Quantcast
Vegetarianism - Page 54 - GF - General Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content

Welcome to the new and improved TLW!

 

Some of you may experience issues logging in and will get an 'incorrect password' error. Don't worry, you haven't typed it in wrong and your password hasn't been changed. You will need to reset it though in order to log in. Click the reset password link and you will receive an email with your new temporary password. Once logged in, you need to choose a new password (or restore to your old one) otherwise you will be locked out again.

 

If you have an out of date email address linked to your account, then you won't receive the new password. If that's the case then you'll need to email me (dave @liverpoolway.co.uk) or send me a tweet @theliverpoolway and I'll update your password manually. 

 

Any other problems or questions just let me know.

 

Thanks

Dave

King Emlyn

Vegetarianism

Are you a vegetarian?  

116 members have voted

  1. 1. Are you a vegetarian?

    • Yes, meat is murder
    • No, I love meat me
    • I should consider it really
    • I have no intention of ever entertaining the idea


Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Pidge said:

Veggie haggis.  Any good?  Any chance of finding any without having to make a bastard trip to fucking Waitrose?

Yeah, there's a few about. Morrisons and Sainsbury's both sell decent ones.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reasons not to consume dairy: 

 

The cow is raped. 

Calves are taken away from their mothers at birth. The mother cries for hours.

Male calves are murdered for "veal".

Female cows undergo the same abuse of as their mother before being slaughtered at age 5.

Vegan milk options are available. 

Vegan cheeses are available. 

 

Reasons not to eat eggs:

 

Baby chicks have their beaks seared off with a hot blade and no anaesthetic.

Male chicks are ground alive in macerators.

Egg-laying hens are raised in cages they can't even turn around in. Most have broken bones or infections by the time they're slaughtered.

 

Animals are already in hell and we are the devil.

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Hades said:

Reasons not to consume dairy: 

 

The cow is raped. 

Calves are taken away from their mothers at birth. The mother cries for hours.

Male calves are murdered for "veal".

Female cows undergo the same abuse of as their mother before being slaughtered at age 5.

Vegan milk options are available. 

Vegan cheeses are available. 

 

Reasons not to eat eggs:

 

Baby chicks have their beaks seared off with a hot blade and no anaesthetic.

Male chicks are ground alive in macerators.

Egg-laying hens are raised in cages they can't even turn around in. Most have broken bones or infections by the time they're slaughtered.

 

Animals are already in hell and we are the devil.

 

 

 

 

This is fair comment, but can you promise by 2020 you won’t have developed a new persona who insists animals bring everything they get on themselves because you once got pecked by a hen you tried to bring home.

  • Upvote 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I only drink Oat milk and keep my own hens. I'm safe from Hades wrath!*

 

 

 

 

 

*On this particular subject.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dr Nowt said:

This is fair comment, but can you promise by 2020 you won’t have developed a new persona who insists animals bring everything they get on themselves because you once got pecked by a hen you tried to bring home.

If hens blame the well-behaved roosters for hens throwing themselves at psychopathic roosters the chicken elders have every right to step in and put them straight rather than buying in to their nonsense. 

  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First week down. Switched from a 5:2 ratio of meat to vegetarian main meals to a 3:4. The three were a pork fillet I didn't really enjoy, a roast chicken which is my absolute favourite (and the thing ill find hardest to kick) and a meal of sustainable mussels and line caught trout which was lovely. Can't say I've felt my life has been changed either way. I'm off this and next week and the meals I've prepped have been quiet time consuming. 

 

Going for a 2:5 next week. Starting with black bean burgers tomorrow. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

First week down. Switched from a 5:2 ratio of meat to vegetarian main meals to a 3:4. The three were a pork fillet I didn't really enjoy, a roast chicken which is my absolute favourite (and the thing ill find hardest to kick) and a meal of sustainable mussels and line caught trout which was lovely. Can't say I've felt my life has been changed either way. I'm off this and next week and the meals I've prepped have been quiet time consuming. 

 

Going for a 2:5 next week. Starting with black bean burgers tomorrow. 

Good effort mate. We started down this path a few years ago and are now mostly meat free. I don't claim to be vegetarian (unlike the wife, who is) but reduce my meat consumption to a level I'm happy with. We don't cook meat at home, I have a bacon butty when I'm at work every other Friday, we'll occasionally go our for breakfast and if we're at either set of parents for a Sunday dinner then I'll eat meat. Oh and we eat eggs from our own hens!

