You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Fuck me that was a vicious punch,perfectly placed. Golovkin has to be the best middleweight out there.You would have to fancy him cleaning up if Martinez,Quillan would even fight him.

I could see him being forced to step up or if Alvarez pulls off the upset with Floyd that would be another option.

Golovkin-Martinez

Or any of the top 5-6 super middleweights

Sexy Sergio would deal with GGG like a boss. I wouldn't mind seeing GGG Vs Chavez Jr though, but I bet Hatton being the horrible promotor he is will feed Martin Murray to GGG. At least Hearn dug deep and sorted Barker out with the worst title holder.

Hatton needs to stop using his promotion company as a tax write off and help his boxers. If he had reached into his pockets he could have got Geale over to St Helens for Martin Murray, Quillin ain't coming to the UK because he's with Haymon but Geale was looking for the biggest payday pure and simple.

GGG said he's going to fight another twice this year, I expect an easy defense against Andy Lee (ranked #5 to one of GGG belts) next and then probably Martin Murray towards the end of the year in somewhere like Monte Carlo (Murray has US visa issues). I think Martinez will fight Chavez Jr next, then whip on GGG then retire.

Sexy Sergio would deal with GGG like a boss. I wouldn't mind seeing GGG Vs Chavez Jr though, but I bet Hatton being the horrible promotor he is will feed Martin Murray to GGG. At least Hearn dug deep and sorted Barker out with the worst title holder.

Hatton needs to stop using his promotion company as a tax write off and help his boxers. If he had reached into his pockets he could have got Geale over to St Helens for Martin Murray, Quillin ain't coming to the UK because he's with Haymon but Geale was looking for the biggest payday pure and simple.

GGG said he's going to fight another twice this year, I expect an easy defense against Andy Lee (ranked #5 to one of GGG belts) next and then probably Martin Murray towards the end of the year in somewhere like Monte Carlo (Murray has US visa issues). I think Martinez will fight Chavez Jr next, then whip on GGG then retire.

Your passion for boxing is without question, but why do you jump into these debates with wild statements? Hatton writes tax off through his promotions? What are you on about and where does this come from?

Your passion for boxing is without question, but why do you jump into these debates with wild statements? Hatton writes tax off through his promotions? What are you on about and where does this come from?

It circulated a long time ago; Frank Warren and Dean Powell said it's why he doesn't put on small hall shows. Instead all the small hall shows are under the "Poxon Promotions" banner. It's obviously not a fact and I'm not smart enough to know all the ins and outs - but he hardly helps his fighters.

He's lead one of his fighters to slaughter twice; luckily Murray didn't play by the rules and actually put in good performances both times. He's ruined Denton Vassell's career, ruined Munroe's career, almost derailed Quiggs.

He's either an awful promoter, like beyond awful or it's a tax write off. Considering it's been said before and (I know his word isn't gospel) but Frank Warren mentioned it last year as well - I'll go with the latter I’m not blaming him, if I had millions in the bank I wouldn’t want to pay stupid amounts of tax either.

I know what you mean though, I can sometimes storm in - say something like it's fact and then leave. Apologies like.

Ha! Sergio is finished Dan, injuries and age have caught up on him. GGG would do serious damage.

Noone in Middleweight beats GGG and thats why theres talk already of a Froch, Ward fight.

One bad performance doesn’t mean he’s finished mate, they all have them. But yeah injuries could have done a lot of damage (plus time waits for no man). GGG’s last 3 opponents weren’t steller (Macklin was good but he’s had SO many wars he’s looking a little shot).

Martinez said he wants one fight early doors 2014, which is understandable, and then he want’s his final fight to be against Golovkin later that year. It’ll probably be a PPV and unless Sergio looks completely done in the early 2014 fight – I’d be picking him. WAR SERGIO!

