You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Criticising the players through the media- is it on?

Guest San Don

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't like him singling out the youngsters for the defeat vs Oldham.

I think everyone agrees none of that team played well, other than Gerrard, even Suarez had a below par game and was anonymous in the second half.

I don't see why he blames the defeat on the youngsters, when one of our weakest players was Brad Jones, who is not young.

Blame the team, say that we need more character and performances like that aren't good enough. But to only single out the youngsters I don't agree with.

Calculated comments aimed at challenging a player to improve their performances. He has said far worse about Downing, Henderson and Enrique this season and just look at the change in their form and application since.

His recent comments are spot on. These are highly paid athletes and it we want to drag this club back up the table then our standards and performance levels need to increase. We need men, and if they go to shit because they've been criticised and challenged publicly then they're not the type of men we need at this club. We need battlers and winners. He is challenging them, and he wouldn't do it without believing he can get a response. Man management isn't all about an arm around the shoulder. He isn't a manager ranting to the press, he has made a judgement call here and I for one back him all the way if he feels that certain players are letting the club down. If anyone can't handle that then show them the door.

Spot on that Randy

I also remember him making comments on the younger players attitudes in Being Liverpool, so maybe this is a problem which runs far deeper than we can see on the surface.

Mate of mine who's friendly with Pacheco said he was slagging off Suso who's turned into billy big bollocks since he got his new contract. Doesn't really surprise me, and that attitude has reflected in his performances I reckon. Sterling too. I've said it before that I'd like to see the pair of them fuck off on loan to a championship club for the rest of the season and get them out of their comfort zones and fucking working.

So you really think that slating or prasing players in the media will make a difference or change the way the team performs and improve our defence? are you having a laugh?

This defence was third best in the league last season and helped us reach two domestic cup finals. If you think that slating the players in the press will magically improve us you are deluded.

To me It seems like we've lost the plot on many levels.

At the end of the day, if players aren't willing to fight for victory, there's no point in having them around. The reason Suarez scores and creates so many is because of his desire to win. He doesn't always play well, but the effort and will to win is incredible. Same with Gerrard.

When I saw Robinson tell Suarez to 'fuck off', I just couldn't believe it.

I still can't. That angered me more than the fact we were losing at the time.

We do everything in public these days, its all part of FSG's media strategy.

The only thing they dont play out in public is the stadium plans, I wonder why?

Persoanlly I think Rodgers is the one and only to blame for the Oldham fiasco but him blaming the players in public have sidestepped the real issue perfectly.

Excellent post from Faustus. The over-analysis of every tiny word that a manager says when he's been in charge for just 6 months, is just weird. It's almost like people are just looking for something to complain about.

Is right. Lot of people on here are queuing up to put the boot in as soon as we don't win 3-0.

As I said elsewhere, Rodgers is potentially turning out to be as divisive as Benitez. So maybe Benitez wasn't the problem after all.

Excellent post from Faustus. The over-analysis of every tiny word that a manager says when he's been in charge for just 6 months, is just weird. It's almost like people are just looking for something to complain about.

Is right. Lot of people on here are queuing up to put the boot in as soon as we don't win 3-0.

As I said elsewhere, Rodgers is turning out to be as potentially divisive as Benitez. So maybe Benitez wasn't the problem after all.

I have no problem ciriticising through the media at the team. Looking at what Souness said, I agree with his comments.

But the difference between what Souness did and what I didn't like what Rodgers did, was Souness criticised the whole team, where as Rodgers has singled out the youngsters.

I don't think only the youngsters have to improve their mentality and toughness.

I didn't like him singling out the youngsters for the defeat vs Oldham.

I think everyone agrees none of that team played well, other than Gerrard, even Suarez had a below par game and was anonymous in the second half.

I don't see why he blames the defeat on the youngsters, when one of our weakest players was Brad Jones, who is not young.

Blame the team, say that we need more character and performances like that aren't good enough. But to only single out the youngsters I don't agree with.

This is about right.

Guest davelfc
I'll judge the wisdom or otherwise of Rodgers' targeted bollocking by our performances against Arsenal and City.

Like most things in football, you're judged well if you get it right.

Like you I prefer to look at the result on Saturday and subsequent comments after those two league games.

Is what he said any different to what Kenny said after Bolton away? I watched Roy Evans have the piss taken out of him by his players because he was far too soft, so I have very little sympathy.

I understand people being uncomfortable but, I would argue that the time to do this, is early into your role - draw the line early and let them know that type of performance (which hasn't been a one off) won't be tolerated.

Barretts view.

LFCTS

Pretty balance article I'd say.

How? How was that article balanced at all?