 

It's not even something we think about anymore, it's just how we eat. We have plenty of great cookbooks, grow loads of great veg in the garden and enjoy trying new things. It's pretty easy, really, after a while.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Karl_b said:

Good effort mate. We started down this path a few years ago and are now mostly meat free. I don't claim to be vegetarian (unlike the wife, who is) but reduce my meat consumption to a level I'm happy with. We don't cook meat at home, I have a bacon butty when I'm at work every other Friday, we'll occasionally go our for breakfast and if we're at either set of parents for a Sunday dinner then I'll eat meat. Oh and we eat eggs from our own hens!

 

It's not even something we think about anymore, it's just how we eat. We have plenty of great cookbooks, grow loads of great veg in the garden and enjoy trying new things. It's pretty easy, really, after a while.

Cheers mate. 

 

I'm finding it quite easy. MrsD less so.  Being of French heritage she's a firm meat eater and the French will virtually eat anything with a pulse.  Nothing I've cooked has blown her away even though some of it has been really great. It's all been "alright" or "not as good as *meat equivalent*" 

 

I'm trying not to think of it as being a meat alternative but as a separate thing. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

Cheers mate. 

 

I'm finding it quite easy. MrsD less so.  Being of French heritage she's a firm meat eater and the French will virtually eat anything with a pulse.  Nothing I've cooked has blown her away even though some of it has been really great. It's all been "alright" or "not as good as *meat equivalent*" 

 

I'm trying not to think of it as being a meat alternative but as a separate thing. 

That's absolutely the way to do it. We eat the odd meat substitute (I like Linda McCartney's 1/4lb burgers) and some dishes we eat are often made with meat (curries, chillies, stews) but treating vegetables as the main ingredients for meals just opened me up to a whole world of alternative recipes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

Cheers mate. 

 

I'm finding it quite easy. MrsD less so.  Being of French heritage she's a firm meat eater and the French will virtually eat anything with a pulse.  Nothing I've cooked has blown her away even though some of it has been really great. It's all been "alright" or "not as good as *meat equivalent*" 

 

I'm trying not to think of it as being a meat alternative but as a separate thing. 

 

Good work my friend. 

 

I recently changed my position on the vegetarian stance. At first, I went full in on the veggie options and saw the difference merely because most of my meals became freshly cooked/contained a lot of healthy veg. Then I went into the Quorn/alternatives to see if there were any takers and really there's a few (LMc burgers, Quorn nuggets/fried chicken, their sausage patties aren't too bad neither) but just slumped my mood really. I then was getting fed up of the absolutely shite veggie options in restaurants and whenever we went out with family, nobody really wants to dine at a boss veggie restaurant so I did the usual thing as asked for meal options with substitutes. You'll often get looked at like you're asking for freshly cooked rice at Wetherspoons. 

 

I started speaking to a few friends from work about it all (they've been veggie for years) and one of them said they'd felt in the same position. They said, "just go for the best thing on the menu. If you want the veggie option, do that, if it's the roast chicken, do that. That way you'll stick to your goal of going meat-free with the odd dish here or there." 

 

Quite like that approach if I'm honest. I've naturally been going meat-free and if the options are utter dire then I'll look at the chicken options. Swerving beef/pork though as I've lost all interest in them. Chicken though, found it almost impossible to find an alternative unless it's nuggets. Quorn nuggs are exactly the same in texture and taste. 

 

Went on a bit of a rant here but just thought I'd post it because I'm really important. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Hades said:

Reasons not to consume dairy: 

 

The cow is raped. 

Calves are taken away from their mothers at birth. The mother cries for hours.

Male calves are murdered for "veal".

Female cows undergo the same abuse of as their mother before being slaughtered at age 5.

Vegan milk options are available. 

Vegan cheeses are available. 

 

Reasons not to eat eggs:

 

Baby chicks have their beaks seared off with a hot blade and no anaesthetic.

Male chicks are ground alive in macerators.

Egg-laying hens are raised in cages they can't even turn around in. Most have broken bones or infections by the time they're slaughtered.

 

Animals are already in hell and we are the devil.

