You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mohamed Salah

WhiskeyJar

2 hours ago, Kevin D said:

Me, after 65 minutes:

This is an absolutely scandalous performance from Mo’, he’s giving the ball constantly, mis hitting chances. Sub someone on who can really take these chances.

[Salah goes off at 70 minutes]

Me, at 90 minutes:

Why did you all our chances dry up?

There is no movement.

Where did all our good attacking play go?

We really need Mo’ back on this pitch, he will hurt these. 

This is exactly my point. People think chances just come by magic and just bury them. Creating chances, being in the right place for chances is an actual art form. Mo Salah is a brilliant footballer because things happen when he's on the pitch. He's a brilliant footballer because you notice when he's not on the pitch. He's not a genius footballer because he misses way too many. But it's way too many more than a normal footballer would get anyway.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Smell The Glove said:

This is exactly my point. People think chances just come by magic and just bury them. Creating chances, being in the right place for chances is an actual art form. Mo Salah is a brilliant footballer because things happen when he's on the pitch. He's a brilliant footballer because you notice when he's not on the pitch. He's not a genius footballer because he misses way too many. But it's way too many more than a normal footballer would get anyway.

He was atrocious against Man Utd in that cup game.

He would have scored or created the match-winning 3rd goal, if he’d stayed on, though.

I’m certain of it, now.

34 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

No pen there for me. The defender withdraws and plants his foot and Salah bangs into his static leg. He's had plenty of genuine penalties denied but not this one for me.

He sticks a leg out and obstructs salah from getting the ball and being through on goal. Seems quite a blatant one to me. 

47 minutes ago, Aventus said:

He sticks a leg out and obstructs salah from getting the ball and being through on goal. Seems quite a blatant one to me. 

I wouldn't give it and it doesn't concern me that this one wasn't. Others should have but not this.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I wouldn't give it and it doesn't concern me that this one wasn't. Others should have but not this.

It's more of a penalty than the ones given to Chelsea and Newcastle. You could argue that they shouldn't have been given either - but they were. When you factor in the threshold for free kicks Coote had established for himself whenever Brighton players tumbled to the floor, not giving this is pretty scandalous really.

• Upvote 1

Amazed this isn't on page 1. A not really football-interested friend came round and watched 20 minutes of this, his most pertinent comment was asking when Salah last scored when cutting back in and trying to curl one into the goal. I couldn't say, he tries this a couple of time a game it seems, but I honestly can't remember the last time he pulled it off. He's always been really profligate, but really needs to step up now, he's been way below his usual standards since his purple patch over a year ago. We're often prone to a mistake at the back, but it's nothing compared to what he's been doing up front.

11 minutes ago, Mudface said:

Amazed this isn't on page 1. A not really football-interested friend came round and watched 20 minutes of this, his most pertinent comment was asking when Salah last scored when cutting back in and trying to curl one into the goal. I couldn't say, he tries this a couple of time a game it seems, but I honestly can't remember the last time he pulled it off. He's always been really profligate, but really needs to step up now, he's been way below his usual standards since his purple patch over a year ago. We're often prone to a mistake at the back, but it's nothing compared to what he's been doing up front.

He's been more efficient this season than he was last and missed a chunk through Afcon/Injury.

16 goals in the league so far this season with a shots to goals ratio better than last season (which granted could change) suggests that while he didn't have a good game today he's probably not the issue.

That first season there was placement and enough power on his shots when he cut inside. The last couple of season there has been neither  

He looks more a provider than main goal threatbnow. As his eye fir a assist has improved the rest has declined. 

A true legend, but there is a time for everything.

He does not have the required quality to be a starter for us anymore if we have any ambition to win the league.

One shocking performance after the other in recent weeks. The weakest shot of any player on top level.

We should cash in if possible.

• Downvote 1

On 02/04/2024 at 09:30, Rushies tash said:

It's more of a penalty than the ones given to Chelsea and Newcastle. You could argue that they shouldn't have been given either - but they were. When you factor in the threshold for free kicks Coote had established for himself whenever Brighton players tumbled to the floor, not giving this is pretty scandalous really.

I can't comment on other incidents as I don't watch much other football at all.

His general play has been pretty scratchy, and occasionally dreadful, for a long while. The goals (and assists) have made up for it, but when he's been as profligate as he has been for the last couple of games, you do start to wonder if him going in the summer would be the worst thing in the world.

28 minutes ago, Judge said:

He does not have the required quality to be a starter for us anymore if we have any ambition to win the league.

Steady on.  We're all pissed off, but that's silly talk, even by the standards of this place.

• Upvote 3

We can't sell him now, it's April.

Sell him in the summer. He'll be 32, and the Saudis or PSG will still give us £100m for him. It's either that or he leaves on a free the following season as I really can't see the club giving him half a million quid a week until he's 35/36. 

• Upvote 1

His little reversed/angled balls into space for the player running beyond him are as good as ever.  He's brilliant at that.

But that right footed slice in the six yard box in the second half is more typical of his current form.  It was poor.

It was better than Nunez's awful slice, though, so there's no point in selling him.

If he was out injured, there'd be a 50 page thread on here begging for updates on his comeback to the side.