You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool's Hidden Gems

Section_31

1 minute ago, Sugar Ape said:

I think the cinema will be alright, sure it’s been threatened before and raised a lot of money to keep it open. The other small shops and pubs might struggle but it’ll be the same in a lot of places like Lark Lane for example. 

I love Crust as well. I know there’s one in town but I much prefer the Woolton one, sensational pizza. 

Yeah I love Crust, it's made all the more authentic by the fact most of the Italian staff don't speak any English at all, which is both impressive and confusing. 

I must be the only person I know that doesn't like the Elephant either, food is 'so so' despite the fact it's own by Baldrick, loud, overpriced beer and always a large smattering of dickheads. It's a typical Grand National launchpad boozer. 

Since moving to North Yorkshire, I’ve tried loads of chippies, some in East and West Yorkshire, too. Haddock seems to be the fish of choice, although you can get cod and sometimes plaice. In my opinion, they overcook the fish. The cod and haddock is very firm and can be a bit dry. The batter is often very dense and crisp. You can get fishcakes and savouries, the latter are called patties.

1 hour ago, Sugar Ape said:

It hasn’t shut mate. I went last week, they’re also doing free deliveries across Liverpool. Check their Facebook page out. 

Really it said closed when I looked online but as I barely know the day or time I guess I could of looked at 8pm on a Sunday and assumed corona closure.

4 hours ago, Tony Moanero said:

Since moving to North Yorkshire, I’ve tried loads of chippies, some in East and West Yorkshire, too. Haddock seems to be the fish of choice, although you can get cod and sometimes plaice. In my opinion, they overcook the fish. The cod and haddock is very firm and can be a bit dry. The batter is often very dense and crisp. You can get fishcakes and savouries, the latter are called patties.

The only thing i miss of Hull is pattie & chips

Anyone else been banned from a chippy? I have. A few years ago, I couldn’t stop eating chippy food and would have a chippy tea every night. I moved to Yorkshire and started frequenting one in a place called Helmsley. This chippy had good reviews and seemed popular with the locals. At first, it seemed decent enough but after a while, I had to make several complaints. Shit curry, a massive hair (unsure if it was pubic) in my scampi and overcooked food. The kids who worked there must have told the owner 

because the next time I was in, he came out from the back and proper lost his shit, accusing me of being affiliated to a rival business. I wouldn’t have minded but the other chippy he was referring to was only open about two days a week and only at dinnertime and sold shit pies. Cheeky cunt.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

Anyone else been banned from a chippy? I have. A few years ago, I couldn’t stop eating chippy food and would have a chippy tea every night. I moved to Yorkshire and started frequenting one in a place called Helmsley. This chippy had good reviews and seemed popular with the locals. At first, it seemed decent enough but after a while, I had to make several complaints. Shit curry, a massive hair (unsure if it was pubic) in my scampi and overcooked food. The kids who worked there must have told the owner 

because the next time I was in, he came out from the back and proper lost his shit, accusing me of being affiliated to a rival business. I wouldn’t have minded but the other chippy he was referring to was only open about two days a week and only at dinnertime and sold shit pies. Cheeky cunt.

You should have told him you worked for a chines place called Phuk Yu.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

We've tried to make it easy for the OOTs by dropping the name "fish cake" and calling them savouries.

When Mrs O'T first came to Liverpool (from London) she went to a chippy for fish cake and chips.  She spotted scallops on the menu and was really impressed by the availability of shellfish in the chippy.

She was less than impressed when she went home with, basically, three different types of deep-fried potato.

Wasn't the name changed to comply with trading standards or something like that ? An old school fishcake didn't actually contain any or enough fish so that's what prompted the mane change ? Same as crab sticks are now sold as ocean sticks.

The two chippy's nearest to me will still give you a savory even if you asked for a fishcake. The Happy Villa on Priory Road used to do the same until the family who ran it changed a few months ago. Now you have to distinguish between a savory and a actual fishcake as I found to my disappointment one night.  

35 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

I don't know if anyone knows Albert Road in Southsea but if they do they will appreciate this. 

Came out of a boozer rotten, a good 10/15 of us. On our way back to someones house but via the 24 hour. I went into the nearest kebab place and bought one. The group of us gradually walked up the road. Im still smashed. decided I didn't want my kebab so walked back into the kebab shop accusing them of spitting in it (being a proper twat, the kind of guy i hate) and the fella behind the counter ran round and tried to stab me with a big metal skewer (ooer) 

Went back in the next day to apologise because it was right by my house and I knew id been a dick. "Yes its fine, just don't come back in for 6  months" 

....... ok 

• Upvote 1

When i first moved to London my mind was blown by the fact you could order different types of fish from the chippy. It was later blown by the price.

In my experience the fish and chips in London is better than anything ive ever had in Liverpool. To be fair, thats the same for Glasgow and Rugby too, though Newcastle chippies are shit.

Liverpool has the best chinese though. 

1 hour ago, Tony Moanero said:

Class.

We used to call the Chinese bloke in a chippy in Widnes Jason Donovan, he was about 4ft 8 and in his early 50s, but the nickname was due to the fact we saw him once walking down the street with a tall blonde fella, one of our mates said "that bloke looks like Jason Donovan" and another lad said "which one?". 

We used to call his Mrs The Oracle because she used to just sit in the back reading the paper and smoking, she'd briefly look at you when you walked in, have a drag and start reading again.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

In an blatant payola scandal that was somehow missed by Private Eye , we used to have a tacit agreement that we would cancel any unpaid cheque fees on a certain Chinese chippy in Bootle as long as the price for any meal we ordered at said outlet was exactly £2 whatever it consisted of.

16 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

I don't know if anyone knows Albert Road in Southsea but if they do they will appreciate this. 

Came out of a boozer rotten, a good 10/15 of us. On our way back to someones house but via the 24 hour. I went into the nearest kebab place and bought one. The group of us gradually walked up the road. Im still smashed. decided I didn't want my kebab so walked back into the kebab shop accusing them of spitting in it (being a proper twat, the kind of guy i hate) and the fella behind the counter ran round and tried to stab me with a big metal skewer (ooer) 

Went back in the next day to apologise because it was right by my house and I knew id been a dick. "Yes its fine, just don't come back in for 6  months" 

....... ok 

used to go to a belting Balti shop on Albert Road for lunch zillions of years ago.  BYOB, so we'd often end up completely smashed back in the office.  Happy days.

2 hours ago, stringvest said:

used to go to a belting Balti shop on Albert Road for lunch zillions of years ago.  BYOB, so we'd often end up completely smashed back in the office.  Happy days.

Mate it’s called the Bombay express (the balti house) you take your own ale 

20 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

....... ok 

You did well to go in the next day and apologise, I probably would have just moved house to avoid the anxiety of dealing with it. 

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...