 

 

 

 

If they don’t like it, they should stop being so fucking tasty.

 

Nobody to blame but themselves.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, .̯. said:

 

Good work my friend. 

 

I recently changed my position on the vegetarian stance. At first, I went full in on the veggie options and saw the difference merely because most of my meals became freshly cooked/contained a lot of healthy veg. Then I went into the Quorn/alternatives to see if there were any takers and really there's a few (LMc burgers, Quorn nuggets/fried chicken, their sausage patties aren't too bad neither) but just slumped my mood really. I then was getting fed up of the absolutely shite veggie options in restaurants and whenever we went out with family, nobody really wants to dine at a boss veggie restaurant so I did the usual thing as asked for meal options with substitutes. You'll often get looked at like you're asking for freshly cooked rice at Wetherspoons. 

 

I started speaking to a few friends from work about it all (they've been veggie for years) and one of them said they'd felt in the same position. They said, "just go for the best thing on the menu. If you want the veggie option, do that, if it's the roast chicken, do that. That way you'll stick to your goal of going meat-free with the odd dish here or there." 

 

Quite like that approach if I'm honest. I've naturally been going meat-free and if the options are utter dire then I'll look at the chicken options. Swerving beef/pork though as I've lost all interest in them. Chicken though, found it almost impossible to find an alternative unless it's nuggets. Quorn nuggs are exactly the same in texture and taste. 

 

Went on a bit of a rant here but just thought I'd post it because I'm really important. 

Seasons, your name is absolutely fucking tragic, mate. I'd expect nothing less from a meat-eating vegetarian. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Hades said:

Reasons not to consume dairy: 

 

The cow is raped. 

Calves are taken away from their mothers at birth. The mother cries for hours.

Male calves are murdered for "veal".

Female cows undergo the same abuse of as their mother before being slaughtered at age 5.

Vegan milk options are available. 

Vegan cheeses are available. 

 

Reasons not to eat eggs:

 

Baby chicks have their beaks seared off with a hot blade and no anaesthetic.

Male chicks are ground alive in macerators.

Egg-laying hens are raised in cages they can't even turn around in. Most have broken bones or infections by the time they're slaughtered.

 

Animals are already in hell and we are the devil.

 

 

 

 

I genuinely respect your decision to avoid all animal products (chocolate biscuits aside) but your red pilling of this thread, which has a lot of people who share or who are starting to share, the vegetarian/vegan ethos is completely unnecessary. 

 

There hasn't been an invasion of the "mmm bacon is great" brigade for ages 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

I genuinely respect your decision to avoid all animal products (chocolate biscuits aside) but your red pilling of this thread, which has a lot of people who share or who are starting to share, the vegetarian/vegan ethos is completely unnecessary. 

 

There hasn't been an invasion of the "mmm bacon is great" brigade for ages 

It's helpful to keep up the reminders where these things are concerned. I would likewise appreciate feedback on where I was going wrong (as you just did, to your credit). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Hades said:

Reasons not to consume dairy: 

 

The cow is raped. 

Calves are taken away from their mothers at birth. The mother cries for hours.

Male calves are murdered for "veal".

Female cows undergo the same abuse of as their mother before being slaughtered at age 5.

Vegan milk options are available. 

Vegan cheeses are available. 

 

Reasons not to eat eggs:

 

Baby chicks have their beaks seared off with a hot blade and no anaesthetic.

Male chicks are ground alive in macerators.

Egg-laying hens are raised in cages they can't even turn around in. Most have broken bones or infections by the time they're slaughtered.

 

Animals are already in hell and we are the devil.

 

 

 

 

Yet another good reason to leave the fucking EU. We won't have to put up with their Greenpeace, tree hugging bullshit regulations like above. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hank Moody said:

Seasons, your name is absolutely fucking tragic, mate. I'd expect nothing less from a meat-eating vegetarian. 

 

Stuck with it for 30 days. Enjoy it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Hank Moody said:

Yeah, I fell into the same trap with Hank Moody. I was like 'whilst we're all fucking around with our names...' 

 

 

 

Our lives the moment we realised: 

 

giphy.gif

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Hank Moody said:

Yeah, I fell into the same trap with Hank Moody. I was like 'whilst we're all fucking around with our names...' 

 

 

What was your original username?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×