You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Never nice to hear of this stuff going on, and for fans like Spurs / City etc who are new to it all, they are sitting ducks.

It's just shit really. These nights should be all about a few beers in Rome, mixing with opposition fans and enjoying yourselves. Not being treated like cattle, worried about your wallet, the police, the home fans or your own life.

European ban is in order for any team that repeatedly has this issue.

Never nice to hear of this stuff going on, and for fans like Spurs / City etc who are new to it all, they are sitting ducks.

It's just shit really. These nights should be all about a few beers in Rome, mixing with opposition fans and enjoying yourselves. Not being treated like cattle, worried about your wallet, the police, the home fans or your own life.

European ban is in order for any team that repeatedly has this issue.

It's the city more than the team. Been the same for decades.

Is it true heysel in part happened due to the year before liverpool fans being stabbed and though it doesn't condone what happened in the slightest that provocation alongside being in a stadium completely unfit for purpose was essentially a disaster waiting to happen. I'm too young to remember heysel, a few on here must of went though and the year before.

Is it true heysel in part happened due to the year before liverpool fans being stabbed and though it doesn't condone what happened in the slightest that provocation alongside being in a stadium completely unfit for purpose was essentially a disaster waiting to happen. I'm too young to remember heysel, a few on here must of went though and the year before.

I wasn't in Rome in 84 but I was 19 and knew a couple of lads who went and apart from some coverage in the Echo and a brief mention on Radio City nothing that went on over there was reported. It wasn't just a one off bar ambush, missiles and knife attacks were coming from all angles and if any police were present they stood off and watched unless Liverpool fans retaliated in which case the batons came out.

I don't know what the stab count was but it was way higher than anything that has occurred in Italy with English fans since.

I'd say that was a bit misleading.

In those times (doesn't seem that long ago to me), English fans had a reputation for causing trouble. We had the best team in Europe by a mile (Liverpool) and were dominating in Europe. Arguably, England's hooliganism element was already starting to decline, but the reputation remained. Meanwhile, many foreign hooligan elements were still on the rise, and any English fans were always going to be considered a 'challenge' for the foreign hooligans.

Did Liverpool have hooligans? yes they did. Every large club did. Liverpool were no worse, and no better than everybody else, but because they were the prominent English club of that era, it was Liverpool who became the focal point for any clashes abroad, and thus got all the bad press.

Of course, it could be argued that 'in part' Heysel happened because of previous events, but in truth, Heysel was just a culmination of hooliganism in general, poor policing (that treated ALL as hooligans) and diabolical conditions across most grounds in Europe. It was a precursor to Hillsborough in many ways. Although the disaster came about differently, many of the same factors resulted in tragedy:

1) Poor policing

2) Poor stadium condition

3) Poor control of fans on the terraces

4) Some elements of the crowd (on both sides) 'rushing' each other (charging at each other in large numbers).

It does have to be said though, that Heysel was exacerbated by hooligan elements on both sides, who basically became the straw that broke the camel's back at the stadium.

It MAY have happened eventually anyway, with a goal scored, and any fans jumping up and down etc... (parts of the stadium were structurally unsafe after years of neglect, not least the supporting wall of the terrace the fans were on).

I personally would say it's unfair to say it came about through any specific incident previously. It was just highly likely that such a disaster would occur between heavily supported clubs, and most likely clubs that had 'history' between each other (as would be expected with top European teams).

How the fuck do Roma keep getting away with this? Nearly every time an English club comes to Italy this happens. You can also trace back the origins of Heysel to those bastards also.

I actually went to quite a number of Roma games a few years back when I was working in Italy and there a nasty bunch.

In those times (doesn't seem that long ago to me), English fans had a reputation for causing trouble. We had the best team in Europe by a mile (Liverpool) and were dominating in the Europe. Arguably, England's hooliganism element was already starting to decline, but the reputation remained. Meanwhile, many foreign hooligan elements were still on the rise, and any English fans were always going to be considered a 'challenge' for the foreign hooligans.

