You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Islamic Positive Thread

Anny Road

Just like facts to form opinions on. Opinion polls done by proffessional pollsters are as close as you'll get when wanting to know what people believe.

That was another joke by the way. Anyway I think polls work well enough for voting preferences etc. But for complicated questions they can be pretty misleading.

If you meant SD's comment, no it really isn't mate.  It's mainly seen as a Shi'a thing, Sunni's aren't generally on board with it but here is just one clear and straightforward explanation of it.

http://www.al-islam.org/shiite-encyclopedia-ahlul-bayt-dilp-team/al-taqiyya-dissimulation-part-1

To be clear, that is an explanation of the fact that deliberate duplicity in terms of hiding one's religious views if the individual perceives that not doing so will endanger them is considered to be supported by verses from the Qur'an and also by Islamic scholars who frankly know more about the subject than you, me and SD put together.

I know Danny gets his far share of shite on here, always has, and I know he invites a lot of it but I believe in replying to the post, not the poster and in this case his comment is accurate.  Of course you could ask the same question of anybody regardless of religion - can you ever truly know another person's mind - but the fact that the religion (or at least one sect of it) specifically allows, even encourages it's followers to lie in those circumstances is pretty fucking relevant.

Even so, I'm more concerned with people's actions than their thoughts.  The minute we start trying to tell people what they are allowed to think as opposed to what they are allowed to do, we're into very dangerous ground.

Bear in mind here that I do not have any axe to grind with muslims in general.  My neighbours on both sides are muslims; during Ramadan this year they were bringing me snacks round most nights when they broke their fast, I put about half a stone on.  Lovely people.  Perhaps they see me as a representative of an imperialist Christian oppressor and would like to feed my lungs to their children, I don't know - I just like chicken chat puri.

SD's comment was verging on Brass Eye. I wasn't disputing the existence of Taqiyya. 

I was quite surprised to see that India has almost as many Muslims as Pakistan.

Its quite interesting that we now seem to define people by being Muslim more rather than being Lebanese,Syrian,Pakistani,Indian etc as this seems to create a separation of people well before they ever get a chance to meet and discuss each others views and personalities.

I would guess that if your country is constantly under occupation or battles are being fought all over it then it would be much easier for extreme elements to recruit and thrive under the circumstances.

For the record,I have never answered a survey in my life regarding my truthful views and opinions and always treat the non political ones with a bit of scepticism.

That said,there are some right nasty fuckers in some of these Muslim dominated countries but I suppose the personal nature of their killings as opposed to just pressing a button in Washington and directing a Drone into a village in Pakistan or firing from a button in a helicopter seems much less brutal.

"Its quite interesting that we now seem to define people by being Muslim more rather than being Lebanese, Syrian, Pakistani, Indian etc..."

Boring, ignorant bullshit and I am actually being polite here.

In the religion in question, it is a sin to divide followers by ethnicity into nations. There is one nation of followers and the infidels. That is the only acceptable distinction. It is a heavy sin to establish ethnical or political differences or national borders among followers of the religion in question.

So again, I don't think anyone gives a shit of what you think about how you would like to subdivide the followers of the religion in question, for them there is one only true nation.  I'd strongly urge you to leave your romantic pseudohumanistic idealism on the side, and study about the subject you are discussing about.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

"Its quite interesting that we now seem to define people by being Muslim more rather than being Lebanese, Syrian, Pakistani, Indian etc..."

Boring, ignorant bullshit and I am actually being polite here.

In the religion in question, it is a sin to divide followers by ethnicity into nations. There is one nation of followers and the infidels. That is the only acceptable distinction. It is a heavy sin to establish ethnical or political differences or national borders among followers of the religion in question.

Tell that to the Sunnis who are happy to slaughter Shia in their thousands.  Perhaps the Iraqis and the Iranians have always got on, they've just kept very quiet about it.  You can't have it both ways.  

Lads, lads, we're all one 

Typical Stalinist reaction from an ignorant gulag times admirer(Vladimirillych). No surprises there. 

How many times did Israel have to defend itself from a United Muslim attack? How many Muslim countries recognise Israel?

... and yes, Shias are considered as evil's as infidels. Iran's worst enemy remains Saudi Arabia.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

Typical Stalinist reaction from an ignorant gulag times admirer(Vladimirillych). No surprises there.

How many times did Israel have to defend itself from a United Muslim attack? How many Muslim countries recognise Israel?

... and yes, Shias are considered as evil's as infidels. Iran's worst enemy remains Saudi Arabia.

You really are an idiot if you believe that my username is anything like my real life persona.

I take it you are a nocturnal feline who prowls along walls while shitting in neighbours gardens?

For the record,Lenin and Stalin were very different people.

• Upvote 7

At the risk of reopening an arguement here's a decent article on moderate Muslims. I won't copy it in full as it's pretty long.

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/5930764

Good article, thanks for posting

I think the problem lies in the fact that unlike Christian and Jews, Muslims seem unprepared to question God's existence and haven't quite got the hang of drinking beer 

• 3 weeks later...