You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Man Utd and Referee influence

Red Phoenix

This is the basis of a lot of the article linked below :

During United’s title winning 2010/11 season, they only lost 4 league games. I looked at who refereed those games and how long they then spent without being assigned Manchester United games as well their subsequent trend of behavior towards United.

Have just read most of it and have got to link it, way stranger than I thought.

The person at the head of the PGMOB and who is in charge of selecting which referee gets handed which game is Mike Riley, an ex professional referee who is most famous for giving a penalty for a clear dive by Wayne Rooney in the 2004 Man United 2-0 win against Arsenal which ended the Gunners 49 game unbeaten streak.

Riley was accused of pro United favoritism throughout his career. For younger readers, he’s my generation’s Howard Webb.

According to the Guardian’s research, which goes to back to the beginning of the 1997-98 season until 2004, “Riley refereed 23 United games in all competitions and gave 12 penalties for United in that time, but only three against them. And he has sent off five of United’s opponents.

Plenty more here : Sabotage Times » City Fans: Here’s Evidence Of The United Referee Conspiracy

I honestly don't think the bit I quoted is anywhere near as weird as some of the other stuff in that article. I hope something eventually happens if this is true.

Edited by Red Phoenix

Unless someone in the national media starts doing their job this will go exactly nowhere and remain a conspiracy theory. It's fraud and they do fuck all about it.

Agreed mostly. The longer it goes on the less the silence should remain though, football fans can make a big difference by raising awareness and speaking out about it.

A big problem IMO is basically the English Public.

Theres no appetite to stop this shit going on season after season, the public is split up between people that see theres something obviously going on but laugh it off, people who refuse to believe the English game could ever be corrupt in any way possible, and people who know its happening but seem happy to let it continue.

And it doesn't help that when stuff like this is brought up, with clear obvious evidence showing something is not right. You get people who come steaming in with "SHOW ME THE EVIDENCE, SHOW ME SOMETHING". And most of the time if they looked at the fucking articles posted in threads like or just fucking did 2 mins of googling they'd find plenty of interesting stuff that would surely raise a question in any non biased person's mind.

It was the same with the Suarez report, there were countless problems with that highlighted shitloads of times in shitload of threads and shitload of links posted. Yet people kept asking for the inconsistencies to be listed over and over again in some insane almost delibrate attempt to derail threads.

Nothing will change with United until theres a wholesale change in the attitude of the English public and the media.

Some don't like him mentioned, but Rafa Benitez if memory serves is the only man to raise this matter.

An educated, successful Manager from Spain, sitting behind a desk reading from his notes at a press conference, reading point after point of manipulation from those cunts.

This wasnt rage like Keegan or Atkinson, this was, you know something, this aint a fair fight and Ill tell you why...

The rest is history,

a) the journalists sat quietly taking notes of this amazing opportunity of a story and took each point to task proving to the public that what he said was true.

b) they called it Rafa's rant and fans over the grounds had their chant "he is cracking up"

I honestly believe things will get better when he goes, and I don't mean retirement.

I hate Chelsea but nowhere near as much as them, part of me wants Benitez to get that team going just for the fun of the run in.

Some don't like him mentioned, but Rafa Benitez if memory serves is the only man to raise this matter.

An educated, successful Manager from Spain, sitting behind a desk reading from his notes at a press conference, reading point after point of manipulation from those cunts.

This wasnt rage like Keegan or Atkinson, this was, you know something, this aint a fair fight and Ill tell you why...

The rest is history,

a) the journalists sat quietly taking notes of this amazing opportunity of a story and took each point to task proving to the public that what he said was true.

b) they called it Rafa's rant and fans over the grounds had their chant "he is cracking up"

I honestly believe things will get better when he goes, and I don't mean retirement.

I hate Chelsea but nowhere near as much as them, part of me wants Benitez to get that team going just for the fun of the run in.

Great post and totally agree with the sentiment in the last paragraph.

as in, they didn't concede a pen at home from 1994 - 2004??

Really?

I believe that was the last episode of the Danny Murphy trilogy of 0-1 at OT.

yeah didnt concede one but even so its a fucking hell of a lot of games

yeah it was. love that man.

The rest is history,

Don't forget Martinez also spoke out in a similar manner, only to be gently 'reminded' about the party line over a cosy dinner with Fergie and lapdogs, Allardyce and Moyes. Oh, and the loan of Cleverly as a reward for shutting the fuck up.

Noticed The Drunk being unhappy with Sunderland fans for their goading of United losing the title on the last day of last season, 'especially given all the players we've given them over the years'. Not a word was said about it. Staggering if you ask me; effectively threatening them because they didn't cheer the shower of cunts lifting the PL trophy in their home ground. Beggars belief.

