You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Youth Team/Cup

old skool tom

• 2 months later...

So who is this Nat Phillips kid then? Has he overtook Conor Masterson as the best young CB prospect in the academy?

He was picked up after he was released by Bolton. I'd still have Masterson as the better of the 2 personally. That said, Phillips has always looked good in the 23s, and has certainly done himself no harm with his performances in pre-season so far.

• Upvote 2

Dunno, he's a bit older.  Masterson certainly looked the favourite last season as he travelled with the squad a fair bit for the CL games.  Maybe we like Phillips too and want to raise his profile to get him a loan (he's 21 so due some proper game time). 

Or maybe Masterson's reaching new contract time (20 years old, maybe - brought in at 16 so might have been a 5 year deal) and we didn't want to bring him along if the negotiations are ongoing.

Masterson is out injured at the moment. I rate him really highly and think he is a good bit better than Philips. However, philips has taken his chance and good luck to him.

I'm loving the level of quality in our academy. A lot of them look like premiership/higher championship players in the making so it keeps the money coming in to keep it moving until we produce the next superstar.

• Upvote 1

Dunno, he's a bit older.  Masterson certainly looked the favourite last season as he travelled with the squad a fair bit for the CL games.  Maybe we like Phillips too and want to raise his profile to get him a loan (he's 21 so due some proper game time). 

Or maybe Masterson's reaching new contract time (20 years old, maybe - brought in at 16 so might have been a 5 year deal) and we didn't want to bring him along if the negotiations are ongoing.

He signed a new contract in June

Pro contracts can only be signed at 17 and for a max of 3 years btw. Can sign contracts up to 5 years after they are 18.

I don't think any of our CBs in the U23s will be good enough for us btw. Nat Philips is older than Joe Gomez for instance, and he's not close to his level, in my opinion. Would be good to be proved wrong though.

• Upvote 1

He signed a new contract in June

Pro contracts can only be signed at 17 and for a max of 3 years btw. Can sign contracts up to 5 years after they are 18.

I don't think any of our CBs in the U23s will be good enough for us btw. Nat Philips is older than Joe Gomez for instance, and he's not close to his level, in my opinion. Would be good to be proved wrong though.

Depends really. The level we are moving towards is elite level where very few young lads are going to be good enough. Think lads like Brewster,Jones and Masterson are top class for their age but it's a gigantic jump for them. Put it like this, i would consider Lovren as probably the weakest link in our team and he's a good centre half that has excelled in a Croatian team that got to the wc final. I never thought i would consider lovren a good centre half but that's a credit to how he has done recently.

Depends really. The level we are moving towards is elite level where very few young lads are going to be good enough. Think lads like Brewster,Jones and Masterson are top class for their age but it's a gigantic jump for them. Put it like this, i would consider Lovren as probably the weakest link in our team and he's a good centre half that has excelled in a Croatian team that got to the wc final. I never thought i would consider lovren a good centre half but that's a credit to how he has done recently.

Fair point.

Perhaps a better comparison is I don't think any of our current CBs are as good as Wisdom or Coady were (I know Coady mainly played in midfield for us, but he's playing CB now).

• 2 weeks later...

No Phillips or Jones then.

Never heard of Christie-Davies.  Apparently a 20 year old Chelsea player we nabbed on a free.  The next Kevin Stewart?

Played a few games for us at the back end of last season. Comes across as a good lad, but I've not seen anything of him yet to suggest he'll be anything but a squad player in the reserves.

Glatzel at the double as U18s hit six at Sunderland

Liverpool U18s made a storming start to 2018-19 with a 6-1 win away at Sunderland on Saturday, writes Steve Hunter.

The young Reds produced an impressive display in Barry Lewtas' first competitive fixture in charge to get their U18 Premier League campaign up and running in style. Paul Glatzel netted twice, including a penalty, and debutant Bobby Duncan also registered a spot-kick. Rhys Williams, Abdi Sharif and Jack Walls were also on the mark.

Reflecting on the win, Lewtas told Liverpoolfc.com: "The boys played some really good stuff and overall it was a good solid performance. We worked really hard during pre-season and this is a great start for us. We will have some tough challenges ahead but this win is great for the confidence."

Liverpool U18s: B Williams, Walls, Larouci, R Williams, Clayton, Ritaccio (Dixon-Bonner), Sharif, Cain, Glatzel, Duncan (Clarkson), Tagseth (Longstaff).

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/academy/311526-liverpool-u18s-sunderland-match-report

• Upvote 1