You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Is Rodgers becoming a laughing stock?

Megadrive Man

I think the best sign of some progress is a coherent approach to how we play, (which is supported by an increasingly coherent transfer policy) with signs Rodgers is willing to be flexible to get points. As well we've only had a couple of truly poor performances. I thought last year we were much more inconsistent and had some truly awful performances. Rodgers now has to take the next step in my opinion and prove he can win something not just maintain trim.

That's not far off my opinion!

Congratulations - you are now an apologist! And a cunt it would seem.

Guest ShoePiss
Yeah I can't really disagree with this! Other than a guide to improvement (it is his first season), the league is over 38 games.

It could very well be 61 points at the end of the season - as I say, another similar improvement next season will see us challenge for the top 4. It took us 4 years to get Reina, Alonso, Mascherano, Gerrard and Torres and to challenge. Another Coutinho and we will be much better placed.

There's a huge difference between challenging for 4th spot and challenging for the league but yes it takes time.

We have to be right in the mix for 4th or better come the end of next season, he needs to be backed by the owners, basically no excuses. I think he should be fired if we don't challenge for the top 4 next season.

Guest ShoePiss
Why are people comparing? Why are other people listening to these people?

Comparing what? Last season vs this season? Kenny vs Rodgers?

How accurate have your predictions been in the past? Post some proof that any of us should be paying any fucking attention whatsoever to Tompkins, or Code, or OPTAJoe, or any other cunt with a Twitter account and too much time on his hands?

All I see are cunts. Everywhere. Just mouthy cunts pointing out nothing, pointing to the past, like it means anything, like you'll find any answers back there, like we missed some big clue. Shut the fuck up, we're average, deal with it, and people braying about the Europa League are average, and have average goals, and we demand that Liverpool FC share this average vision of the future with us, because it makes us more comfortable to be mediocre, to not be seen to be trying in case we fail.

In short, just fucking modern Liverpool fans being modern Liverpool fans. There's tons of you, just fucking imbeciles.

Rodgers gets shot down by imbeciles because he talks the club up, because he speaks out and protects the club, and because he does that it must mean x, because I'm a fucking idiot and anything that occurs that I don't agree with is plain wrong because there's zero chance of you being wrong is there. Because we're all such fucking successes aren't we, millionaires with happy families us, we've got it sorted out, we've got all the answers and that mouthy prick Rodgers is just a shithouse because he's been here two minutes and never played in a European Cup Final so he must know nothing about the game.

I bet Djimi Traore becomes a belting manager.

For some reason I imagine you needing to clean your screen after writing that.

There's a huge difference between challenging for 4th spot and challenging for the league but yes it takes time.

We have to be right in the mix for 4th or better come the end of next season, he needs to be backed by the owners, basically no excuses. I think he should be fired if we don't challenge for the top 4 next season.

I think asking for 20 points improvement was always going to be tough this year, with all things considered - but they should have won far more than they have, I don't think that can be argued against - so we have underperformed.

But add 10 points again next season and we will have 70+, that will get us into the mix. I wouldn't say sack him at this stage, but I do think he should be challenging (and doing better in the cup's especially if we are not in Europe). If he gets us to 70-75, but finds he is a few points off the top 4, I wouldn't be looking to get rid, but if he ends up with 60-65 again then yes.

I just want us to develop a bit of consistency - I remember 2005-06, and that season was built on two 10 match winnings streaks, i'd like to see something like that.

Guest ShoePiss
I think asking for 20 points improvement was always going to be tough this year, with all things considered - but they should have won far more than they have, I don't think that can be argued against - so we have underperformed.

But add 10 points again next season and we will have 70+, that will get us into the mix. I wouldn't say sack him at this stage, but I do think he should be challenging (and doing better in the cup's especially if we are not in Europe). If he gets us to 70-75, but finds he is a few points off the top 4, I wouldn't be looking to get rid, but if he ends up with 60-65 again then yes.

I just want us to develop a bit of consistency - I remember 2005-06, and that season was built on two 10 match winnings streaks, i'd like to see something like that.

Agree.

Guest ShoePiss
Some of you need to be punched fucking hard, it's natural selection.

Dead hard and dead clever, that's a lethal combination you've got there mate, go ed lad!

I think the best sign of some progress is a coherent approach to how we play' date=' (which is supported by an increasingly coherent transfer policy) with signs Rodgers is willing to be flexible to get points. As well we've only had a couple of truly poor performances. I thought last year we were much more inconsistent and had some truly awful performances. Rodgers now has to take the next step in my opinion and prove he can win something not just maintain trim.[/quote']

I disagree as i dont think Rodgers is flexible very much at all.

We almost always play 3 centre mids and start with 1 forward.

This doesnt really leave much room for flexibility.

We are very reluctant to play directly at all(maybe because of not having that option in our squad?) but this is because the manager hasnt bought a striker able to play that way.

I really want Rodgers to succeed as he is Liverpool manager and want to eat humble pie if he does but i really have grave doubts.

His summer transfers are absolutely crucial and if he sells Henderson,which i think he might,i will have even bigger doubts.

I believe to break into the top four we need a big time manager and not a rookie.

I agree with Section that Rafa wouldnt be hired by these owners so he is moot,in my opinion.

Dont necessary agree that Kenny would have bought more shit as Enrique,Downing and Henderson have been among our best players this season and i think Downing is pretty shit myself too.

