You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Crystal Palace vs Liverpool (May 3 2014)

WhiskeyJar

Funnily enough, I remember doing my nut in when that Gayle scored a consolation against us at Anfield when we were 3-0 up at Anfield and the fella who sits next to us was ripping me. 'Calm down, lad', they're not coming back. My point was that it's a poor habit to get into and shows a lack of concentration. Every time this season we've been 3, 4, 5 goals better off than a team and we've conceded, it's done my head because it's complacency; a lack of focus in finishing the job.

I'm not going to throw the baby out with the bath water because of tonight. The style of football we've played this season has propelled us to where we are now, but the reality is, you can't concede 2 and 3 goals a game the amount of times we have this season and not expect it to come back and bite you on the arse. What we need now this summer is fine tuning. Rodgers' job is sorting things out at the back without compromising our attacking play and maybe learning to be a bit streetwise at times. That second was the prime example of the latter. We were still in control. All we had to do was take the sting out of the game and slow things down. Straight from kick off though we gave it away to give them another sniff, and Coutinho needs to take that booking when Bolasie is getting away from him.

From this position, the biggest crime would be not building on what's still been a good season. The last two times we finished second, we failed to do that in the summer and signed some right fucking dross. Both occasions, it set us back years. We can't afford another summer like '02 and '09. We have to get it right. Hopefully, this will be a learning curve and we'll be back stronger and that little bit wiser next season.

• Upvote 2

Very surprised Brendan didn't bring on Agger or Toure when Palace threw 3 forwards on. If you look at the 3rd goal, Sakho is picking up a man & Skrtel is marking 2 others & I am still fuming that Coutinho didn't take the yellow on the 2nd goal when he could have tripped Bolassie.

Overall though we have been brilliant this season & still have a small chance of bring the league home so I am not going to overdo the complaints.

Skrtel was marking one player, then he suddenly thought leaving that man for another player was a good idea - a second before the ball landed on the head of that player, making it easy to head the ball on to the unmarked player. Its so poor defending its criminal. Just criminal. Thats a type of defending that 7 years can do - not a fucking LFC player!!! ... That just might be a reason to let Skrtel go. Fuck me, that kind of defending just shouldnt be possible. Sakho or Agger would never ever do that kind of mistake.

Thanks to these kind of defensive errors we've lost the title - Gerrard falling and poor defensive play today, by Johnson (again), Skrtel and Flanagan. The 2nd goal should have NEVER EVER happen. The players had fucking ONE (ONE!!!!!!!!) player to mark in the area - and Flanno was 3 meters away from him letting him take the shot!!... It just should not be possible!!

For 75 minutes we were immaculate, what should of been one consolation goal should in no way lead to us collapsing like we did.

It was just a total lack of discipline. We should have just shut up shop and seen the last few minutes out but  practically the whole team went charging forward from the restart in search of a fourth goal, why?

It`s been a great league campaign but I`m fucking fuming with us after that, the truth is we bottled it.

Blown it in the last 2 games- didn't need to force it against Chelsea, a draw would have done, and at 3-1 today we could have shut up shop- but this team isn't built for that.

We've had too many individual mistakes at the back, but its not just that, the defensive set up isn't right. Skrtel and Sakho are potential good enough individually but who's the organizer? Carra ended up playing a season longer than he should have because we needed an organizer. Biggest signing we need is someone to organize the defense.

I'm sure Brendan will learn from this season and maybe temper the attacking intent with a bit more caution. Its just a shame that we had such a good chance with 3 games to go.

Devastated for Luis tonight and Stevie last week- they deserved more.

ANyway, great season overall, thinking back to last season when we were scrabbling around between 6th and 8th, would never have expected us to get 2nd.

That's a given the players should know that anyway, those 3 teams took pleasure from ending our title dream, I want us to inflict similar pain on them in the future.

Well, Chelsea and Palace took points of us in football games, how dare they?

Not that I don't think Mourinho and Pulis are cunts like.

It's impossible to get too pissed off because we've massively overachieved this season. People have been getting a bit carried away I think with what potential this side has got, but it's basically a superb strikeforce and an ageing captain, the rest of the squad is nowhere near the quality of champions. It's like giving Rocky shit for losing on points to Apollo Creed. We're not a technically gifted boxer we're a hard-headed slugger that just didn't know when to stay down, and we deserve massive credit for that. Until the dust settles though it's gonna hurt.

We've conceded far too many goals, irrelevant of goals scored. We have the 10th best defense this season. You can't say the quality of our defense, man for man is 10th best, because it's not. We've underachieved defensively, and it's not purely because we get men forward to attack IMO. Our defensive structure has been poor throughout. We drop too deep into our box, and our defenders regularly make poor/risky decisions when pressing the opposition.

I thought all we'd need is a top left back in terms of defensive reinforcements this season, but I think I might be wrong. I think to play Rodgers system and not leak goals left right and centre is going to require highly intelligent, top quality defenders to make up for the gaps we are going to leave when pushing men forward and getting the decision making right when pressing and playing out from the back. Good solid defenders are going to be made to look worse than they are playing in this team.