You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Criticising the players through the media- is it on?

Guest San Don

Guest Numero Veinticinco

It's not the first time Rodgers has done it. It worked last time, too. Still, probably best to sack him. At least it'll shut Code up for a week, 'til we bring in the next manager who isn't as good as Code and doesn't deserve it as much as Code.

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if it's the same at other clubs? No manager in the land talks more shite than Ferguson, are all of his press conferences analysed and the bones picked out of every sentence by United fans, or do they just not give a fuck because they're always winning stuff?

Maybe Arsenal is a better example, do their fans react to Wenger's comments the way we do to all of our managers (except Kenny, who generally said fuck all so didn't have the same level of scrutiny)?

From what I've read on other forums (non football) Yes, they do. I'd say it happens for all managers.

I take it from various comments that a lot of people are now content that the club does it's dirty washing in public?

Most right minded fans are delighted that we have a manager who calls it how it is.

Losing to Oldham was a disgrace, several players did not pull their weight.

Is not losing to Oldham the ultimate act of waving your dirty pants in the air anyway?

Not that I care much about Rodgers criticising players or that Robinson told Suarez to fuck off, but what I thought of when I read it was that at least Hodgson had the decency to admit he made mistake himself.

Rodgers, not a chance.

Still Hodgson was hung out to dry while most defend Rodgers, its fuckin hilrious.

Rodgers let it be known early on that his nickname is "Buck", but who knew it was short for "Pass the Buck".

Criticism of our young players might carry more weight if he hadn't spent his first few months at the club showing virtually all of our experienced professionals to the exit door, like some footballing equivalent of Logan's Run.

The team selection is just a red herring because it doesn't matter who we field, we are an extremely one-dimensional side. We were always going to be punished by a physical Oldham side, just like we've wilted against every other physical side we've played this season. Again, because some bright spark at the club thought it would be a good idea to get rid of all our Plan Bs.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Criticism of our young players might carry more weight if he hadn't spent his first few months at the club showing virtually all of our experienced professionals to the exit door.

Which experienced players did he show the exit door?

Kuyt, who'd already left? Maxi and Bellamy who both wanted to leave and where in the late stages of the deals to leave? Yeah, he basically forced them out.

Which experienced players did he show the exit door?

Kuyt, who'd already left? Maxi and Bellamy who both wanted to leave and where in the late stages of the deals to leave? Yeah, he basically forced them out.

He's talking about Carroll. He thought Carroll would out score Suarez, so I can imagine he's really cut up about the big ponytailed one leaving. Imagine how much better off we'd be with an extra 20 odd goals this season.

I'm a bit stunned that some people are willing to go straight at Rodgers. All three goals conceded at Oldham were solely down to defenders or the goalkeeper making simple errors that any player at senior level should be able to cope with. It has nothing to do with the tactics or Rodgers picking the wrong team. Obviously some of the players aren't as good as the regular starters, but there is still a reason why they are at this club and that is because they have been found good enough to play for the club and some of those mistakes were not worthy of a professional footballer.

Of course every player makes mistakes sometimes during a season, but if they can't handle that kind of criticism it's proof enough they aren't good enough and don't have the right mentality for this club. And by criticising them publicly Rodgers has made it clear what is expected of them. He is a man who knows how privileged these lads are and isn't afraid to tell them and for that I admire the man because it has been quite obvious there has been too many passengers at this club for many years and that is not the way to reclaim our place in the hierarchy.

Criticism of our young players might carry more weight if he hadn't spent his first few months at the club showing virtually all of our experienced professionals to the exit door, like some footballing equivalent of Logan's Run.

Most of them wanted to leave even before he was appointed.

Not that I care much about Rodgers criticising players or that Robinson told Suarez to fuck off, but what I thought of when I read it was that at least Hodgson had the decency to admit he made mistake himself.

Rodgers, not a chance.

Still Hodgson was hung out to dry while most defend Rodgers, its fuckin hilrious.

Rodgers has admitted this season he's made mistakes. So what do you mean "not a chance" when he has this season.

It's mad the way some people read whatever they want into articles and blogs.

There is not one word of criticism of Rodgers in that blog, not one.

The premise is very simple - when groups of players are publicly criticised by their manager it is a risky strategy that can (although, by no means always) backfire, as it has done in the past and will do again in the future.

Rodgers isn't daft, he knows the risk but he also knows the potential benefits, which makes it a calculated gamble.

Will it pay off? Who knows? I hope it does but if it doesn't it won't be the first time that a Liverpool manager's decision to go public in his criticism has backfired.

If anyone on here can say with absolute confidence that the young players will respond in the right way then you've seen qualities in them that aren't all that obvious at this stage. Time will tell and hopefully we'll go to Arsenal tomorrow night, get a great win and all of this will come to be seen as a much needed kick up the backside.

As for Ferguson and United, he is the most successful modern day manager and his authority at his club exceeds that of any other manager in the country. That means that whenever he does revert to public criticism he is doing so from a position of strength, something that didn't apply to Benitez, Hodgson or Souness.

Edited by rome 84

Rodgers has admitted this season he's made mistakes. So what do you mean "not a chance" when he has this season.

Don't expect a reply to this because you've had him off. In fact it's possible you may receive some cryptic neg where he makes out he wasn't meaning what you pulled him on.

The agenda driven wankers continue.

Guest ShoePiss
It's mad the way some people read whatever they want into articles and blogs.

There is not one word of criticism of Rodgers in that blog, not one.

The premise is very simple - when groups of players are publicly criticised by their manager it is a risky strategy that can (although, by no means always) backfire, as it has done in the past and will do again in the future.