Not sure about sure about tax laws and the like so ill keep away from that.I just think Hatton is a shit promoter who got into it for the wrong reasons.I think he thought promoting fights would fill the void if fighting himself and going by that comeback attempt it didn't.I was never a big Hatton fan and thought the hype around was crap.

Not sure about sure about tax laws and the like so ill keep away from that.I just think Hatton is a shit promoter who got into it for the wrong reasons.I think he thought promoting fights would fill the void if fighting himself and going by that comeback attempt it didn't.I was never a big Hatton fan and thought the hype around was crap.

He was gifted all those Sky dates because his name was Ricky Hatton (a lot like how HBO gave Oscar De La Hoya loads of dates because of his name). HBO ran Golden Boy for a long time because De La Hoya is a retard.

I think Sky hoped that they could have somebody intelligent run boxing through Hatton promotions, with Hatton as the face of it all. But he got more involved and the fights/cards he put on were terrible. Nobody want’s to see a British title scrap in front of 100 people in a leisure centre.

So they fucked him off and everybody was like “poor Ricky” but realistically, he’d never built up to that level anyway. Promoters like Coldwell have worked hard to be in a lesser position than Hatton is in now.

I don’t like Eddie Heard, but he’s making the most of his deal with Sky.

If anybody could get one of the terrestrial TV stations behind him it would be Hatton because of his name, but once it stopped being easy for him, I think he just thought fuck this off – he hired that clown Poxon and just kind of let him run it on a small scale.

The small hall shows are really struggling lots of shows have been pulled because of poor ticket sales and attendences seem to be dropping in the current climate.

Lots of lads are not getting out because of the lack of shows and promoters like Woods (VIP) have lots of lads to look after and not many shows to go around.

@SauerlandBros: Can confirm that contracts are signed and sealed and our man Alexander Povetkin will take on Vladimir Klitschko in a $22m showdown on Oct 5

The IBF have said that Froch must defend against Grove

@SauerlandBros: Can confirm that contracts are signed and sealed and our man Alexander Povetkin will take on Vladimir Klitschko in a $22m showdown on Oct 5

The IBF have said that Froch must defend against Grove

Klitschko will win that very easily.

Groves/Froch with Crolla/Burns on the undercard would be an alright card - it's not a PPV fight though which Eddie may try and do.

One bad performance doesn’t mean he’s finished mate, they all have them. But yeah injuries could have done a lot of damage (plus time waits for no man). GGG’s last 3 opponents weren’t steller (Macklin was good but he’s had SO many wars he’s looking a little shot).

Martinez said he wants one fight early doors 2014, which is understandable, and then he want’s his final fight to be against Golovkin later that year. It’ll probably be a PPV and unless Sergio looks completely done in the early 2014 fight – I’d be picking him. WAR SERGIO!

I've always been a big fan of Sergio but he was very ordinary against Murray, Macklin and Barker. He relies heavily on those reactions and I think he's slowing up. Hopefully he fully recovers from the injuries and they fight next year, would be a hell of a fight before GGG stops him......

I wasn't totally sold on Golovkin until Saturday. In my view, the hype-opponents faced and beaten ratio was disproportionate. That changed on Saturday as Macklin is a genuine contender and Golovkin eviscerated him. Not just that he won, but Macklin was visibly shaken, worried and beaten up by the first round. It also turns out that he's broken Macklin's rib with that hook to the body. Golovkin, Matthysse and Kovalev are the new axis of evil and they represent a clear and present danger to the health of every fighter between 140-175lbs. Monsters with understated personalities, two fisted power, who bang to the body and head and are eager to face anyone silly enough to get in the ring with them.

Looking at the Klitschko v Povetkin match-up.

Despite him being a Heavyweight Champ, have seemingly managed to avoid seeing anything of Povetkin that I can remember.

What does he bring to the party ? Is he a boxer or banger & does he have any chance against Klitschko ?

Notice that the fight is in Moscow which would suggest that Klitschko is confident.

Looking at the Klitschko v Povetkin match-up.