The first one, Im guessing December 2000 or 2001, was always my favourite.

The second one was robbery, battered for 85 mins then he stole it.

The third, the decisive penalty, I bet that ref never got a game there again.

Damn, they were great days.

Sorry for going off track, in conclusion, they manipulate the media and also the refs. I believe that. Ferguson has installed that.

"Noticed The Drunk being unhappy with Sunderland fans for their goading of United losing the title on the last day of last season, 'especially given all the players we've given them over the years'. Not a word was said about it. Staggering if you ask me; effectively threatening them because they didn't cheer the shower of cunts lifting the PL trophy in their home ground. Beggars belief."

not heard this

Guest San Don

Nothing new here.

However IMO, the club now has suffice conclusive proof that Riley's mob are turning down clear pens which other clubs, especially united, get.

The club should really go to town on it.

John Mcclane? You said?

"The first one, Im guessing December 2000 or 2001, was always my favourite.

The second one was robbery, battered for 85 mins then he stole it.

The third, the decisive penalty, I bet that ref never got a game there again."

The first one? Was the basis for All those b*stard 0-1 defeats we started suffering against them at Anfield in the mid 00's as Ferguson stole Houllier's approach (sit back for 90, defend with 12 (inc' the ref' for them) &? Steal something on the counter or from a set-piece; took us 7 bloody years to over come IIRR? But yes was great with the freekick back in Dec' 2000;

Second one? Was a Freezing Midweek night in January 2002 & wasn't Quite as one-sided as you make out? Yes they battered us in the first half hour or so but after that? We controlled the possession, the chances & the game, kept them at arms-length & in the end? Snatched a deserved winner as Murphy lobbed Barthez in the 86th min' (off the top of my head) to send the Manc' hordes home in the freezing Jan' night disappointed once more & give us a second successive double over them.

Third? Was at the tail end of a truly horrible season for us (Houllier's last) & was our Last league win over them anywhere for 4 years IIRR & at OT for 5 years & it officially ended their time as champions that year (& after until 2007). The ref'? Prob' got a game or two after that one since? It was none other than Mike Riley himself who awarded us a decision in the words of the telegraphs Henry Winter "rarer than a Norwegian Blue" & rarer still? It was the first penalty to the opposition awarded at OT that was Scored in 10 years (not the first awarded - five or so were given in that preceding decade - all were missed - the last before Danny's? Being that one which involved the mob of United players chasing the ref' round half OT IIRR).

Anyway hope that little lot helps a bit re' info' on the 'Murphy Years' at OT.......

BTW? The missing game/year in his 3 match winning streak there v them? was 2003 - we won in 00/01, 01/02 & 03/04 - in 02/03? We Might have gone there with a chance but Young Master Riley was the ref' again & awarded them Two penalties - the first of which he sent off Hyppia for after 4 mins or so IIRR - after which? We went into Houllier style damage control on the way to losing 0-4. That game more than any other? Shows IMO the Real attitude re' Man U from the establishment (& Riley's true colours also) over the last 2 decades or so or to put it another way with a quote from Him himself when We were the ones gettin all the decisions long ago? "another season, nothing changes" - nor Will anything until He goes or is pushed so prob' not for a while yet............

They should San don (Club that is - as in go to town re' Our pen's & legitimate decisions being deliberately denied by bent ref's & that Is what's happening BTW to anyone who disagrees - I defy you to say otherwise now after the past 2 weeks disgraces v West Ham & Villa) In fact? The club Should cause absolute hell & murder on it as the OT tw*ts themselves once did re' us - but? They won't - Henry & co'? last season? Showed that when it comes to confronting the establishment & standing up for ourselves & the club? They are nothing but gutless cowards - their treatment of Kenny for Doing just that & their hanging out Suarez to dry showed that - they're pathetic - Why do you think they Hired Rodgers - He's about as likely to go mental in public over all this as the Sun is to rise in the west - Nice, quiet & anything for a quiet life is their approach - as I said? Gutless cowards - Another season, nothing changes. And I'm afraid to say? With the cowards we have at the helm right now? Nor Will it anytime soon.........

We should concentrate on getting our own house in order.

I do think there is something in the Man Utd penalty thing, but I doubt very much that it will ever be like an Italian type of scandal. I think the advantage they receive is down to their size, influence and reach. On top of that they have one of the best managers in the history of the game... who happens to be a nasty, bullying, vengeful man. I doubt very much that money has crossed hands, but when you take all of these things into account, they do start every game with half a goal advantage.

When Ferguson goes it will be interesting to see if they can maintain it all. Like all good Liverpool fans, I'm hoping they don't!