Well, my mate was at Rome and by all accounts it resulted in coach loads lying on the floor as the windows were being put in, most were terrified, and the following year on neutral territory was always going to be naughty - add in a shit stadium, half arsed policing and the rest is sadly part of our history.

To this day I don't quite know how I managed to wander around Rome in 2001, pissed, lost and alone and nothing happend! I woke up the next day with tales of fans being stabbed and didn't quite understand how I managed to get away with it.

In those times (doesn't seem that long ago to me), English fans had a reputation for causing trouble. We had the best team in Europe by a mile (Liverpool) and were dominating in the Europe. Arguably, England's hooliganism element was already starting to decline, but the reputation remained. Meanwhile, many foreign hooligan elements were still on the rise, and any English fans were always going to be considered a 'challenge' for the foreign hooligans.

Did Liverpool have hooligans? yes they did. Every large club did. Liverpool were no worse, and no better than everybody else, but because they were the prominent English club of that era, it was Liverpool who became the focal point for any clashes abroad, and thus got all the bad press.

Of course, it could be argued that 'in part' Heysel happened because of previous events, but in truth, Heysel was just a culmination of hooliganism in general, poor policing (that treated ALL as hooligans) and diabolical conditions across most grounds in Europe. It was a precursor to Hillsborough in many ways. Although the disaster came about differently, many of the same factors resulted in tragedy:

1) Poor policing

4) Some elements of the crowd (on both sides) 'rushing' each other (charging at each other in large numbers).

It does have to be said though, that Heysel was exacerbated by hooligan elements on both sides, who basically became the straw that broke the camel's back at the stadium.

It MAY have happened eventually anyway, with a goal scored, and any fans jumping up and down etc... (the stadium was structurally unsafe after years of neglect).

I personally would say it's unfair to say it came about through any specific incident previously. It was just highly likely that such a disaster would occur between heavily supported clubs, and most likely clubs that had 'history' between each other (as would be expected with top European teams).

Heading to the Udinese match,first Euro away do you's reckon it will be ok over there?

Reckon I'm gona have to buy a home ticket and all so just put on a Udinese scarf keep my head down?With the girlfriend as well (Im told her it was a trip to Venice) so don't want any off that shit coming into play.

Anyone any tips or experience of being out there?

In those times (doesn't seem that long ago to me), English fans had a reputation for causing trouble. We had the best team in Europe by a mile (Liverpool) and were dominating in Europe. Arguably, England's hooliganism element was already starting to decline, but the reputation remained. Meanwhile, many foreign hooligan elements were still on the rise, and any English fans were always going to be considered a 'challenge' for the foreign hooligans.

1) Poor policing

It MAY have happened eventually anyway, with a goal scored, and any fans jumping up and down etc... (parts of the stadium were structurally unsafe after years of neglect, not least the supporting wall of the terrace the fans were on).

I think you missed the point of the post you were responding to, that in 85 a lot of Liverpool fans were ready for a war after what we had endured the year before in Rome. They slaughtered us in 84 and in Belgium a lot of Liverpool fans were ready for it to kick off again. 84 was a massive eye opener and IMO a massive contributor to Heysel.

Heading to the Udinese match,first Euro away do you's reckon it will be ok over there?

Reckon I'm gona have to buy a home ticket and all so just put on a Udinese scarf keep my head down?With the girlfriend as well (Im told her it was a trip to Venice) so don't want any off that shit coming into play.

Anyone any tips or experience of being out there?

Stay in Venice the night before, give your girfliend the best orgasm you are capable of, or couple of them and then travel to the game without your LFC top or at least keep it under jacket and after the game hide it under the jacket again and travel straight back to Venice and give her another top class orgasm.

If you´ll be good enough during those two nights, then she will maybe endure little beating from Udine ultras between those orgasm´s and still find the trip hillarious.

Stay in Venice the night before' date=' give your girfliend the best orgasm you are capable of, or couple of them and then travel to the game without your LFC top or at least keep it under jacket and after the game hide it under the jacket again and travel straight back to Venice and give her another top class orgasm.

If you´ll be good enough during those two nights, then she will maybe endure little beating from Udine ultras between those orgasm´s and still find the trip hillarious.[/quote']

Good advice il take that into account