You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

A good win' date=' a 100% record, no goals against and the best start since the halcyon days of Rafa.

We got the rub of the green on the refereeing too when Toure charged benteke in the box.

Mignolet is also vindicating King Brenny's judgement in replacing Pepe. Are we worse off without him on the pitch? No. But FSf are £60k a wek better off- smart business.

Sturridge is looking the business, focussed and committed, Couts continues to impress and Gerrard is playing with a smile on his face.

Reasons to be cheerful.[/quote']

That was never a pen in a million years. Benteke just bounced off toure, 6 of 1 and all that. Benteke didn't even appeal.

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think we really learned anything from the game, other than that we are developing the ability to grind out results.

If that was the mancs under Ferguson they probably would have nicked another goal or two towards the end to put the game to bed, and that's where we have to improve a bit. Put another goalscorer in this team, along with Suarez, and we will looking very good indeed.

We also need someone to put pressure on Lucas' place but it doesn't look like we're going to have the money for that this window, so we'll just have to hope that he can find his best form in the meantime.

It seems I'm the only one who doesn't think it was a pen for Sturridge. To me it looked like Guzan got his fingers on the ball too.

Thought it was pretty clear on the front-shot Captain, that he got hands on the ball & the ref got that one right. To be fair, Daniel didn't even moan about it ( Although he may have been too shagged to do so at that point ).

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Thought it was pretty clear on the front-shot Captain' date=' that he got hands on the ball & the ref got that one right. To be fair, Daniel didn't even moan about it ( Although he may have been too shagged to do so at that point ).[/quote']

I'll have to watch that one again. I didn't think he got a touch the first time I saw the replay.

Thought it was pretty clear on the front-shot Captain, that he got hands on the ball & the ref got that one right. To be fair, Daniel didn't even moan about it ( Although he may have been too shagged to do so at that point ).

The player not claiming it is always a good sign for it not being a pen.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
It was a clear penalty.

I've got to agree. Just watched it back in slow motion. On one angle it does look like Guzan might have got a touch, but from the other it's clearly Sturridge who touches it and takes it around him. Clear pen, for me.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Guzan got the ball.

Not on this HD version I've downloaded he doesn't! He might well get it in the 4k version, though. Not checked it. Is it in the DVD extras?

Guest Numero Veinticinco
He gets on that version too.

Just watched it ten times and can't see it. All I see is Sturridge toeing it around him as Guzan comes to get it. I don't blame the ref for not giving it, because from the front - when depth is much more difficult to judge - it looks like he touched it, because his hand moves as the ball does. When you see it from the side, though, there's no touch.

I'm just glad it didn't matter in the end. Mignolet would have routined the fuck out of that penalty save, anyway.

He gets on that version too.

So, Clattenberg suddenly has eyes like a hawk and is able to discern, from 30 yards away, what at best was the faintest of touches, if any, from Guzan, when moments earlier, he was unable to see clear contact (in fact, a fantastic tackle) from Lucas, when he was probably less than 10 yards away?

The modern interpretation of a foul tackle seems to be that it no longer matters that a player makes contact with the ball first, if some other part of his body brings down the opponent on the follow-through ( as opposed to the interpretation that I grew up with). Seemed to me that irrespective of whether Guzan made any contact with the ball with his hand, he certainly took Sturridge down as he slid into him.

I was referring to the rub of the green. When Guzan brought down Sturridge, I thought we deserved a pen. That's not really getting the rub of the green.

It;s all opinion. Mine is that there is no link between the two. Guzan got his fingers to the ball first, the replay shows that, Toure shoved Benteke off the ball, the replay shows that.

I hope we get a penalty whenever the ball is in the opponents box, whether that is deserved is another matter. but whatever your take, we, and Toure, were very fortunate.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Of course there's a link between the two when you're talking about rub of the green.

For me, as clear as day, the replay shows he didn't touch it at all. Doesn't matter, we won.

I think the Toure incident was soft. Seen them given. Sturridge, clear pen.

Of course there's a link between the two when you're talking about rub of the green.

For me, as clear as day, the replay shows he didn't touch it at all. Doesn't matter, we won.

I think the Toure incident was soft. Seen them given. Sturridge, clear pen.

What? The replays absolutely show the keeper touches the ball first.

What? The replays absolutely show the keeper touches the ball first.

Thought at the time it was a pen although I was desperate for us to get a 2nd and put the game to bed.

The angles motd had of it made it look like guzan got a touch but he may have gone through sturridge a bit to get it.

Ronnie Moran - back at Melwood - Liverpool FC

Dunno where to post, watched this last night on LFC TV, thought was good.

Thanks for that, good to see him again. I saw his last few seasons but spent almost as much time cursing him as cheering him - a bit like Carra was in Kennys last season. Nice to see the club giving him the access to Melwood. One of the best, everything the club stands for.

Does anyone know how ex-players get on for match tickets? Should kick some of the freeloaders out and have a corporate box for players who were here a long time or finished their careers here. Sorry, off topic, but I didn't start it:smile: