You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rodgers Out

Red22

Rodgers inherited a poor team. He hasn't been given a proper run at it yet and i'd give him until the summer at least to see how he does. We need some stability and we're going through managers at a rate of one a year at the moment. The thing I'd be paying most attention to is how his new signings perform, as this indicates whether he has the goods to take us forward.

However, I do think that the owners made a massive blunder not getting Van Gaal if he wanted the job. He knows how to manage massive clubs and he knows world football like brendan doesn't. I am convinced that we would be at least 8-10 points better off with him in charge at this point.

I disagree that he inherited a poor team. Sure we weren't great but we were a long way from being poor. It was a squad with some players who KK had brought in who weren't working out and some players who were coming to the end of their careers - but - IMO the changes BR has made have not improved the squad they have weakened it further. With the exception of Allen I don't see anything in any of the others who have arrived. He shipped out three strikers in Kuyt, Bellamy and Carroll (four if you count Maxi) and brought in Borini. Even had Demsey arrived it would have still looked like a massive step backwards to me.

His statement about only wanting lean and hungry players etc set alarm bells ringing. One interpretation is that he lacks the skills/balls/nerve to identify and sign senior "ready made" players. So I reckon we are going to get fed a stream of up and coming players - some will come good some won't. It will be a long time before we ever see it deliver anything on the pitch.

GET HIM OUT. Unless he wins next week, at which point he'll be good again. Until we lose.

Maybe, just maybe, he should be allowed the time to bring an attacking player in? No? Okay, let's just get rid of him.

What did you think about Hodgson?

9. Liverpool 19 7 4 8 23-24 25p

25 points is exactly what we have now.

I'm sure someone has already covered this ground extensively but...

Hodgson was a fucking twat with a 30 year history of mediocrity.

He was an absolute sham of an appointment and was never the right man to take us forward.

Rodgers at least is young, has shown some promise and managed to hone a largely average bunch of players into a fairly effective footballing side last season.

Now, in saying that. I'm not in the blindly optimistic brigade. I think hes making mistakes, some huge glaring ones and some smaller but still worrying ones.

I think he has a long way to go and he needs to start by doing the things so many Liverpool managers have failed to do before him, lose the ego and adapt.

But comparing him and Hodgson will never work. Two completely different managers.

Hodgson had 30 years of showing the world how average he was in several different leagues. He managed average teams and tried to turn us into an average side, playing dire, soul-destroying football - much like his current England side. He barely managed to hide his contempt for us as fans and he never ever gave us the hope that the team was set up to attack the opposition and win matches. There is no comparison between Hodgson and Rodgers, regardless of where the team was/is standing in the table after half a season. I don't think (or want) Rodgers will be sacked in January either, whereas I couldn't wait for Hogdson to be gone.

GET HIM OUT. Unless he wins next week, at which point he'll be good again. Until we lose.

Maybe, just maybe, he should be allowed the time to bring an attacking player in? No? Okay, let's just get rid of him.

We had an attacking player who he let go.

I don't expect the manager to be sacked. I don't expect the owners to change. Mediocrity is the order of the season/s, at least until we get Anfield upto a capacity that is competitive in terms of the main income stream. It's a big ask, with the work ahead. However, I think that Kenny Dalglish was the right man for the long haul and BR is an imposter. By sacking Dalglish, we lost our continuity, we lost the players, and we've lost a lot of the fans.

Fuck knows just how it's going to be put right; perhaps it never will be. Welcome to the machine.

Not sure that the call for his head after this match is appropriate. Rodgers isn't the first nor last manager to go to Stoke trying to play football. But you'd think he would have learned by now that trying to play long balls against these doesn't work either. It's still dispiriting to know that we've never won there and that we haven't been able to field a team that's capable of getting 6 points out of Stoke in a regular season.

We won there last season in league cup. They played their full team and Suare scored twice.

Don't usually get involved on the ff but after today I have to admit that I don't like this brand/style/philosophy/etc or whatever the fuck the kids call it these days that much. This loss today is not the sole reason for this rant but today's game hilighted things that have been a continuous thorn in my balls.

Now I don't want us to park the fucking bus and hoof but the amount of fucking around, and that's all it really is - fucking around, that takes place with the ball around our box is criminal. I mean can we not just sort the fucking basics out? Also why do we push up our fullbacks but leave a low cb line? When possession is lost it leaves acres to run into. It just seems like defending is an afterthought to BR and that in his mind our "tenacity and pressure" will somehow sort that all out. This famous pressing looked more like an 8 year old playing FIFA and holding x whenever an opposition player gets close, disorganised.

Even though it can be said he didn't inherit a good squad or didn't get backed in the window so fucking what, if he feels like his players are not of the quality to play his style, alter the fucking style slightly, at least temporarily. I don't want him out and I can see the merits of his style even though I disagree and I'm more than prepared to give him more time to sort things but is it too much to ask for some cohesive, sane defending?

Rodgers needs to toughen up there are some players out there who know he is a soft touch he needs to bring in the Fergie blow torch or the flying boot,make them not disappointed to lose but downright disgusted and shit scared of it happening again take it as a personal insult to your standard as a pro. football player, your Liverpool not stoke for Christ sake, players to name just a few among many, king kenny, billy liddel, ian st john, souness if you went behind these guys would redouble their efforts, they would refuse to take a defeat until the final whistle, I remember the first season when Paisley took over and we finished down the table he said i was like an apprentice on a derby horse i ran wide at the bends, also i was too soft with some players but by god it wont happen again, we all know the rest.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

I think he was fucking terrible. Next?

People, and football, are not only about figures and stats. it helps, sure, but it's nothing compared to relationship, decision making, charisma, vision, etc

We almost all hated Hodgson, not only for the results, but because of the way the team played, the way he spoke, the way he thought, the way he saw the world for LFC.

It"s tough to be a Liverpool fan right now, as it has been for a while, but we have to take some perspective and give time to the manager.

Can't we just do that ?

It's not only about the result... they matter, too, but Hodgson showed he was antiquated and unable to change.

Harsh, hodgson inherited the worst hand any LFC manager has ever had to deal with, by choice I accept.

The identical records of Hodgson and Rodgers are telling, as is the relative performance of us and Swansea City.

In practise we have lowered the bar of expectation for Rodgers, that may be what we will have to get used to.

Just a quick reply to those people who are saying "fucking about" in relation to us passing the ball around for long periods without getting anywhere.

The idea there is that, sooner or later, as we move the ball and our players around the pitch, the opposition players are forced to either move with our players or hold their position.

If they move with our players it creates space for other players to move into.

If they hold their position our players are free to receive a pass and will be in space.

As these two things continue to happen eventually the opposition will become a little disjointed and disorganised at which point we play through/in behind them for a chance.

Now I think this has happened in quite a few games this season and we've seen numerous chances created this way (similarly under Dalglish if you ask me, but that's another story.)

I don't mean to be pedantic posting this as I'm sure everyone understands the idea behind this style of play, I just don't think it's fair to call it "fucking aabout" when there is a good idea behind it, and quite frankly a pretty simple one at that - pass and moving creates spaces.

Just a quick reply to those people who are saying "fucking about" in relation to us passing the ball around for long periods without getting anywhere.

The idea there is that, sooner or later, as we move the ball and our players around the pitch, the opposition players are forced to either move with our players or hold their position.

If they move with our players it creates space for other players to move into.

If they hold their position our players are free to receive a pass and will be in space.

As these two things continue to happen eventually the opposition will become a little disjointed and disorganised at which point we play through/in behind them for a chance.

Now I think this has happened in quite a few games this season and we've seen numerous chances created this way (similarly under Dalglish if you ask me, but that's another story.)

I don't mean to be pedantic posting this as I'm sure everyone understands the idea behind this style of play, I just don't think it's fair to call it "fucking aabout" when there is a good idea behind it, and quite frankly a pretty simple one at that - pass and moving creates spaces.

That's great, but when you're doing it on the edge of your own box you're not going to be opening up defences.

Launching the ball when ever you're under any sort of pressure defeats the aim of playing possession football I agree Zig, but there has to be a purpose to having the ball. And not simply 'resting' with it.

I was more referring to the fact that we become exponentially less comfortable in possession as we progress up the pitch. I don't want to see us launching it, but like you I want to see us progressing up the pitch with purpose.

"Fucking about" is an entirely fair description for much of what we do as a team, regardless of all the lofty talk of our past way of playing.

I was more referring to the fact that we become exponentially less comfortable in possession as we progress up the pitch. I don't want to see us launching it, but like you I want to see us progressing up the pitch with purpose.

"Fucking about" is an entirely fair description for much of what we do as a team, regardless of all the lofty talk of our past way of playing.

Agree with all of that.

Hodgson had 30 years of showing the world how average he was in several different leagues. He managed average teams and tried to turn us into an average side, playing dire, soul-destroying football - much like his current England side. He barely managed to hide his contempt for us as fans and he never ever gave us the hope that the team was set up to attack the opposition and win matches. There is no comparison between Hodgson and Rodgers, regardless of where the team was/is standing in the table after half a season. I don't think (or want) Rodgers will be sacked in January either, whereas I couldn't wait for Hogdson to be gone.

It's true, you know. Hodgson was an experienced crap manager who talked gibberish. Rodgers is an inexperienced crap manager who talks gibberish. He needs many more years of being crap and talking gibberish before he deserves the treatment Hodgson got.