Despite him being a Heavyweight Champ, have seemingly managed to avoid seeing anything of Povetkin that I can remember.

What does he bring to the party ? Is he a boxer or banger & does he have any chance against Klitschko ?

Notice that the fight is in Moscow which would suggest that Klitschko is confident.

Just as good as any of the others like Price, Fury, Wilder, Chisora, Scott, etc… even Haye would destroy him. He's been protected and due to Saunderlands influence managed to pick up a regular version of Klitchsko’s paper title. If you looked up protected paper champion - his picture would be next to it. His resume is a fucking joke.

He has zero chance against Klitchsko and to be honest, he doesn’t even want the fight (he’s rejected it twice) it’s only on because some oil rich weird Russian bid $22m at the purse bids that’s he’s taken it because that’s too much money to turn down. Again that’s why Klitschko is travelling to Russia, too much money to turn down.

I've always been a big fan of Sergio but he was very ordinary against Murray, Macklin and Barker. He relies heavily on those reactions and I think he's slowing up. Hopefully he fully recovers from the injuries and they fight next year, would be a hell of a fight before GGG stops him......

Na Martinez will stop him, GGG has had it all his own way. Yeah Macklin was a step up but the bookie’s has GGG at 1/11 for a reason. Let’s see how he stands up when a genuine P4P fighters is peppering him with hurtful shots. I’m still going with Serg.

I wasn't totally sold on Golovkin until Saturday. In my view, the hype-opponents faced and beaten ratio was disproportionate. That changed on Saturday as Macklin is a genuine contender and Golovkin eviscerated him. Not just that he won, but Macklin was visibly shaken, worried and beaten up by the first round. It also turns out that he's broken Macklin's rib with that hook to the body. Golovkin, Matthysse and Kovalev are the new axis of evil and they represent a clear and present danger to the health of every fighter between 140-175lbs. Monsters with understated personalities, two fisted power, who bang to the body and head and are eager to face anyone silly enough to get in the ring with them.

Gotta give Cleverly a lot of respect for taking on Kovalev. Not many casuals know who he is so it’s not doing anything for ticket sales really. He won’t get much credit if he wins either. I think he COULD beat him though, COULD. I’d not put money on either it’s a proper 50/50 fight.

There’s talk of quack Garcia Vs Judah quack rematch quack, which would obviously be proof quack if ever it was needed that quack Danny quack quack is terrified of Lucas Matthysse – one of the more obvious and blatant ducks in recent history.

Come on DDS, boxing is a game of opinions, stop sitting on the fence all of the time.

I'm very passionate about the sweet science. I've not been arsed about football recently, always sat on the football fence. Sometime's my opinions are so one sided that it comes across annoying. So apologies for that haha.

I'm very passionate about the sweet science. I've not been arsed about football recently, always sat on the football fence. Sometime's my opinions are so one sided that it comes across annoying. So apologies for that haha.

No apologies necessary, I love your contributions & the regulars on the boxing threads are all fantastic value.

If the contributors on the dark side could use the boxing thread blueprint to see that people can disagree completely about subjects but do it entertainingly & without bile, it would be a much better place over there.

Gennady Golovkin Introduces Matthew Macklin to Agony: Five Scenes From Saturday's Middleweight Championship Fight - The Triangle Blog - Grantland

1. A Sudden Redness

The first minute of Saturday’s middleweight title fight between champion Gennady Golovkin and challenger Matthew Macklin was uneventful. Macklin pushed his jab out, usually an inch or so short of Golovkin’s face, and Golovkin mostly kept his distance, springing forward at one point but holding back any punches when Macklin retreated. When Golovkin started to move his hands, he did so almost gingerly — a jab here, a left hook to keep Macklin from rushing in, a few more jabs. It was light work by boxing standards, just a champion feeling out his opponent. Then, a brief exchange in the corner: It was difficult to see from press row, but Golovkin sent a looping right down at a cornered, crouching Macklin, and it landed. When Macklin pivoted out of the corner and straightened out, he no longer looked the part of the confident, experienced challenger who was billed before the fight as the most dangerous opponent in Golovkin’s undefeated professional career. Now, Macklin’s hair was mussed down over his forehead, his lips were twisted in some frantic mixture of hurt and alarm, and the left side of his face was suddenly flush with a deep redness.

