You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Better Call Saul

Elite

1 hour ago, Barrington Womble said:

i read something a few weeks ago saying they were looking at 2 or 3 other things in the BB universe and might explore them in a years time after taking a bit of a break to do other things. gene could be dead of course. and kim might be off doing something we could follow. i dunno, i just wouldn't particularly expect them to close it out and feel it is still open (well till it's not and gene is dead!). 

Not a hope I'd watch a series centred around Kim. She's a great actor, but what a cunt of a character. 

15 hours ago, Carradona said:

Not a hope I'd watch a series centred around Kim. She's a great actor, but what a cunt of a character. 

I'd happily watch a series that consisted of zero dialogue and just featured Kim walking around in a pencil skirt and heels for an hour each week. 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Hank Moody said:

Why doesn't this exist. And why only an hour. 

Gays. 

An hour episode that I'd end up watching in two minutes chunks. 

That will easily see me through a week until the next one is available. 

I've only ever had two great TV show ideas, this, and a show which features Boyd Crowder from Justified just talking while the guy with the weird eyebrows from it reacts to what he says. 

• Upvote 1

On 15/07/2022 at 20:21, Scott_M said:

Just started season 6 episode 1. Been so long since I finished season 5, I’ve completely forgotten it.

Annoying there was no Netflix recap.

I thought that at the time. I could remember it because the ending was so massive, but my other half couldn’t, so we went back and watched the last 20 minutes of the last episode before we started the last series. Only one without a recap episode I think.

1 hour ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

I thought that at the time. I could remember it because the ending was so massive, but my other half couldn’t, so we went back and watched the last 20 minutes of the last episode before we started the last series. Only one without a recap episode I think.

I don't understand why these streaming companies don't give you a nice 1 hour recap of the previous season, could even be made a little more interesting interspersed with questions with the writers and actors. 

I find it strange how much they think the average person remembers. I read something this week that referenced BB when Jesse and Walt took Saul to the desert and and Saul thought it was Lalo. Then says something like it was all Nacho. That was season 2 episode 8 of BB, it hadn't even crossed my mind that these things were connected, yet the writers are expecting us to join the dots. Fucking no chance, it was 13 years ago! 

52 minutes ago, Carradona said:

What was the point of the Fring/wine scene? Was that referencing something in the BCS past or Breaking Bad future? 

Think it was more him being unable to let himself go and be happy and enjoy the moment. He instead is so focused on his revenge and grief for his partner (that was killed in front of him at Don Eladios) that he feels he can’t even enjoy a glimmer of happiness. 

it really was a fantastic episode. Every time I see nachos dad my heart melts. He’s fantastic in that role, they all

are.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Carradona said:

What was the point of the Fring/wine scene? Was that referencing something in the BCS past or Breaking Bad future? 

I had it down has him either giving himself some sort of alibi or something to do with the Germans he is wanting to build the lab that may come up down the line. But fuck knows. 

I loved that episode, I didn’t expect that scenario with Kim at all and thought it was brilliant. 

• Upvote 1

That was probably the best ever episode of BCS ever imo.

The writing and the acting were both stellar. So many incredible scenes.

The wine scene was pivotal in casting a bit of light on Fring; who he is, what makes him tick. Turns out that despite all of his cash and power, Gus is just a lonely guy looking for a connection, and very probably gay.

The scenes with Don Eladio and with Howard's widow were just sensational, the scene with Mike and Nacho's dad not far behind. The scenes with Jimmy and Kim, just perfectly written and played.

Love love loved it.

10/10

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

That was probably the best ever episode of BCS ever imo.

The writing and the acting were both stellar. So many incredible scenes.

The wine scene was pivotal in casting a bit of light on Fring; who he is, what makes him tick. Turns out that despite all of his cash and power, Gus is just a lonely guy looking for a connection, and very probably gay.

The scenes with Don Eladio and with Howard's widow were just sensational, the scene with Mike and Nacho's dad not far behind. The scenes with Jimmy and Kim, just perfectly written and played.

Love love loved it.

10/10

Yeah, cracking episode and I thought the same about the Gus thing. I wasn't sure if it was about him being gay (it did cross my mind), but it is clear very few people in his world are on his level and for once he was himself - which I think tips back to BB when he had Walt round for tea. The mention of saving the wine for a special occasion I think was him just thinking to himself if he can't have it after taking out Lalo with an amazing slice of luck, when can he. Then life kicks in, and he goes back to being a gangster instead of asking his mate round to try the wine. 

