You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

PFA Player of the Year

Red Banjo

Who will get the nod?  

105 members have voted

1. 1. Who will get the nod?

• Gareth Bale
    • Robin van Persie
    • Luis Suarez
    • Michu
    • Juan Mata
    • Theo Walcott

I don't have much issue with the Carrick one to be honest, he has been pretty good but shouldn't win it, Michu should be there though

and I thought they made a mockery of these awards when Giggs won it but the Welbeck nomination just takes the biscuit, he makes Heskey look fucking clinical

Carrick nominated for player of the year! Haha. Yeah. Good one. Good player - no doubt. But fuck me. I mean fucking hell, if people think he's had a better season than Santi Cazorla then they are mental. Van Rapist is the reason the cunts will win the title, simple as. I think the mancs had 4 clean sheets this season until about a month ago. That to me does not suggest the defence, or in particular, the DM has been particularly effective. It means they score more than they concede.

Allow me to draw breath while i tell you who has been nominated for Young Player.

Danny Fucking '1 goal' Welbeck. Fuck me. I mean fucking what?!

Hahahahahahahaha. You corrupt fucking cunts. Fuck off.

Agree with everything else you've written but this is balls. I keep hearing it. Its rubbish.

Agree with everything else you've written but this is balls. I keep hearing it. Its rubbish.

City are on course to finish with the same points tally as last season I think FEG. Do you not think that the purchase of Van Persie has been the main difference between the 2 sides this season?

Just looked at the Guarniad's poll on who should win PFA player of the year. Bookies have RVP and Suarez at 4-1, Carrick 100-1. People voting so far: Suarez out in front with 44%, Carrick with 9%. It means absolutely nothing of course, as the winner will probably be Carrick.

City are on course to finish with the same points tally as last season I think FEG. Do you not think that the purchase of Van Persie has been the main difference between the 2 sides this season?

Personally, I don't. He just went 11 games without scoring and they won nearly all of those. If he was so vital surely they would have struggled in some kind? He was a great signing but people are talking as if the reason they didn't win the last title was because they couldn't score goals. Thats rubbish. They didn't win the last title because they collapsed as a team and City were very good. The reason they probably will this year is because City have been comparatively shite.

Put it this way. After 34 games last season, they had accumulated 82 points. After 33 this season, they have accumulated 81. If they win their next game, they'll only be 2 points better off than they were next season. The gap between the two teams at the moment is 13 points. Does that 2 points really matter?

(I couldn't find out how many points they had at 33 games last season, thats why I used the 34 game figure)

WAit, what? Bale won it in 2011?

I cant even remember that, what a set of piss.

If you ask me, and most people do, it'll be Carrick winning with Bale given the young player award. All British, nasty foreigners can get to fuck, nothing wrong with our national game sir.

Carrick at 100/1 with Bet Victor. Nonsense odds that, grab it. Ferguson will mention Carrick in the next couple of weeks and his price will tumble.

Hazard nominated for Player of the Year? In this division? For this year? Is this for real?

Ahead of Michu? Ahead of Lennon? Ahead of Dawson? Vertonghen?

Personally, I don't. He just went 11 games without scoring and they won nearly all of those. If he was so vital surely they would have struggled in some kind? He was a great signing but people are talking as if the reason they didn't win the last title was because they couldn't score goals. Thats rubbish. They didn't win the last title because they collapsed as a team and City were very good. The reason they probably will this year is because City have been comparatively shite.

Put it this way. After 34 games last season, they had accumulated 82 points. After 33 this season, they have accumulated 81. If they win their next game, they'll only be 2 points better off than they were next season. The gap between the two teams at the moment is 13 points. Does that 2 points really matter?

(I couldn't find out how many points they had at 33 games last season, thats why I used the 34 game figure)

Fair enough mate. I feel he has been the difference though. United never lose that many games anyway but perhaps last season they weren't as freescoring as this season. Wasn't ferguson talking about goal difference being the factor last season though hence him buying van persie?

Just checked the goal difference tally for this season and United are well ahead of city there as well.

In baseball they have the Most Valuable Player trophy. IMO, Luis has been more valuable to us than those other players have been to their sides.

...but its always controversial, some journo's vote for the player who was most valuable to his club but most vote for the player who had the most outstanding individual season.

It's not often I get wound up by shit articles, as I just can't be arsed. This hos got me fucking furious, though:

PFA defends Luis Suárez's place on Player of the Year shortlist | Football | guardian.co.uk

The Professional Footballers' Association chief executive, Gordon Taylor, has defended the presence of Luis Suárez on the six-man shortlist for the union's Player of the Year award.

Suárez's main rivals for the award are Gareth Bale, who has also been nominated in the Young Player category, and Robin van Persie, who won it last season before leaving Arsenal for Manchester United.

In a shortlist that includes no defenders or goalkeepers, and no representation from the champions Manchester City, the biggest surprise is the absence of the Swansea forward Michu, whom many believe to be the signing of the season. Instead, the Chelsea duo of Juan Mata and Eden Hazard are included, in addition to Manchester United's unsung hero Michael Carrick who, at 31, finally gets his first nomination. The six players are shortlisted on the basis of votes cast by their fellow professionals.

