You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Vegetarianism

King Emlyn

Are you a vegetarian?  

138 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a vegetarian?

• Yes, meat is murder
    • No, I love meat me
    • I should consider it really
    • I have no intention of ever entertaining the idea

Vegan food

They only eat natural grown food. 

No preservatives, vegan, fresh etc. 

Stews, Curries, Soup mostly. 

Beans, chickpeas

Good article here

https://www.onegreenplanet.org/vegan-food/how-to-make-your-own-jamaican-ital-food-at-home/

https://veganuary.com/recipes/ital-stew/

https://tropicalsunfoods.com/blogs/our-recipes/ital-curry

http://thevword.net/2015/01/jamaican-ital-curried-jackfruit-with-chickpeas.html

• 1 month later...

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2019/oct/16/meat-the-family-new-reality-tv-show-challenges-carnivores-to-eat-their-pets

Meat the Family: new reality TV show challenges carnivores to eat their 'pets'

Channel 4 programme will follow meat-eaters as they adopt a farm animal that they must cook unless they go vegetarian

It is one of the most shocking ultimatums delivered on television. Go vegetarian or we kill your pet.

But a new British reality TV show called Meat the Family goes even further. Not only will a family of unrepentant carnivores have to let an animal they have adopted and grown to love go for slaughter if they refuse to stop eating meat – they will be asked to cook and eat it.

With experts saying that we have to eat less meat to stave off climate change, the Channel 4 show challenges four heavy meat-eating families to take home and look after the “animal which ends up most often on their plates”.

Analyst Virginia Mouseler called the show “the most transgressive” of the year at MIPCOM, the world’s biggest entertainment market in Cannes, France.

“It is not sex or drugs anymore. Meat is becoming the next taboo,” the influential founder of The Wit database added.

“The question they are asking is how can you cuddle your dog while you are putting another animal in the oven?”

In the first episodes of Meat the Family, that involves a lamb, a pig, a chicken and a calf.

“They have to treat this animal like a member of the family for three weeks,” Mouseler said.

“Then in the end they have to decide whether they put it in the oven” or whether it goes to an animal sanctuary.

Channel 4 said the three hour-long shows will confront “the reality of an animal’s journey from field to plate.”

They said the show also seriously examines “animal behaviour and intelligence, the farming practices required to meet the demands of hungry consumers ... and the environmental impact of the meat industry.”

Daniela Neumann, head of the makers Spun Gold, defended the premise, saying it was taking on “some really timely themes of ethical eating” and well as asking difficult questions.

“Why do we find it acceptable to eat a lamb but we wouldn’t eat our pet dog? Could you go back to meat once you’ve put a name and face to a meal?”

She insisted the series – which will air in the New Year – also contained some “heart-warming moments”.

• 2 months later...

Dipping my toe in this month by committing to a pescatarian January leading to full vegetarianism down the line. Tipping point for me was cooking a 3kg piece of beef a few weeks ago and looking at it in a cm of blood in my roasting tray and thinking "fucking hell, that's a 3kg chunk of an animal's flesh." I'm just back from France eating all their cruelty-fueled confectionery for a fortnight and ready to start. 

Prepping my lunches for next week I'm making a shit load of falafel, some Lentil chilli and rice.

Wish me luck. 

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

Dipping my toe in this month by committing to a pescatarian January leading to full vegetarianism down the line. Tipping point for me was cooking a 3kg piece of beef a few weeks ago and looking at it in a cm of blood in my roasting tray and thinking "fucking hell, that's a 3kg chunk of an animal's flesh." I'm just back from France eating all their cruelty-fueled confectionery for a fortnight and ready to start. 

Prepping my lunches for next week I'm making a shit load of falafel, some Lentil chilli and rice.

Wish me luck. 

Good luck mate.

I look forward to the "Favourite vegetarian sandwich" thread.

Restricting your diet, even for a short period of time is actually a really enlightening process in my experience. I'm a lifelong Vegetarian so may way of doing was by going gluten and lactose free for a month due to my exes diet. It forces you to try new food and think about how you eat, I noticed after a month of eating a lot less carb heavy stuff my appetite changed drastically. I have missed the boat on Veganuary but I hate doing this stuff for fad reasons anyway, so may do some planning and try it in the near future.

Paulie, are you still doing those Simply cook boxes? Loads of really good and cheap veggie dishes in there...

So here I am a week later. Time for a self congratulation. Only a week in, but I'm not yet missing be meat. Ive had 3 fish meals and the rest "plant based."

I feel great. Full of energy. My digestive system working a dream but I have been farting like a thunderstorm. 

After a horrendous incident of MrsD buying Vege burgers which were mashed up veg in breadcrumbs and fucking appalling I've done the shopping and had Quorn fillets whilst mrsD and KidD had chicken. It wasn't the same but it was fine and I didn't feel as though I missed out. 

I guess when we go for meals out, or when I'm pissed it'll be a test of resolve.  Just made a pulse tagine and couscous for my lunches next week and am ready for another week. 

Here are the Vege burgers. Divorce on the cards? 

IMG_20200110_184355.jpg

2 minutes ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

So here I am a week later. Time for a self congratulation. Only a week in, but I'm not yet missing be meat. Ive had 3 fish meals and the rest "plant based."

I feel great. Full of energy. My digestive system working a dream but I have been farting like a thunderstorm. 

After a horrendous incident of MrsD buying Vege burgers which were mashed up veg in breadcrumbs and fucking appalling I've done the shopping and had Quorn fillets whilst mrsD and KidD had chicken. It wasn't the same but it was fine and I didn't feel as though I missed out. 

I guess when we go for meals out, or when I'm pissed it'll be a test of resolve.  Just made a pulse tagine and couscous for my lunches next week and am ready for another week. 

Here are the Vege burgers. Divorce on the cards? 

IMG_20200110_184355.jpg

Mate you need to try these:

2_no_bull_quarter_pounder_burgers_226g_7

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Remmie said:

Tesco Mexican beanburgers and Linda McCartney Mozzarella burgers are the best Veggie burgers I reckon.

I had one of them burgers on Friday. Iceland are doing the Linda McCartney sausages for a quid so my missus sent me to get a few packs and I grabbed the burgers. Lovely. Actually yeah nicer than the no-bull ones.