Its all good and well talking about the times that it had seemingly failed (even then, how you can link Souness'/Hodgson's/Rafa's criticism with their subsequent failure is beyond me) but what about the numerous times such an approach has worked?

Why doesn't Barret talk about the times Ferguson has done the same and got a reaction? Or numerous other successful managers?

The article is absolute balls, as is the general unrest around this. Its not particularly nice interview to read and it made me a little bit uneasy. But it really isn't a big deal, nor will it be a chief determinant of Rodger's fortunes at the club. The most hilarious thing is, if he had come out and said "We're dissapointed but everybody gave their best out there", he'd be absolutely fucking lambasted by this whole forum, especially mongs like Code72 who change their argument every day.

The Times has a hard on for Rodgers, and FSG - anyone unfortunate enough to follow Evans on Twitter can see that. It's not FSG's fault they are not Chinese is it Tony?

To even equate Rodgers with Souness who spent his first year bickering and snarling, and his second year doing pretty much the same - is ludicrous.

Is what he said any different to what Kenny said after Bolton away? I watched Roy Evans have the piss taken out of him by his players because he was far too soft, so I have very little sympathy.

I understand people being uncomfortable but, I would argue that the time to do this, is early into your role - draw the line early and let them know that type of performance (which hasn't been a one off) won't be tolerated.

Fanchester city pointed out the very obvious difference yesterday. First it was the youngsters and now it's everyone except Joe Allen. Please! If you are one of the players and you see it being dished like that, so selectively and with obvious protection for favorites, you're not going to ask questions about yourself are you?

Pound to a penny for example Jack Robinson isn't thinking, I've let myself down, he's thinking, we play 424 in the first half I get no cover from Borini. Golden boy holding midfielder is fucking nowhere to be seen covering full backs and it's MY fault. Right.

Several of them are drinking in the last chance saloon from what he said and the coldness of his expression while doing so. Personally, if certain players don't get the message quickly I'd be all for them leaving, as the third option is we inevitably keep seeing the same weak performances.

So really it's about whether the individual would rather him use every tool at his disposal to motivate them, minimising or delaying where possible already high rebuilding costs, or just accept some aren't good enough earlier and move them on when money to buy quality reinforcements across multiple positions is tight.

Given the two highlighted points that you've made, it seems that we are going to be in for an almighty massive summer ahead. And the question is, who will be buying the players, the manager or those above him? The comment from either Ayre or Werner following Sturridge's arrival (that if we'd gotten Dempsey in the summer we wouldn't have gotten Sturridge) is a real worry so if we're going for a squad overhaul in the summer, let's hope we don't do an Aston Villa on it.

Guest San Don
How? How was that article balanced at all?

Its all good and well talking about the times that it had seemingly failed (even then, how you can link Souness'/Hodgson's/Rafa's criticism with their subsequent failure is beyond me) but what about the numerous times such an approach has worked?

Why doesn't Barret talk about the times Ferguson has done the same and got a reaction? Or numerous other successful managers?

The article is absolute balls, as is the general unrest around this. Its not particularly nice interview to read and it made me a little bit uneasy. But it really isn't a big deal, nor will it be a chief determinant of Rodger's fortunes at the club. The most hilarious thing is, if he had come out and said "We're dissapointed but everybody gave their best out there", he'd be absolutely fucking lambasted by this whole forum, especially mongs like Code72 who change their argument every day.

So you're saying barrett's article is not balanced but is also balls? And wtf does he need to talk about ferguson? Is he talking about manchester united or instances where LFC managers have publically rebuked players in the past?

I dont see how tomorrow's and sunday's games is going to tell us anything. The teams put out for those games will be vastly different to the one that played at oldham. I'd take that line whether we win, lose or draw these upcoming games unless of course the manager plays the team for oldham in them (which he wont do).

I've said I dont agree with any of our managers, whoever they have been, publically criticising the players. In any event, Sir Bob, The King and even Souness had been in the job for longer than 6 months before resorting to this method.

And the further question is, if this public rebuke doesnt work, what tools has he got left? You dont wade into battle with the nuclear option as your first tactic (well hopefully anyway!).

Pound to a penny for example Jack Robinson isn't thinking, I've let myself down, he's thinking, we play 424 in the first half I get no cover from Borini. Golden boy holding midfielder is fucking nowhere to be seen covering full backs and it's MY fault. Right.

He should still leave Suarez alone, he gets enough stick as it is.

Barretts view.

LFCTS

Possibly just me, but the thing I took most from that interview was how far back and consistently this notion of (some of) our players not being up for the challenge has blighted us. We've had so many bottlers over the years it's fucking tragic. Someone mentioned it before, and whilst I'm not absolving managers from blame, there's something deeper-rooted in the club that needs to be addressed.