Golovkin was only getting started.

2. The Gennady Shrug

Many fighters seem to respond to events in the ring with their own signature mannerisms. Floyd Mayweather snarls his lips and shakes his head at opponents to remind them that their efforts to hurt him are futile. Manny Pacquiao nods eagerly and bangs his gloves together after he takes a good shot. Adrien Broner spent much of his fight against Paulie Malignaggi last week shouting “You can’t hit me!” after using his gloves and elbows to pick off Malignaggi’s voluminous yet soft-as-veal-meatballs combination punching.

Golovkin tends to acknowledge things with a shrug — he flattens his lips, raises his eyebrows, and nods his head slightly to the side before getting back to work. Golovkin’s shrug is a catch-all. He performs it to give credit to his opponent, as he did when Macklin touched him with a jab late in the second round; he shrugs to show his disapproval, as he did when Macklin hit Golovkin on the break at the end of Round 1; and he shrugs when his work is done, as he did while describing his third-round body-punch knockout of Macklin to HBO’s Max Kellerman after the fight. Golovkin’s shrug is vague — you can interpret it however you want. When he did it after Macklin landed punches, was he admitting “OK, you got me!” or was he dismissively asking “Is that all you’ve got?” After Macklin rapped him with that illegal shot on the break, was Golovkin granting his opponent clemency or plotting violent revenge?

It seems fitting that Golovkin’s favored gesture is such a blank canvas, because the champion himself is still a cipher to American boxing fans. We don’t know much about him except that he’s from Kazakhstan, he won a silver medal in the 2004 Olympics, and he has knocked out 24 of his 27 professional opponents. And, oh yes, his favorite food is “MEAT.” In interviews, Golovkin’s English is shaky enough to be rendered basically meaningless, albeit in a charming, happy-go-lucky way. Thanks to some quirk of overly direct Russian-to-English translation, he kept calling former opponent Gabriel Rosado a “good boy” after leaving about a quart of Rosado’s blood smeared over the Madison Square Garden ring last January. On Saturday, he called the left hook that liquefied Macklin’s liver his “lucky punch,” which it most definitely was not. For American fans, there’s an ignorance-is-bliss appeal to far-flung destroyers like Golovkin. When a champion fighter hails from Brownsville, Brooklyn, or Sonora, Mexico, we can imagine where he came from and what he may have been forced to overcome in his lifetime. When the champ comes from a former Soviet republic in the Central Asian steppes, anything sounds plausible — he’s an awfully sweet and polite young professional fighter who happens to have once-in-a-generation, natural power in his fists; he’s descended from an infamously violent clan of nomad warriors; he’s the Soviet Weapon X.

3. Always Cornered

Before Saturday, Macklin was expected to be the most significant test so far in Golovkin’s career. The England-based Irishman had performed well in losses to a pair of other middleweight champions, Sergio Martinez and Felix Sturm, although Macklin is widely considered to have been robbed of a decision against Sturm. We had seen Macklin against the best in the division, and how he fared against Golovkin would supposedly provide a measuring stick to gauge the Kazakh champion.

On Saturday, however, Macklin didn’t look like a new level of adversary for Golovkin. Instead, he resembled the rest of Golovkin’s recent conquests — he spent the fight in a state of near constant retreat, and then he was stopped. Golovkin’s knockout punching is the fearsome attribute fans and writers concentrate most on, but the way he stalks opponents is primal and terrifying in its own way. Once Macklin felt Golovkin’s power and began to retreat, he tried backpedaling, lateral slides, and sidesteps to survive the champion’s pressure. At every turn, Golovkin met Macklin and cut him off, forcing him back against the ropes. Nearly every time Macklin escaped from one corner of the ring, he found himself trapped in another corner, struggling to survive left hooks and looping rights cut through the air with a frightful WHOOSH whenever Macklin managed to duck under them.

