You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

PFA Player of the Year

Red Banjo

Who will get the nod?  

105 members have voted

1. 1. Who will get the nod?

• Gareth Bale
    • Robin van Persie
    • Luis Suarez
    • Michu
    • Juan Mata
    • Theo Walcott

With only 11 games to go, this will be decided soon.

Firstly, this is not a poll to ask who do you think should win the award - as it would be a landslide for Suarez seeing as we all watch him so much more than any of the other players. Its more of a who do you think will win the honour, from a neutral point of view.

Secondly, i wanted to write a piece about Gareth Bale and figured i'd combine it with this, seeing as it's topical. Basically to outline my sheer amazement at how far some people are going overboard with their praise for him. Let me be clear from the start tho - Bale is an incredible player, i said it in a thread the other week - Spurs are now such a one man team they make Arsenal Van Persie from last season look weak in comparison. But, and its quite a massive but, apparently he is now alongside Messi according to some people, and i find this mind boggling. Messi has scored about a billion goals and has won (probably almost single handedly) just about everything football has to offer. Bale has won nothing. Unless you count his 2 career player of the month awards. Which i do not. And neither should anyone else who knows anything about football. I heard Bale described as being "in a league of his own" yesterday, and today Chris Hughton today called him unplayable, and the "stand out favourite" for Player of the Year. Why? He's had an amazing last few games but isn't this player of the 'SEASON' and not player of the month leading up to PFA awards?

Bale has been brilliant since christmas, and has scored some great goals - but Michu, Suarez and Van Persie have been brilliant since the off in August, with the latter likely to be the reason his team are crowned champions. All this Bale love is all a little bit weird, as suddenly he's now one of the greatest players the game has ever seen. Which he might very well turn out to be, but he's got a long way to go yet.

So anyway, do you find the Bale love a bit nauseating?, and who do you think will win the player of the season award?

Bale will get it.

Suarez should get it.

This is also my thinking.

Vote is probably already done, it'll be

1 RVP

2 Bale

3 Mata

No way they'll give it to Suarez

Are you basing this on all the bollocks from last season TP? If so i don't think the baying masses from last year could swallow Suarez being awarded the top player gong after them trying to hound him out of the country and trying to destroy his name. I can't see him ever winning it for this reason. The cunts.

Luis for me. But he won't get it.

Bale has already won if the usual xenophobic cunts are already bigging him up.

So you didn't read the post? I said we will all vote Suarez as we've seen his brilliance all season long - i asked you to vote for who you think will win it, and you've voted Suarez and then added he won't win it. I did the poll to find out if i'm in the minority and Bale should win it on merit. I'll be honest - i don't watch Match of the Day much any more - so i don't really see much football away from our games.

A also wanted to start a different thread with a decent debate, to keep people away from that fucking horrendous Rafa thread.

All of the above would be very very worthy winners, bar Walcott. In previous years, there has always been one or two players stand out players that deserved to win. This year, there is maybe 5.

I would say that if the vote was since Christmas, then Bale would be the deserved winner. If it was from the start of the season, it would be Michu (great season for a midtable club), RVP (single handedly giving United a shout at winning several trophies), or Luis (a joy to behold).

Suarez won't win this year because for your average middle Inglander he is the "dodgy dago" type, just like Keane only won this award once despite years of being a brilliant player and captain for the Mancs, because he was the violent Irishman to those knobheads that feel that the British sportsmanship is superior to anywhere else in the world. If Keane or Suarez were English, they would have been lauded and their errors would be very nicely forgiven and they would have cleaned up.

I agree that Luis should get it but Bale will get it. Luis's problem, apart from being the embodiment of all that is wrong with football, sport, life, etc., is that we as a club haven't done feck all this year.

Without him, we'd be in the Championship, but that's not what the vote's about. In baseball they have the Most Valuable Player trophy. IMO, Luis has been more valuable to us than those other players have been to their sides.

Didn't read the question so voted Suarez by mistake.

I think Van Persie will get it, Bale second and then Suarez.

Saw the other day that Suarez is 40-1. It's fucking insane because he's had a blinding season. Better than Bale and at least on par with Van Persie.

I agree that Luis should get it but Bale will get it. Luis's problem, apart from being the embodiment of all that is wrong with football, sport, life, etc., is that we as a club haven't done feck all this year.

Without him, we'd be in the Championship, but that's not what the vote's about. In baseball they have the Most Valuable Player trophy. IMO, Luis has been more valuable to us than those other players have been to their sides.

I disagree. Bale may very well lead Spurs into Champions League football, he's scored 7 of their last 8 goals i believe, which has seen them over-take Chelsea. His goals could lead them to the quarter finals of the European cup again which would bring a massive cash windfall.

Whereas we are still way down the league, even with Suarez' brilliance. We would not be relegated, even without him. Just much shitter.

If its not Van Persie, then something is wrong with football. But we all knew that anyway.

van persie is a great player who joined a great prem league team, people act like fergie pulled off some master stroke.

the thought that he is single highhandedly dragging utd towards the title is laughable.

bale is too hot and cold, hes going through his purple patch at the moment, but saying that he is amazing when playing against opposition such as west ham and Southampton.:whatever:

suarez is by far the best player in the league, no player does what suarez does, plays as a lone striker, doesnt sit on the goal line, covers every blade of grass, while vying for top scorer.

its a no brainier, if suarez doesnt get it everyone involved in the voting are racist bastards.

What I can never understand is why these awards are given out so early. What do they mean by year? Calendar year? If we're talking about the 2012 calendar year, then Van Persie is way way out in front. He was prolific for Arsenal and just carried on that form for his new club. If by year they actually mean 'season', then the season hasn't finished yet, and there is much less to choose between Van Persie and other contenders like Suarez and Bale.

Personally, these awards should be based on performances over the whole season. Right now it is far from definitive as to what time period they are looking at.

I should also point out that Ginola won this award in 1999, when the Mancs and Arsenal had several players who you'd think would be strong contenders based on how successful they were at the time.