You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Nivana Vs Foo Fighters

Remmie

83 members have voted

1. 1. Foovarna

• Foo Fighters
    • Nirvana

I have to assume anyone slating Foo Fighters, hasn't seen them live.

Utterly immense.

And as for the shite album tag? Wasting Light was a fantastic effort, almost every track was good.

Foo Fighters are just thoroughly ace, nothing else to add really.

• Upvote 2

I've seen them live about 4 times, they put on a great show. And I still stand by my earlier album statement. When they play new songs to promote the album (i.e. Cheer Up Boy, Your Make-up Is Running or something - incidentally, I assume Grohl was taking the piss when he said that album could be on Kill 'Em All), it gives me a chance to go for a piss.

Nirvana had magical qualities few bands can ever hope to match. Kurt was addicted to rehearsing (amongst other things) as he was obsessed with making Nirvana as big as The Beatles. Hard work and genius elevated Nirvana above all contemporaries.

Pity he bitched and moaned about being huge if he was into making Nirvana as huge as the Beatles.

I like Nirvana, but felt, and still do, that they were a little too highly rated. There were much much better bands out at the time but they had the poster boy.

Their output was good of course.

Pity he bitched and moaned about being huge if he was into making Nirvana as huge as the Beatles.

I like Nirvana, but felt, and still do, that they were a little too highly rated. There were much much better bands out at the time but they had the poster boy.

I always preferred Mudhoney myself.

He bitched and moaned about everything.  He was paradoxical.  This quote sums it up better than I could.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDs7K9EksUY

• 7 months later...

Got to love Dave...

'I think I just broke my leg': Dave Grohl finishes show after Sweden stage plunge

Foo Fighters frontman returns to the stage in Gothenburg after treatment, completing the set with his bandaged leg propped up in front of him

Ruth McKee

Published:01:00 BST Sat 13 June 2015

Foo Fighters frontman Dave Grohl has endeared himself further to thousands of fans after plunging from the stage during a gig, injuring his leg but still managing to finish the set.

The band were just two songs into their performance at the Ullevi Stadium in Gothenburg, Sweden, on Friday night when Grohl plummeted over the side of the stage during a particularly enthusiastic rendition of Monkey Wrench.

Left lying on the ground but with microphone still firmly clutched in hand, Grohl told the crowd: “I think I just broke my leg. I’m going to go to hospital. I’m going to fix my leg and then I’m going to come back.”

Medics whisked him backstage for treatment while the band played on, with drummer Taylor Hawkins taking over the frontman role temporarily to soothe the crowd.

But determined not to let a potentially broken bone stand in the way of finishing a gig, the rock star returned to the stage and finished the concert from the safety of a seat with his leg bandaged and propped up in front of him.

He reportedly told the Swedish crowd: “I may not be able to walk or run but I can still play guitar and scream.”

British fans will be reassured that both his voice and guitar appear unaffected by the dive, however it remains to be seen whether the incident will affect scheduled performances at Wembley Stadium next weekend and at Glastonbury on 26 June.

The former Nirvana drummer’s fall comes a month after U2’s The Edge was left injured after accidentally walked off the edge of the stage of the Rogers Arena in Vancouver.

http://gu.com/p/49nxn

• Upvote 1

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Sounds about right. Although I really liked Wasting Light too

I was reading an interview from Josh Homme the other week about how he was struggling with the lyrics for Fortress on Villians and a pissed up Dave Grohl crashed the studio and told Homme 'not every song will be your best song' before Mark Ronson turfed him out.

That quote directly tells you everything you need to know about their latest offerings IMO.

As others have said, Foos are patchy as fuck but do have some great singles. However, unlike the rest of you (it seems), I never liked Nirvana, just never got it. Don't like (or even own) Nevermind, I hate SLTS with a vengeance, in fact the only lp of theirs I ever did like was their last one, In Utero.

Hence my vote.

I was reading an interview from Josh Homme the other week about how he was struggling with the lyrics for Fortress on Villians and a pissed up Dave Grohl crashed the studio and told Homme 'not every song will be your best song' before Mark Ronson turfed him out.

"Shut the fuck up and sit on the drum stool" would have been my response.