are neutral.

I'd definitely have a chat to a pharmacist first though. Or maybe check the GayUK website.

Thats only if he wants bummed though. And he's got no chance with his crusty coupon.

My advice would be to sort that out first, and then get out on a cockhunt.

Best creams/solutions for the guys to use their grid?

Whichever the Cosmetic Industry tells you to buy is the obvious answer.

After all, it was them who put the idea into your head in the first place.

They create the "need" and then they magically fill the "need".  Who'd have thunk it?

Unwhite teeth!  Unsightly hair!  Etc Etc Etc Etc Etc Etc

In 2050 we will all have cut our ears off as they are regarded as ugly.

"Still wondering how to get rid of those unsightly side flaps?  For just 899 Jargs we will remove them for you!"

And someone will start a thread asking the question "How do I get rid of my ears?"

And others will answer with sensitivity to make them feel like they're enlightened, and anyone who thinks they're a sadhead will be labelled as a Caveman.

Ah, consumer capitalism, we loves yer...

• Upvote 3

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Putting moisture back into dry skin isn't succumbing to consumer capitalism. It's just looking after the largest organ on the human body. I don't need to be told that white teeth look nicer than yellow/brown teeth, I can make my own mind up about that.

• Upvote 1

Putting moisture back into dry skin isn't succumbing to consumer capitalism. It's just looking after the largest organ on the human body. I don't need to be told that white teeth look nicer than yellow/brown teeth, I can make my own mind up about that.

Yeah it is. The best way to look after normal skin is through diet, drinking enough water, sunlight, fresh air and stuff.

Most cosmetics compromise the skins natural ability to moisturise itself. Hence once women were persuaded they needed to plaster their faces with makeup every day, they were then easy meat to be sold creams and moisturisers.

The industry then just took a few years to seeing men as a new growth market. Leading therefore to increased marketing and increased numbers of blokes falling for it.

• Upvote 2

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Yeah. I've not fallen for anything, and I won't be falling for talk of 'fresh air and stuff' either. A load of sneering bollocks.

Yeah. I've not fallen for anything, and I won't be falling for talk of 'fresh air and stuff' either. A load of sneering bollocks.

Oops, we've hit a blind spot, NV.

Do you think women WANT to shave their legs?

Do you think people WANT white teeth of their own volition?  Seriously?

Why do they sell skin darkner in the west and skin lightener in the east?  Why do you think that is?

Do you think that men will be hairless in twenty years' time?  I do.

No, nothing to do with consumer capitalism at all.  WE ALL LIKE COSMETICS COS IT'S LIKE NATURAL LIKE INNIT?

• Upvote 2

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Oops, we've hit a blind spot, NV.

Do you think women WANT to shave their legs?

Do you think people WANT white teeth of their own volition? Seriously?

Why do they sell skin darkner in the west and skin lightener in the east? Why do you think that is?

Do you think that men will be hairless in twenty years' time? I do.

No, nothing to do with consumer capitalism at all. WE ALL LIKE COSMETICS COS IT'S LIKE NATURAL LIKE INNIT?

None of that has anything to do with anything I've said or is relevant to this thread aside from white teeth. Yes, I think white teeth are nicer than not white teeth and it has absolutely nothing to me being told by a corporation. I've got enough brains in my head to decide what I do or don't like.

This fella is waking up with skin in his bed. He can either exfoliate to remove the dead skin cells and moisturise his skin, which will solve the issue, or he can reject the corporate interference and stop being an unthinking drone, but have a bed full of face.

• Upvote 2

Well obviously individually you may have made a decision to use moisturiser unaffected by marketing.

However the general industry for male moisturisers has certainly developed and been deliberately created as a way of increasing sales. Numerous popular television programmes have explained this very phenomenon, including industry insiders and advertisers 'fessing up.

There is also very little scientific basis for efficacy of moisturisers. The best way to indeed to maintain normal healthy skin is through a healthy diet, proper amount of water drinking and a bit of sun. Again, general scientific agreement on this.

• Upvote 3

Guest Numero Veinticinco

There's plenty of scientific research on the efficacy of moisturisers. There's just not much scientific basis for most anti aging products or the permanent anti aging effects if moisturisers. You shouldn't get the two things mixed up, because I've not said anything about anti aging. Moisturisers add moisture to the face. Good ones include SPF which reduce the harmful impact if the sun on the face.

*RingRing*

Hello, this is the 1930s, we'd like our attitudes back please. And watch out for Adolf Hitler, he's a bad egg.

There's plenty of scientific research on the efficacy of moisturisers. There's just not much scientific basis for most anti aging products or the permanent anti aging effects if moisturisers. You shouldn't get the two things mixed up, because I've not said anything about anti aging. Moisturisers add moisture to the face. Good ones include SPF which reduce the harmful impact if the sun on the face.

*RingRing*

Hello, this is the 1930s, we'd like our attitudes back please. And watch out for Adolf Hitler, he's a bad egg.

More like the 1700s when it was socially expected that men wore perfume makeup and wigs.

You're not Portuguese by any chance?

*obscure Blackadder reference*

Guest Numero Veinticinco

gone for the Bulldog range........thanks for the advice my fellow modern men aka pufters

Good stuff. I think it's good stuff. Let us know how you get on. If it helps you or not. Don't scrub too hard with your exfoliant. You'll do more harm than good.

Why waste money on exfoliating washes anyway. What you need is an exfoliator mitt or gloves. Not only does this negate the need for an additional bottle of potion, it lets you build up a lather so you waste less of your shower gel.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

They're generally not for faces, those mitts. Way too harsh. Plus, they don't contain anything anti inflammatory, nor do they have anything specifically to clear out pores.

And others will answer with sensitivity to make them feel like they're enlightened, and anyone who thinks they're a sadhead will be labelled as a Caveman.

Ah, consumer capitalism, we loves yer...

*RingRing*

That's the one.

(Not historically watertight, admittedly, but the principle is the same.)

Guest Numero Veinticinco

That's the one.

(Not historically watertight, admittedly, but the principle is the same.)

Because that's way more offensive than suggesting somebody is too thick to make up their own mind and have fallen into corporate capitalist traps.

If I have dry skin, I really don't need to be told by a corporation to buy something to put moisture back. In fact, I searched out a product that I'd never heard of before and doesn't, as far as I know, even advertise in this country.