You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Middle Class Generalisation Thread

Section_31

When Sainsburys wanted to build a larger store and redevelop Crosby village loads of people objected for no apparent reason. Some people even objected without seeing the plans. It would have created a few more jobs and breathed life into a tired area that's completely dead these days.

The nearest supermarkets are Asda in Aintree or Bootle, a Tesco in Formby or Litherland so people have to travel, normally by car to do a weekly shop etc.

Sainsburys got that fed up of people fucking about and whining about expanding the store they just fucked the idea off altogether. Now Moor Lane is stuck with a small outdated store that hasn't been touched since about 1985. There's nothing really to venture up there for. The pubs in Moor Lane are dead these days as everyone prefers to drink in South Road as there is also more choice to eat down there. I just don't understand the mentality of people, it's not like they were building a massive brothel there.

One of the Crown buildings which has been at the top of Moor Lane for years was recently knocked down but there was not as much opposition to that as there was to the Sainsburys expansion.

When Sainsburys wanted to build a larger store and redevelop Crosby village loads of people objected for no apparent reason. Some people even objected without seeing the plans. It would have created a few more jobs and breathed life into a tired area that's completely dead these days.

The nearest supermarkets are Asda in Aintree or Bootle, a Tesco in Formby or Litherland so people have to travel, normally by car to do a weekly shop etc.

Sainsburys got that fed up of people fucking about and whining about expanding the store they just fucked the idea off altogether. Now Moor Lane is stuck with a small outdated store that hasn't been touched since about 1985. There's nothing really to venture up there for. The pubs in Moor Lane are dead these days as everyone prefers to drink in South Road as there is also more choice to eat down there. I just don't understand the mentality of people, it's not like they were building a massive brothel there.

One of the Crown buildings which has been at the top of Moor Lane for years was recently knocked down but there was not as much opposition to that as there was to the Sainsburys expansion.

Moor Lane or maybe better described a Crosby Village has been a mess for years. I'm not sure whether some blame needs to go on Sainos or other developers for running it down so far, but quite honestly there was no other game in town or option but to proceed at that point. Sefton Council won't have the cash, so fuck knows who they thought would take it over? So the objectors have cut off their nose to spite their face. And they way retail developments are going it looks likely they won't invest in a big store, or not big enough to deliver all the other solutions they need.

The village has been downhill since it got pedestrianised in the early 90's. I know we went to opposing schools and we're not dissimilar in age Rob, so I'm sure you remember it as a thriving busy road with plenty of shoppers. As soon as the buses and taxis went it started slipping. Footfall went and by the time I came back from Uni in 99/2000 it was well into decline. You know you're fucked when a McDonald's closes.

Only the pubs seemed to be keeping it going, the Stamps, Blues, George, The ex-Barclays (can't remember it's name) and it's club underneath the Vault all bust when I spent a year at home before doing Tebbit and find a job darn Sarf. But at least they were vibrant, but those have either closed or look fucked and wafts left? Tilly Mints, Cads Jewellers, a Chemist and my mates Veg Dads shop. It's s fucking shame cos there used to be a time it was worthwhile going there, looks like the rot has gone past the point of no return. The Crown Buildings I haven't followed by they should never have allowed that to come down with ensuring exchange of contracts; who knows they might of and there's another issue, but that seems fucked too.

Looks to me they need a planning brief centred around housing and regenerating the space best they can to retain and improve what retail is there and maybe add in some office or start up floor space with enough new housing to sweeten it. But I doubt they'll accept that politically.

My old fella always had the gas and leccy on the fiddle when I was growing up anyway. Guess that pretty much sums my class up then.

I can remember my old man giving me a cheque to pay for something with and I looked at it and it wasn't even his name. Dodgy as heck

My parents were from good working class stock and they were/are fucking grafters and chance takers. So many failed businesses (hence the name change) until they hit the jackpot with one. There are no defined classes in NZ so I think they were pleased to move away from the class system here as your accent can hold you back. 

Bloody hell, bet you don't put tomato sauce with your gravy either? 

Six years of love and respect down the shitter in 12 words.  I am distraught.

It's never the ones you expect is it?

I have red sauce with superchip gravy so I suppose it's not that far a stretch. 

But, middle class or not, a cheesy chip with mayo is a thing of beauty.

"Red sauce?"  Fuck me gently with a chainsaw.  Don't even get me started on 'superchip gravy', I don't even care what it is, it will henceforth be known as paedo sauce.

• Upvote 3

Six years of love and respect down the shitter in 12 words.  I am distraught.

It's never the ones you expect is it?

"Red sauce?"  Fuck me gently with a chainsaw.  Don't even get me started on 'superchip gravy', I don't even care what it is, it will henceforth be known as paedo sauce.

I love when the peado sauce overflows my mouth and drips down my chin, whereby i promptly scoop it up with my finger and fingerbang it back into my face-fuckhole. I mean mouth.

Red or brown sauce was just what they were called growing up. And I won't lose any sleep over you not trying superchip gravy. You're the one missing out.

• Upvote 2

I love when the peado sauce overflows my mouth and drips down my chin, whereby i promptly scoop it up with my finger and fingerbang it back into my face-fuckhole. I mean mouth.

Red or brown sauce was just what they were called growing up. And I won't lose any sleep over you not trying superchip gravy. You're the one missing out.

Some things I'm happy to miss out on.  Getting back-scuttled by an obese german called Klaus, buying a pair of corduroy trousers, visiting Scunthorpe, all these are experiences which are available to me as a mature and responsible adult, yet which I have decided I simply don't need to partake of.  Paedo sauce is now on that list.  In fact it always was, I just hadn't been alerted to its presence there.

I call brown sauce brown sauce by the way because, well what the fuck else would I call it?  The other one is ketchup. Or Tommy K, obviously.

The simplest test for being working class is - have you ever drunk in a pub where the raffle prize is meat?

Does drinking in a pub where people try to sell you meat they've just robbed from Tesco out of a holdall count?

Some things I'm happy to miss out on.  Getting back-scuttled by an obese german called Klaus, buying a pair of corduroy trousers, visiting Scunthorpe, all these are experiences which are available to me as a mature and responsible adult, yet which I have decided I simply don't need to partake of.  Paedo sauce is now on that list.  In fact it always was, I just hadn't been alerted to its presence there.

I call brown sauce brown sauce by the way because, well what the fuck else would I call it?  The other one is ketchup. Or Tommy K, obviously.

Does drinking in a pub where people try to sell you meat they've just robbed from Tesco out of a holdall count?

Nothing wrong with a sharp pair of cords

• Upvote 1

They wouldn't hold it for you? Tight gets.

Should have took it with you, it would have been a talking point with the ladies, "Do you want to hold my meat". etc.

Then at the end of the night get in the kebab house and ask them to chuck it in the tandoor for an hour.