You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

New Centre Back please Brendan

Gym Beglin

Not one to criticise players usually but Lucas's 2nd half performance was absolutely shocking, needs to be a lot better than that next week against those cunts, all in all piss poor 2nd half display but we grinded out the win which is something we don't normally do.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rodgers wants a more established winger so that we can use Sterling and Ibe as cover rather than start one of them. Aspas looks to be a good player but if we can get someone in better than him (or even just more comfortable on the wing) then he's the perfect cover/competition for Sturridge. Suarez will likely be deployed on the left or right' date=' depending on if we get a good winger in and what side he plays since the manager has said he wants a left-winger, I believe he'd prefer to play Suarez on the right.

Henderson would get dropped for the new man right now in most games. I like his energy and he's shown he can deliver a good cross and finish well when he gets in positions to do so but he doesn't do that often. I'd feel much better with him coming off the bench than Allen especially against larger sides. In the short time he was on today I saw the ball go just over his head on more than one occasion, you can argue he should be jumping but for me he just looked well smaller than everyone else around him.

I would like a new CB so that Agger has to look over his shoulder when he makes silly mistakes but I don't see the need for another DM because Henderson can play there if need be so long as we have a better option from the start. Lucas was fine today bar a few instances in the second half and to be honest the whole team looked like they smoked a carton of ciggies at half time for some reason.[/quote']

Fair enough. I'm a fan of Lucas ever since he came here, always felt that the slag he got at the first season was undeserved, but everyone has their own shitty day, and I can't see Henderson covering for him if Lucas is having a bad day, as Lucas's defensive abilities is much better. We don't have to sign a 20m dm, just get one that is decent enough so that when Lucas is having a bad game someone can sub in for him and lower the chances of us losing.

Do we really need reminding that form is temporary, while class is permanent?

There's a reason Agger is wanted by the likes of Barcelona. He's one of the best ball-playing centre backs out there, and loyal to LFC. If this is a windup, it's a ridiculous one. If it's not, then it's just sad.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Played two league games. Conceded no goals. Bin one of the centrebacks and the holding midfielder.

Is there any way we might be able to improve on Lucas? Sure, the last two results have been good (thanks, Simon) but does that mean we can't improve on that position?

Is there any way we might be able to improve on Lucas? Sure, the last two results have been good (thanks, Simon) but does that mean we can't improve on that position?

We can improve on every position.

Having one shot on target in the whole game was more of a problem.

Lucas was probably the best player on the pitch in the first half. Him and Gerrard were in complete control of the game. Then second half Lucas, as well as most of the rest of the team, faded.

People don't like him, whatevs. The manager does, so yo mama.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Having one shot on target in the whole game was more of a problem.

If you judge from one game, away, when the tactics were different to most of our games, then our attack seems the main problem. But, as we know, it is the strongest area of the pitch. We had more shots than anybody in Europe last year, we've scored more than another other side in the league in 2013.

With that in mind, the occasional game where we go away and try to contain the opposing team's counter attacks don't cause people to think we need a new attack.

Lucas was probably the best player on the pitch in the first half. Him and Gerrard were in complete control of the game. Then second half Lucas, as well as most of the rest of the team, faded.

People don't like him, whatevs. The manager does, so yo mama.

It's not about not liking him, it's about what he has offered over the past season and what he can offer going forward. I wish he was a bit more mobile, I wish he could burst forward from deep areas, but he can't.

I think we're three top players away from giving City and Chelsea a real run for their money. DM is one of those.

If you judge from one game' date=' away, when the tactics were different to most of our games, then our attack seems the main problem. But, as we know, it is the strongest area of the pitch. We had more shots than anybody in Europe last year, we've scored more than another other side in the league in 2013.

With that in mind, the occasional game where we go away and try to contain the opposing team's counter attacks don't cause people to think we need a new attack.

It's not about not liking him, it's about what he has offered over the past season and what he can offer going forward. I wish he was a bit more mobile, I wish he could burst forward from deep areas, but he can't.

I think we're three top players away from giving City and Chelsea a real run for their money. DM is one of those.[/quote']

Do you think when we play a flat 2 in midfield the manager wants Lucas bursting forward? I don't think he does and Lucas is offering tactically what the manager wants. My only worry is can he capture his form from before over a long period and 90mins per game. So far this season he's had 2 very good 1st periods and 2 very ordinary to poor 2nd's.