Rodgers isn't daft, he knows the risk but he also knows the potential benefits, which makes it a calculated gamble.

Will it pay off? Who knows? I hope it does but if it doesn't it won't be the first time that a Liverpool manager's decision to go public in his criticism has backfired.

If anyone on here can say with absolute confidence that the young players will respond in the right way then you've seen qualities in them that aren't all that obvious at this stage. Time will tell and hopefully we'll go to Arsenal tomorrow night, get a great win and all of this will come to be seen as a much needed kick up the backside.

As for Ferguson and United, he is the most successful modern day manager and his authority at his club exceeds that of any other manager in the country. That means that whenever he does revert to public criticism he is doing so from a position of strength, something that didn't apply to Benitez, Hodgson or Souness.

Do you think Rodgers' comments have upset the senior players in the squad? I don't so I think that gives him a position of power.

We need players that react the right way to criticism anyway. I want players that respond by trying to prove critics wrong rather than go into their shells.

Don't expect a reply to this because you've had him off. In fact it's possible you may receive some cryptic neg where he makes out he wasn't meaning what you pulled him on.

The agenda driven wankers continue.

HaHa fair enough.

Just to try and balance out Code's agenda against Rodgers this was a quote after our draw away to chelsea.

Rodgers explained: “In the first half we were a wee bit tentative, which was my fault because we normally play with three up front which allow us to press higher up the field.

“We went 3-5-2 and just couldn’t quite press – and that’s a big part of our game. Once we change it we then got more onto the front foot again.”

He added: “It was great character from the players yet again. It was a terrific point.”

And he only lasted another four months! Maybe it's a curse? ;)

That is a good point!

However - there is another which is - is it right that a Manager should risk alienating his players if it is they who do not perform? If a manager fails he is sacked, but each and every player doesn't follow him out of the door. This isn't about Oldham, it is about Stoke, Villa, United (first half) and a few other duds.

By all accounts he is quite popular with the players - so this might have the desired affect. Outbursts are fine if they are not seen as the norm.

Guest San Don
Most right minded fans are delighted that we have a manager who calls it how it is.

Losing to Oldham was a disgrace, several players did not pull their weight.

Is not losing to Oldham the ultimate act of waving your dirty pants in the air anyway?

Calling it how it is isnt the issue. No one has an issue with underperforming players being bollocked. The issue is, is it right that an LFC manager (once again, no matter who that is) bollocks the 'young players' and identifies two player in particular, in the full glare of publicity.

Your last sentence is totally inane and your ability to surpass yourself continues unabated. No, losing to oldham was an FA Cup tie not, a washetria.

That is a good point!

However - there is another which is - is it right that a Manager should risk alienating his players if it is they who do not perform? If a manager fails he is sacked, but each and every player doesn't follow him out of the door. This isn't about Oldham, it is about Stoke, Villa, United (first half) and a few other duds.

By all accounts he is quite popular with the players - so this might have the desired affect. Outbursts are fine if they are not seen as the norm.

Yeah. I agree with that. I also think players should be able to cope with criticism (as long as it's valid) when their standards drop just as they accept praise when they do well. My only point is that it doesn't always play out that way, which makes it a risk if any manager is outspoken.

HaHa fair enough.

Just to try and balance out Code's agenda against Rodgers this was a quote after our draw away to chelsea.

Rodgers explained: “In the first half we were a wee bit tentative, which was my fault because we normally play with three up front which allow us to press higher up the field.

“We went 3-5-2 and just couldn’t quite press – and that’s a big part of our game. Once we change it we then got more onto the front foot again.”

He added: “It was great character from the players yet again. It was a terrific point.”

Yeah mate I remember it myself. He says it as it is. All managers are different. Generally I loved Kenny winding the media up and just generally acting the twat with them. They deserve nothing less. I never felt Kenny was bullshitting any of us at any time by being like that either. We all knew why he was doing it and I think a majority embraced it.

Rodgers doesn't do that at all. He prefers to talk to them because at the end of the day it's a direct way of talking to the fans. Whether you like him or not I don't think you can accuse him of lying. He's very honest and frank about everything. There are obviously advantages to both methods. You can disagree with what he's saying and I don't think people would take issue with that other than agreeing with him.

What's happening here though is completely different. You 've got people whinging for whinging sake. They can't pick fault with the contents of what he has said so instead they pick the fact that he's actually talking at all.

The fact of the matter is had Kenny said exactly word for word what Rodgers has said the same wankers in here who are criticising would be up Kenny's arse for it. If Rodgers had said nothing then they would find some fault with that as well. It's as Dave said above. Fergie talks absolute shit week in week out and their fans don't give a shit.

People are picking absolutely anything he says at the moment to shreds because they want him gone. End of story.

Yeah. I agree with that. I also think players should be able to cope with criticism (as long as it's valid) when their standards drop just as they accept praise when they do well. My only point is that it doesn't always play out that way, which makes it a risk if any manager is outspoken.

It is dangerous - but, Rafa's coldness only became an issue towards the end, same with Moureens ego at Chelsea. I think what hurt on Sunday wasn't the defeat as such, but the attitude and lack of character - they played the first half as though they would score again - and didn't respond when they were 3-1 down. I suspect Rodgers is more worried about this being an issue because they are young players, he doesn't want them to develop that attitude.

Arsenal and City are no gimmee's anyway - and perhaps the pressure is a little bit more than it should. But Arry' was equally (if not more) scathing about QPR - and that example of 'fabulous man management' seems to have been accepted. This will become an issue if we as fans make it one. Most think that what he said was right and needed saying - that should ensure it doesn't become a mistake.