You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer Transfer Thread 2015

WhiskeyJar

Gomez has looked ace, who cares if he didn't cost twelvety million? I thought one of the criticisms of Rodgers was that he plays expensive signings at the expense of players in form or deserving of a shot in the team.

Other relevant criticisms you may want to consider rather than a tenuous one that fits your worldview:

(a) playing players out of position

(b ) chucking money away on players who aren't good enough

For the record though, I don't mind that Gomez is starting. Hope he goes well. 

EDIT: Fuck automatic emoticons up their fucking arse.

Other relevant criticisms you may want to consider rather than a tenuous one that fits your worldview:

(a) playing players out of position

(b ) chucking money away on players who aren't good enough

For the record though, I don't mind that Gomez is starting. Hope he goes well.

EDIT: Fuck automatic emoticons up their fucking arse.

Why are you arguing if you're happy for him to play? In the context of the next game I couldn't give a shite if we've overspent on players, I just want the best guy to start that game. If that's Gomez then it doesn't matter if we've got someone on the bench who cost more.

Fits my worldview? You're such a condescending twat.

Why are you arguing if you're happy for him to play? In the context of the next game I couldn't give a shite if we've overspent on players, I just want the best guy to start that game. If that's Gomez then it doesn't matter if we've got someone on the bench who cost more.

Fits my worldview? You're such a condescending twat.

Never mind.

• Upvote 1

£80-£90m spent on defenders and keepers but its a £3m championship level 18 year old, playing against conference level players in friendlies, that is seen as the solution to our problematic full back position. Is Jeremy Beadle in the house?

Well the the defence could do with a little hand.

• Upvote 9

I am all for the kid being given a chance...if you are good enough you are old enough...but why at left back, surely you have to play a kid if you are gonna gamble on him where he is used to playing and that isn't left back.

It's like Rodgers just has to overthink it and if he isn't up to the job the fact he is being played out of position is going to be thrown at Rodgers but also could hurt the lad going forward, surely it is best to let him grow into top level footy playing in the position he knows best rather than making that step up in a new position.

I am all for the kid being given a chance...if you are good enough you are old enough...but why at left back, surely you have to play a kid if you are gonna gamble on him where he is used to playing and that isn't left back.

It's like Rodgers just has to overthink it and if he isn't up to the job the fact he is being played out of position is going to be thrown at Rodgers but also could hurt the lad going forward, surely it is best to let him grow into top level footy playing in the position he knows best rather than making that step up in a new position.

I thought the lad had played left back all pre season and played both full back positions for Charlton? There's not many centre backs who get their start in football at centre back and more often than not learn their trade trade in the full back positions.

I don't know if Gomez is ready or not as I didn't know who he was 2 months ago and we've only played shite in preseason. The coaching team though will have seen him everyday in training where he's probably played against better players. He's done all that has been asked of him and Moreno was probably one of not the worst performer out of a regulars. I have no issue giving him a go providing the staff think he's a genuine talent and we are not just putting him there just to put a rocket up moreno's arse.

Guest Super Sub

What? That's a lot less than they were asking - anything to this?

Few rumours that we are after him with boring going the other way. Also he has been told to sign a new deal or leave.

I thought the lad had played left back all pre season and played both full back positions for Charlton? There's not many centre backs who get their start in football at centre back and more often than not learn their trade trade in the full back positions.

I don't know if Gomez is ready or not as I didn't know who he was 2 months ago and we've only played shite in preseason. The coaching team though will have seen him everyday in training where he's probably played against better players. He's done all that has been asked of him and Moreno was probably one of not the worst performer out of a regulars. I have no issue giving him a go providing the staff think he's a genuine talent and we are not just putting him there just to put a rocket up moreno's arse.

As far as i knew he had played as a centre half and as a right back before joining us

I could be wrong though

The main problem with Gomez is that he seems very one footed.

Considering how poor Moreno was as times last season we really should have signed a proper left back.

We now have Clyne, Gomez, Wisdom and Flannagan as potential long term right back players, but nobody to challenge Moreno!

Whilst I am fairly happy with most of our summer signings, a left back and a holding midfielder were really obviously needed!

The main problem with Gomez is that he seems very one footed.

Considering how poor Moreno was as times last season we really should have signed a proper left back.

We now have Clyne, Gomez, Wisdom and Flannagan as potential long term right back players, but nobody to challenge Moreno!

Whilst I am fairly happy with most of our summer signings, a left back and a holding midfielder were really obviously needed!

Rodgers has said before he sees wisdom as a centre back, so he needs games there this season and make use of his loan. I think it's fair to say we can write flannagan off, by the time he's back he'll have been out almost 2 years, not many players come back from that.