Good post

We need to get a minimum of 70 points next season and preferably 75 and if we don't challenge for the top 4 then he should go.

That means the minimum will be missing the top 4 by a couple of points and a good cup run

No we wouldn't have. One thing I can guarantee you is we'd have signed more shit players for huge sums of money though.

From what I remember of last season is that I was generally encouraged.

I remember watching a team at home that proper fucking battered so many teams without actually being able to finish them off and finish off our chances it was a joke. I thought to myself, get a proper striker in to partner Suarez and we'll certainly give the top 4 a serious challenge.

As for your 'shit players' yes Andy Carroll is shit but I don't blame anybody for his signing really apart from Fernando Torres. At the time he was hot shit and we were left up shit creek at the last minute with a pocket full of cash.

I suppose it's a pointless argument really as we can't change history but the owners told us that Kenny was sacked as League results were not good enough which was and is a very dangerous precedent to set and for the next man to follow.

I suppose it's a pointless argument really as we can't change history but the owners told us that Kenny was sacked as League results were not good enough which was and is a very dangerous precedent to set and for the next man to follow.

"If you don't believe the results are right and feel 37 points off the champions and 17 points off Champions League pace is a long distance you have to make a change" - Ian Ayre last summer.

Not much has changed apart from two less cup finals.

"If you don't believe the results are right and feel 37 points off the champions and 17 points off Champions League pace is a long distance you have to make a change" - Ian Ayre last summer.

So whose the teflon twat going to hide behind this year with Kenny and Commoli gone. Hope your bosses are taking note Mr Ayre you cunt.

We can judge Rafa because he was here long enough to put his stamp on the side and to show both his strengths and weaknesses. He still divides opinion and there's always the nagging doubt that if the club had not been in so much turmoil, he could have built a winning dynasty but on the other hand, his propensity for falling out with just about everyone revealed a flaw in his character that may have seen his empire crash and burn anyway.

Hodgson didn't have much time in the job but it was more than enough to show that he was the wrong man in the wrong job at the wrong time, only a fool like Purslow could possibly have managed it would turn out any other way.

Dalglish was not given enough time and it's ridiculous to state otherwise. He was building a team and it was doing OK but he wasn't allowed to complete the job and we will never know if it would have worked out because the new manager has changed the playing style, the coaches are all different and we are now a totally different side even if much of the personnel are still there.

Rodgers has not got his team together yet and we have to see how it pans out. I don't think it was right to sack Kenny unless there was a pretty much nailed-on superior manager to take his place and naturally enough we are back in a transitional stage where you have to be patient unless there is someone else who is a cert to propel us forward quicker.

I have been a big sceptic of Rodgers mainly because of the summer's acquisitions and the tactical shortcomings evident in some awful defeats in the 1st half of the season but I like his approach and there are signs he can take us on so he has to be given time to develop his squad.

We are a long way off where we want to be but that's the inevitable product of too many big changes in a short space of time, so now's the time to give the manager the latitude he needs to prove himself

We are a long way off where we want to be but that's the inevitable product of too many big changes in a short space of time, so now's the time to give the manager the latitude he needs to prove himself

Doesn't wash, so many who wanted the initial change were from within our support. No use bleating give a new manager a chance, that's up to whatever side your on. The divide that exists (and it does now) resulted from those that created it originally.

Against the top 6 this season (given most see this as an area that needs improvement):

Manchester United: L (1-2), L (2-1)

Manchester City: D (2-2), D (2-2)

Chelsea: D (1-1), D (2-2)

Arsenal: L (1-2), D (2-2)

Tottenham: L (2-1), W(!) (3-2)

Everton: D (2-2), D (0-0)

So overall, that is a total of 1 Win, 7 Draws and 4 Losses. 10 points from a possible 36. Not good enough and a big reason why Liverpool are so far off the mark. When you consider that nearly half of the points dropped this season (7 draws from a total 13 and 4 losses from a total 9) were from less than a third of all league games, if that alone can be at least brought back to ratio, that would be a significant improvement.

This season has been disappointing. It has though, been a season of two halves, with the second half markedly better, but still poor.

Rodgers isn't getting the best out of the team as a whole. We win at Newcastle 6-0, then the same team can't get fired up against Everton at Anfield for the Derby?? WTF ??

It should be, that the manager dictates to the team, and not the other way around.. I don't think the team has responded to Rodgers in the most positive way, suggesting that we aren't actually going to have any kind of renaissance, with this group of players, or, with this manager. Do we replace a whole team over several seasons, to fit the manager, or do we replace the manager, and keep the bulk of the players? These players, for the most part this season ,have been Jeckyll and Hyde. Would they respond to another leader? Do we fuck most of them off and start again, so Rodgers can have his 'ideal' players for his methodology?

The fact is, there are no guarantees that we wont get less points next season, never mind more...don't forget, Suarez, assuming he's settled and still with us, will be on a ban for the initial few matches. If history is anything to go by, we don't exactly come flying out of the blocks at the start of a season in recent years, with the exception of that one under Rafa, when we really should have won another title.

In summary,no, Rodgers is no laughing stock. Equally though, his 'system' is not a proven winning formula, not a blue print to success - otherwise he'd have proven the formula already with any of the teams he's already managed ! Theory is one thing, and then there's the real world.