There is no doubt Suárez has been one of the most effective players in the Premier League this year. However, his reputation has been damaged by the eight-match ban he received for racially abusing Patrice Evra at Anfield last season.

Given his blatant handball also denied Ghana an appearance in the 2010 World Cup semi-finals and the periodic allegations of diving, some would argue he hardly deserves to be acknowledged by his peers.

But Taylor, while accepting Suárez will always be a controversial figure, feels the Uruguayan's on-pitch performances, including 29 goals, for Liverpool this term, make him worthy of inclusion.

"Sometimes controversy travels with players," said Taylor. "Sometimes it is in their very nature. Sometimes it is that very intensity that causes a problem also makes sure they win.

"Luis Suárez is helping to restore Liverpool. It is a credit to them that he seems comfortable there and no one could deny he is one of the finest players in the world."

Yet no one could deny either that if Suárez wins the award when it is announced on 28 April, it will put the PFA in an uncomfortable position given his background.

"It is very difficult at times," said Taylor. "Players are expected to be top role models and set the finest example. That goes with the trade these days.

"I don't underestimate the need for them to do all they can to be seen as a good example. But they are also human beings. It is not always possible to put old heads on relatively young shoulders.

"This is a footballing award and Suárez's footballing ability shines through.

"It would be naive to think controversy won't continue to travel with him. But I think his football has maintained his place."

Like Bale, Hazard has also been listed for the Young Player prize, where he faces competition from Christian Benteke, Romelu Lukaku, Danny Welbeck and Jack Wilshere. Welbeck, Wilshere and Carrick are the only English players out of the 12 men nominated.

For the first time, there will be a Women's Player of the Year prize too, with Scotland's Kim Little among those nominated in addition to her 20-year-old Arsenal team-mate Jordan Nobbs, who scored a stunning debut goal against Italy in England's triumphant Cyprus Cup campaign in March.

Fair enough mate. I feel he has been the difference though. United never lose that many games anyway but perhaps last season they weren't as freescoring as this season. Wasn't ferguson talking about goal difference being the factor last season though hence him buying van persie?

Just checked the goal difference tally for this season and United are well ahead of city there as well.

I see what you are saying but I don't understand how he can be the difference when they have performed nearly exactly the same as they have last year points wise. The only difference is that City havent.

Regarding goals: After 34 games last season they had scored 82. After 33 this season they have scored 75. Unless they score 8 in their next match, they haven't scored more this year either. (To add to that, their goal difference last year was 54 after 34 games, its 40 after 33 this year. They haven't got a better goal difference.)

I don't see how anyone can dispute Van Persie's worth to the manc cunts march to the title. He might have gone 11 games recently without a goal FEG, but before that he was almost the only reason they were winning games. He was scoring and they were winning games by the odd goal - therefore he was directly responsible to the wins. Lately, granted, the rest of the squad have started to chip in with goals but the damage had been done by then. Its a travesty how they have won as many games as they have this season, they simply haven't deserved to. The age old refereeing discussion can be wheeled out at this point, but will probably be dismissed - despite no Utd player being red carded or conceding a penalty this season. People can think this an irrelevant argument - i don't. A combination of Van Persie, referees being shit scared of pissy pants, and opponents being defeated before they step off the bus are the reasons why Utd will be lifting a 20th title in a few weeks.

It's not often I get wound up by shit articles, as I just can't be arsed. This hos got me fucking furious, though:

PFA defends Luis Suárez's place on Player of the Year shortlist | Football | guardian.co.uk

Don't see too much wrong with this to be honest apart from the headline. It is a shit article granted but nothing too get too wound up about.

I don't see how anyone can dispute Van Persie's worth to the manc cunts march to the title. He might have gone 11 games recently without a goal FEG, but before that he was almost the only reason they were winning games. He was scoring and they were winning games by the odd goal - therefore he was directly responsible to the wins. Lately, granted, the rest of the squad have started to chip in with goals but the damage had been done by then. Its a travesty how they have won as many games as they have this season, they simply haven't deserved to. The age old refereeing discussion can be wheeled out at this point, but will probably be dismissed - despite no Utd player being red carded or conceding a penalty this season. People can think this an irrelevant argument - i don't. A combination of Van Persie, referees being shit scared of pissy pants, and opponents being defeated before they step off the bus are the reasons why Utd will be lifting a 20th title in a few weeks.

In situations such as these though, people seem to think that if Van Persie wasn't playing up front, them goals wouldn't have been scored. Thats invalid. If he wasn't up front then another player would have been. Rooney scored 27 (34 in all competitions) last year playing in the same position. I doubt RVP will match that this year.

I'm not saying Van Persie isn't a good player or hasn't been a good signing. He is and has been. But I simply can't understand how people can say he has been decisive in where the title goes when Man Utd have (i) more or less got the same amount of points (+/-2 points difference), (ii) scored quiet a few less goals and (iii) have a worse goal difference.

Don't believe the hype. I think the stats in my posts above prove the point. He is a great striker and converts chances. But they had strikers who did just that last year. They lost the title last year because they fell apart and City were in reach. The difference this year is that City are nowhere near as close.