But the manager trusts him, so I think he's safe for now. Just posted similar on the MF I just think Rodgers see other priorities this season, we're in sell to buy, so is giving Lucas 12 months to prove himself before making a call on who to bring in. We may even see a move for someone in January if its not working out.

If you judge from one game, away, when the tactics were different to most of our games, then our attack seems the main problem. But, as we know, it is the strongest area of the pitch. We had more shots than anybody in Europe last year, we've scored more than another other side in the league in 2013.

I think we're three top players away from giving City and Chelsea a real run for their money. DM is one of those.

Ok. Well I completely disagree.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Do you think when we play a flat 2 in midfield the manager wants Lucas bursting forward?

I think he'd like some attacking ability from deep, but we don't have the players for it so we're playing a certain way. But when you listen to the manager talk, he talks about having a single pivot and not a double pivot. At the moment, we've got the players for the latter. Eventually, I expect to see two more attacking players in midfield, or at least one that can do both.

Even then, that's not my main point. I'm saying I want a player coming from deep to offer drive from midfield. Like so many top teams have. The point I'm making, even when we're playing with two deeper players, I don't think Lucas has the ability to do a particularly good job. He leaves areas uncovered because he doesn't have the legs.

He tries hard and does okay. There's little more there than that, in my opinion. It's only when we bring somebody with those abilities in that people will see just how big a difference it makes. We get used to what we're seeing a lot of the time. Put Suarez or Reges or Martinez, or a player of their ilk, in that space and see how much more dynamic we become. In my opinion.

Nope. Haven't said that.

I was only joking, baby puppy. You said you completely disagreed whilst quoting the part about our attack.

Lucas sits, Gerrard goes. That's how I see their midfield duties anyway.

Lucas has started well this season, long may it continue. Should he fall back to last season's standard, he'll have to be replaced. I think his injury was the reason and he'll be back to his real self this season.

I hope so, anyway.

Bollocks.

So you're suggesting that bringing in another player would make Lucas play harder somehow, as if he's been holding back on the pitch? If you want to bring in a better player, I'm all for it. But the idea that having someone on the bench ready to take his place will improve his performance is crazy.

He is what he is - a grafter with no pace. If play is within a certain diameter of where he is, he does well. If not, players run right past him.

I think he'd like some attacking ability from deep' date=' but we don't have the players for it so we're playing a certain way. But when you listen to the manager talk, he talks about having a single pivot and not a double pivot. At the moment, we've got the players for the latter. Eventually, I expect to see two more attacking players in midfield, or at least one that can do both.

Even then, that's not my main point. I'm saying I want a player coming from deep to offer drive from midfield. Like so many top teams have. The point I'm making, even when we're playing with two deeper players, I don't think Lucas has the ability to do a particularly good job. He leaves areas uncovered because he doesn't have the legs.

He tries hard and does okay. There's little more there than that, in my opinion. It's only when we bring somebody with those abilities in that people will see just how big a difference it makes. We get used to what we're seeing a lot of the time. Put Suarez or Reges or Martinez, or a player of their ilk, in that space and see how much more dynamic we become. In my opinion.

I was only joking, baby puppy. You said you completely disagreed whilst quoting the part about our attack.[/quote']

I see what you're saying and another player in there with those attributes would have been a priority for me for a number of seasons. But I just think Rodgers is not that unhappy and wants to spend what money he has elsewhere and this type of player will be more likely in the next window or summer.

Yes' date=' the last 15 minutes were not as it was then. More to do with the 3 forwards stopping pressing than the midfield stopping dong their job. That's where we need better players.[/quote']

Exactly. Sturridge in particular took long breaks (somewhat understandable given his lack of match fitness) from defensive duty. Combined with losing the ball at every opportunity it created an immense workload for our midfield.

Re back when we were good, we notmally just played it back into the hands of Brucie when we needed a breather...

Agger and Johnson are the two weak links defensively.

Neither are bad, both are good players - but I think Mignolet, Toure and Enrique are very solid. Lucas and Gerrard have both done a really good job defensively so far this season.

I'd like to see a DM come and offer competition for Lucas, because if he gets injured we'll be significantly weaker as no one can do the job he does half as well in the current squad.