You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• 2 months later...
30 minutes ago, Rushies tash said:

The snowdrops have come up in our front garden too. First signs of spring. Lovely. 

53528819586_6072e81413_c.jpg

You want to get that dandelion out now while the ground’s still wet

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Redder Lurtz said:

Right. I'm gonna grow some veg this year. I've got a reasonable size paved yard, no borders, so I'll grow in large pots and troughs. What can I start planting next couple of weeks, GF? 

There’s not much you can sow in February apart from broad beans & garlic/shallots but you can sow seeds indoors to raise seedlings for planting out in the spring but very few seeds will germinate outdoors if sown now. 
You can start chitting your seed potatoes indoors ready for planting out in March  but generally the soil is still too cold for anything else. 
Patience my friend, end of March early April is the best time to get started 

• Upvote 3

18 hours ago, Redder Lurtz said:

Right. I'm gonna grow some veg this year. I've got a reasonable size paved yard, no borders, so I'll grow in large pots and troughs. What can I start planting next couple of weeks, GF? 

You can’t plant anything tender until march maybe April. Although the days are warm it’s still cold at nights.

I’d grow new potatoes and tomatoes. They taste brilliant straight from the plant. You can probably plant potatoes now then buy tomato plants later in the spring 

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Redder Lurtz said:

What kind of things do you want to grow?

And how much sun does it get?

22 minutes ago, Captain Willard said:

To get my son off his screen we made a bee hotel then put it up on the allotment. A nice couple of hours just the 2 of us. I let him use the circular saw as Mrs Willard is out all day. 

IMG_2462.jpeg

IMG_2461.jpeg

I always think these things look good but has anyone ever produced any evidence that bees actually use them?

24 minutes ago, Champ said:

I always think these things look good but has anyone ever produced any evidence that bees actually use them?

I’ll keep you posted on progress. Interestingly I read that there are now so many beehives on roof tops in the trendy parts of London that the bees are starving becuase of a shortage of flowers. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Redder Lurtz said:

Wasn't arsed about potatoes until the Captain mentioned new ones so some of those. Some pulses and some herbs too I reckon. 

I’d grow Pink Firs in grow bags. You can even use a rubble bad full of soil provided you put a few holes in the bottom. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Redder Lurtz said:

Wasn't arsed about potatoes until the Captain mentioned new ones so some of those. Some pulses and some herbs too I reckon. 

I’m not sure what you’re thinking about when you say ‘pulses’.

Herbs are a great idea and saves buying those ones they sell in bags in supermarkets which you end up throwing half of them away.

If you have sun (and you like them) homegrown tomatoes are better than any you’ll buy in the shops here

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Champ said:

I’m not sure what you’re thinking about when you say ‘pulses’.

Herbs are a great idea and saves buying those ones they sell in bags in supermarkets which you end up throwing half of them away.

If you have sun (and you like them) homegrown tomatoes are better than any you’ll buy in the shops here

One of the greatest pleasures in life is on a hot summer’s evening sitting in the garden and drinking chilled white wine and eating your own grown tomatoes straight from the vine with mozzarella and/or olive oil. 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Captain Willard said:

One of the greatest pleasures in life is on a hot summer’s evening sitting in the garden and drinking chilled white wine and eating your own grown tomatoes straight from the vine with mozzarella and/or olive oil. 

The most middle class post ever on the GF.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Section_31 said:

When are people doing their first cut? And what's the best way to overseed and what's the best brand, thanks ta.

It’s too cold and far too wet here (south of London) to even think about cutting the grass. I reckon at least a month to go. 

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 16/03/2024 at 16:56, Rushies tash said:

53591585579_8e6e19a562_c.jpg

Camellias coming out in the garden. Spring definitely here.

I wonder how far ahead you are from here. We’re just back from a long weekend in Northumberland. Less than 100 miles down the road and the difference in the season was quite noticeable…hedgerows were coming into life and daffodils and muscari were everywhere. Back home there are some early daffodils around but we’ve still got snowdrops out too

4 hours ago, Champ said:

I wonder how far ahead you are from here. We’re just back from a long weekend in Northumberland. Less than 100 miles down the road and the difference in the season was quite noticeable…hedgerows were coming into life and daffodils and muscari were everywhere. Back home there are some early daffodils around but we’ve still got snowdrops out too

There have been daffodils coming up in the front and back gardens for a few weeks now. The snowdrops are still there too. The lilac tree is coming too life as well. It did the same last year, but then a cold snap seemed to cut short the time it spent in blossom. It all seems alot earlier, but that might just be me.