For almost two and a half rounds Saturday, Macklin moved in lockstep with dread. Then it caught up with him, as he and Golovkin and nearly everyone else in the MGM Grand Theater at Foxwoods knew it would.

4. The Fallen Mouthpiece

At the beginning of the third round, Macklin’s protective mouthpiece fell out, and there was a peculiar pause in the action. Macklin straightened up out of his fighting stance and looked for referee Eddie Cotton to call timeout and allow him to put another mouthpiece in. This could have been an honest slip or it could have been a “veteran move” by Macklin to buy a few extra seconds of rest, but when Cotton told the fighters to ignore the mouthpiece and continue the round, Macklin shot Cotton a look of full-on despair, as if he were envisioning losing half his purse for this fight to dental bills after catching a flush Golovkin right to the teeth.

The peril facing Macklin’s pearly whites got me wondering about the destructive power of Golovkin’s fists. How many shots would it take for him to punch through the wall in my living room? Could he pulverize cinder blocks or break down an old wooden couch frame faster than the Crovel Extreme II? This is foolish, but the strength of Golovkin’s blows is marvelous enough to inspire silly thoughts. What’s more relevant to boxing is the way that Golovkin rarely seems to load up on his shots or look for the knockout blow. He applies pressure and throws smooth, fluid punches. The damage accumulates, and bodies fall.

5. So Much Pain

Unfortunately for Macklin, Everlast has yet to invent a protective rubber guard for one’s liver. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a person experience pain quite like Macklin did from the Golovkin left hook to the body that ended Saturday’s fight. Macklin was facing away from press row with his back to the ropes when the punch landed, so I didn’t see the death grimace that HBO’s cameras captured at the moment of impact, but he grabbed a rope and pulled his body up just enough to flash his contorted visage in my direction before collapsing again and writhing on his belly. He didn’t appear to be trying to beat the count, although as a professional fighter, I’m sure he wanted to get up. But his movement suggested no such purpose — it was pure, agonized flailing.

Since Macklin was considered a top-five middleweight before facing Golovkin, the post-fight gossip since Saturday has centered on whom HBO might be able to match with Golovkin next. And, this being boxing, the discussion has been pessimistic. It is, after all, a sport where a dangerous, rising star like Golovkin can struggle to land fights with elite competitors who see little reason to risk taking a loss and a beating to fight Golovkin when they can probably earn the same money against Matthew Macklin. Sergio Martinez, the lineal champion of the middleweight division and one of the world’s top pound-for-pound fighters, is 38 years old and recovering from knee and hand injuries. Martinez plans to retire in the next couple years, and he may wish to maximize his earnings in those last two fights by selecting two bigger-name opponents than Golovkin. Peter Quillin, another title holder at middleweight, is promoted by Golden Boy, and Golovkin fights on HBO, which refuses to do business with Golden Boy. The winner of an August middleweight title fight between Daniel Geale and Darren Barker might look for an easier foe than Golovkin. The same goes for British super middleweight Carl Froch, who can fight a lesser contender on U.K. television if HBO presses him to accept a bout with Golovkin. A super-middleweight fight between Golovkin and top pound-for-pound contender Andre Ward seems destined to happen, but not in the immediate future.

But you know what? For once, let’s ignore the business behind boxing. The intrigues and rumors and double-crosses between promoters and managers, boxers and trainers, advisers and networks — they’re all entertaining, but Golovkin is one of the handful of fighters in the sport who’s so compelling, so powerful, and just so damn good that he’s best enjoyed by shutting out all the noise and watching him go to work.