You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool vs Leicester, Thursday 1st January

Mook

Gerrard is what he is, it's not his fault that the manager wants to play a pressing game and then decides to pick a central midfield pair with no pace who won't or can't press and harass the opposition.

I just can't understand how the situation has continued, and for so long.

• Upvote 1

also baffles me how poor sterling's shots are. every shot he takes have as much power as a passback

I can never quite get how professional footballers can't shoot.

Even as kids, surely all footballers learn that particular art? You dream of scoring goals, as a 9 year old you don't dream of bring a centre back and keeping a clean sheet, you just play for the thrill of shooting and scoring.

Didn't Carra play up front for England school boys? What went wrong?!

These guys play football every day? I remember when I was about 14 I was pretty useful up front but couldn't hit a barn door with my left foot. My old man got me kicking a ball against a wall with my left, gradually increasing the distance, within weeks I was finding the net with my left.

Either my Dad was a tactical genius with a state of the art shed wall or professionals are "above" such methods.

Or they don't have sheds

• Upvote 4

That Borini and Markovic both blocked goalbound efforts says a lot about how much of a shambles our shape and plan was late on.

Nothing wrong with pointing out Gerrard's demise, but some on here seem to be taking a perverse pleasure in it all. Those penalties must have been bittersweet for them today.

How can you confuse pleasure with people being hacked off and pointing out the obvious?

Klopp has a month off due to the winter break, get on it.

His team made Dejan Lovren look like a cross between Baresi and Carragher in August, and things haven't improved for them much since. Seems a sound fella so I hope he gets back to the same level, but confidence can be a brittle thing in football so the jury is out on him for the first time in his career.

I like Brendan but gotta laugh at him trying to close a game out at 2-0. Tactically right thing to do but it's just not us. Daft.

Tactically right? It would be tactically right against the mancs.

Against relegation fodder at the bottom of the table it's plain, fucking stupid.

How can you confuse pleasure with people being hacked off and pointing out the obvious?

There are examples of both on this thread. It's part and parcel of a football forum - some people's opinions and their verification are more important to them than the bigger picture. Do you really think it's so outlandish to suggest that a couple might want somebody to prove them right by performing badly?

Hodgson is a better manager than Rodgers IMO but a poorer bullshitter. Hodge's lowering of expectations was far too obvious. Rodgers is much more subtle.

However, both are\were shithouses when it came to the Gerrard problem. Unfortunately it looks like Gerrard is actually bigger than the club.

The only two people I can think of who took Gerrard on was Houllier and Rafa. Both got the best out of him also. But both got seen off by him too in the end.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

So, to sum up

We went 2-0

We conceeded two well struck goals

Gerrard needs dropping but bringing in some young player(s) will be 'chucking them under the bus'

Rodgers for the sack and all our problems are solved

Appoint Klopp who doesnt seem to be able to change his current team's worse period.

Leicester have been our bogey team for years.

Fucked if I can work out this football thingy.

Who didn`t see it coming really?

Everyone knew Gerrard would come into the team and Henderson would be shunted to the right and everyone knew Henderson would be less effective because of it. Everyone knows that the Gerrard/Lucas combo just doesn`t work and everyone knew that the pressing and quick passing and interchanging of the Swansea game would suffer because of the changes. Rodgers knew all this but he still did what he did because he`s a Fucking Grade A shithouse where Gerrard is concerned.

I'm afraid this is spot on. Gerrard is finished, and has been for a while. Last year's attacking bonanza helped mask it, but the decline is too far along now. We've looked to be back to our best in the couple of games he hasn't played, coincidence? It's Rodgers fault for playing him of course, but I just wish he would hang up his boots before he taints his legacy further.

PS! Skrtel's omission/Kolo's inclusion didn't help matters today either.

I'd say it's less about wanting to lose to be proved right, than simply having their expectations of something fulfilled? I can't beleive anyone wants us to lose.

I'd hope nobody wants us to lose, but I definitely think some really want to be proven right in opinions that they've been pretty loud in expressing. Human nature, surely?

• Upvote 2

I'm afraid this is spot on. Gerrard is finished, and has been for a while. Last year's attacking bonanza helped mask it, but the decline is too far along now. We've looked to be back to our best in the couple of games he hasn't played, coincidence? It's Rodgers fault for playing him of course, but I just wish he would hang up his boots before he taints his legacy further.

PS! Skrtel's omission/Kolo's inclusion didn't help matters today either.

Ay he scores twice and hes shit for not scoring 3.

But Rodger 3 years to get a defence together doesnt concern you we should focus on the player who scored twice?

Disgraceful performance from every player in the second half and the first was poor aswell.

Those asking why borini wasnt getting a look in now have their answer, Gerrard is finished and needs to go to America or something next year.

Someones hacked Pennants account.

Everyone knew Gerrard would come into the team and Henderson would be shunted to the right and everyone knew Henderson would be less effective because of it. Everyone knows that the Gerrard/Lucas combo just doesn`t work and everyone knew that the pressing and quick passing and interchanging of the Swansea game would suffer because of the changes. Rodgers knew all this but he still did what he did because he`s a Fucking Grade A shithouse where Gerrard is concerned.

Fans are in denial, heads right in the sand, to busy making excuses for mediocrity, it's was as clear as day that the same team should have been picked and Gerrard shouldn't be anywhere near the starting 11 nowadays.

I'd say it's less about wanting to lose to be proved right, than simply having their expectations of something fulfilled? I can't beleive anyone wants us to lose.

This, no fan really wants us to lose, we all want success for the club though to be honest i can imagine a scenario where some fans wouldn't mind us losing a few to make sure that Rodgers goes, a bit of short term pain for long term gain.

Someones hacked Pennants account.

Fans are in denial, heads right in the sand, to busy making excuses for mediocrity, it's was as clear as day that the same team should have been picked and Gerrard shouldn't be anywhere near the starting 11 nowadays.

This, no fan really wants us to lose, we all want success for the club though to be honest i can imagine a scenario where some fans wouldn't mind us losing a few to make sure that Rodgers goes, a bit of short term pain for long term gain.

"Long term gain". What's long term about the Liverpool managers job these days?

I'd hope nobody wants us to lose, but I definitely think some really want to be proven right in opinions that they've been pretty loud in expressing. Human nature, surely?

Definitely human nature. I don't think anyone will pass up the chancd to point out they were right - but that door swings both ways.

Sadly this is spot on. And how some see this post as having a go at Gerrard and not Rodgers is beyond me.