35 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Yeah, cracking episode and I thought the same about the Gus thing. I wasn't sure if it was about him being gay (it did cross my mind), but it is clear very few people in his world are on his level and for once he was himself - which I think tips back to BB when he had Walt round for tea. The mention of saving the wine for a special occasion I think was him just thinking to himself if he can't have it after taking out Lalo with an amazing slice of luck, when can he. Then life kicks in, and he goes back to being a gangster instead of asking his mate round to try the wine. 

Weird how it makes people see things differently. I thought the waiter looked like Howard and Fring was going to kill him and somehow use the body as Howard’s. The gay thing never occurred to me, I need to get with the times!

• Upvote 1

Fring's partner (Max Arciniega) was executed in front of him by Hector Salamanca on the orders of Don Eladio in Breaking Bad. I think he recollects this when he stares into the pool after meeting them.

My take on the wine scene was that he remembers his job isn't finished - Hector Salamanca and Don Eladio are still alive - and he can't return to enjoying life until his revenge is complete.

• Upvote 1

Lots of spoilers below

I thought the fact that Fring was gay was well established, Salamanca taunts him and he kills his “partner”. The waiter scene was filled with romantic undertone too as was the dinner scene with Walter in BB. BCS has made his BB character all the more sympathetic which I didn’t think was possible. I understand his robotic nature, Eladio does too but thinks he can control him.

Mike talking about nacho being in the game but having a good heart was him clearly talking about himself. But Varga seniors words cut so deep and made him realise he isn’t all that different. He’s just in the game and I suppose that realisation is why he’s so cold / efficient in his job in BB. 

Kim’s kiss in the parking lot was her having made up her mind and she was right in saying they are bad for each other. How easily she made up that lie to Howard’s wife was incredible and adding “you would have known” was a real kick in the nuts move, she knows she’s got Cliff who can corroborate her lie with a similar incident in the car. They really are terrible for each other and it’s good she got away for her own sake (I hope). But while she may save herself it allowed Jimmy to fully become Saul. He’s got nothing to remain good for and the flash forward in time was great too, they’ve wrapped up most of the arcs for BCS characters so now I think they will focus on the downfall of Jimmy and tie up the Gene story line.

im loving and hating the fact I have to wait a week for the next one. It’s so bloody good. 

• Upvote 5

Here's what there director says about the Gus scene in last night's episode. 

It’s the perfect short story to illustrate the prison that Gus Fring is going to be in for the rest of his life, until we see his end. He’s never going to be able to truly share his life with anybody. He’s had to make a choice right there. He can have a taste of the wine, but he’s not going to have the bottle. It’s too dangerous and too difficult.

Did we want to be overt? No. There’s very little contact, if there’s any contact. It’s a very chaste scene. I do remember that there were takes where we could have found innuendo if we had wanted to find innuendo, but we moved away from innuendo. We wanted to be suggestive at best. We don’t want to say too much, because that’s not the point. The point, to me, isn’t if Gus Fring is gay or if he’s straight. The point to me is intimacy and trust and that this man is never going to have it and that’s a punishment of sorts, a desperate punishment

Gus is definitely gay.

I think we'll get the Walt and Jesse cameos maybe in the next episode and then hopefully a few episodes to wrap up his new life as Gene.

I love the whole BB/BCS universe. I'd be more than happy with more spin-offs or even new characters in that setting, providing it's the same writers/directors/production team.

2 hours ago, Elite said:

Gus is definitely gay.

I think we'll get the Walt and Jesse cameos maybe in the next episode and then hopefully a few episodes to wrap up his new life as Gene.

I love the whole BB/BCS universe. I'd be more than happy with more spin-offs or even new characters in that setting, providing it's the same writers/directors/production team.

Yep the writers, directors and production are essential. I wouldn’t be adverse to a Walter White Jnr show. It would be interesting to see him struggling trying to be good but having to utilise his fathers infamy the problem with that is Elliot and Gretchen have a nest egg waiting for him. 

A better idea might be for all new characters with some call backs and cameos. Maybe a focus on the police?