You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The new doctor

WaltonRed

• 2 months later...
Guest Pistonbroke

that assistant girl on the caribbean island was gorgeous though.

Which one? They changed the actress a while back. Both would get it though. 

Sara Martins (first one)

00143cbcc2a41f9f83d55928629835f4--sara-m

Josephine Jorbert (second one) 

0c53048a2067c5757e1ee7761a3e720a.jpg

I like Jodie Whittaker a lot, I'm sure she'll be a great Doctor and I'll give her the same chance as every other actor to play the role.

I still fundamentally disagree with the decision. I'd prefer women have the chance to run these shows or be head writer or create something even better than take over male characters whilst the blokes in charge pat themselves on the back for being inclusive whilst still running all the top jobs.

It is possible to be wary of the decision without being a sexist. Looking forward with interest to see what she does with the role.

Guest Pistonbroke

I like Jodie Whittaker a lot, I'm sure she'll be a great Doctor and I'll give her the same chance as every other actor to play the role.

I still fundamentally disagree with the decision. I'd prefer women have the chance to run these shows or be head writer or create something even better than take over male characters whilst the blokes in charge pat themselves on the back for being inclusive whilst still running all the top jobs.

It is possible to be wary of the decision without being a sexist. Looking forward with interest to see what she does with the role.

Indeed, hence why I used the wording I did. 

The decision will piss off a lot of sexists though, as is already the case going by the outpouring of shit on social media. I can only imagine the crap if they had chosen a Black woman. 

It's a children's TV show where the main character is an alien who changes his physical appearance every couple of years. But it being a woman is a stretch?

Good on her, she's a brilliant actress.

Minor edit

Guest Pistonbroke

I think it's a good move, I've never seen Dr Who as an especially male character like, say, James Bond. 

It was already established that Time Lords could regenerate into any gender, it was always just going to be a matter of time. Obviously it is up to the viewer to decide if they think it works or not, well at least those that will give the idea a chance. Many saying "Fuck this, It's dead. Not going to watch it..." blah blah blah. 

It's a children's TV show where the main character is an alien who changes his physical appearance every couple of years. But it being a woman is a stretch?

Good on her, she's a brilliant actress.

Minor edit

I feel like the bit in bold is deliberate attempt to talk down people's affections for a show that's been running longer than most of us have been alive. If you view it as such then really I'm surprised you're bothered to comment on it.

Indeed, hence why I used the wording I did. 

The decision will piss off a lot of sexists though, as is already the case going by the outpouring of shit on social media. I can only imagine the crap if they had chosen a Black woman. 

Or a woman who isn't as pretty as Jodie Whittaker. A lot of Doctor Who fans aren't the sort of people who are sexists but the comments section on certain newspapers will be frothing at pc gone mad.

Guest Pistonbroke

Or a woman who isn't as pretty as Jodie Whittaker. A lot of Doctor Who fans aren't the sort of people who are sexists but the comments section on certain newspapers will be frothing at pc gone mad.

Indeed, plus secretly most of those who have followed the series for any length of time will still tune in to watch it. Will she be getting a male sidekick...............

I feel like the bit in bold is deliberate attempt to talk down people's affections for a show that's been running longer than most of us have been alive. If you view it as such then really I'm surprised you're bothered to comment on it.

I love Dr Who, I think it's brilliant and have enjoyed it immensely since it came back. I even like Torchwood! But it is a kids show really.

• Upvote 1

Indeed, plus secretly most of those who have followed the series for any length of time will still tune in to watch it. Will she be getting a male sidekick...............

I hope not. Nor do I want them to soften the character like they did with the Master when they cast Michelle Gomez.

Guest Pistonbroke

I hope not. Nor do I want them to soften the character like they did with the Master when they cast Michelle Gomez.

It will be interesting to see what they do as far as a sidekick goes, I can't see them softening the character. 

Dr Who has been shit for years,not necessarily because its 'for kids' but anything with a large cast of British actors usually means its got a fair few wooden soap,hollyoaks,holby city,actors/actresses attached. This doesnt just apply to Dr Who but is endemic of British telly. Let them all speak Welsh or Gaelic and they might improve.