You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Eng U21 Serbia fight

Jennings

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone know if any of our boys were involved in the fight?

Sterling was playing for the U21s and saw him having words with one or two when ITV showed the pics.

Paul Ince has called for a ten year ban for Serbia. It's the fucking 21st century, for fuck's sake. If UEFA and FIFA don't start handing out bans to countries who do this shit then it's a joke.

Sterling was playing for the U21s and saw him having words with one or two when ITV showed the pics.

Paul Ince has called for a ten year ban for Serbia. It's the fucking 21st century, for fuck's sake. If UEFA and FIFA don't start handing out bans to countries who do this shit then it's a joke.

The same UEFA run by Sepp Blatter who recently tweeted that football was the solution to conflict in the Middle East?

The same UEFA that took 90 minutes or so to decide a pitch was too wet, when its own guidelines call for a game to be called off at the earliest possible opportunity?

Absolutely shambles of an organisation. Corrupt, incompetent and crass.

Is anyone surprised? Not the first time Serbia have been involved in something like this. I'm sure the £100 fine UEFA will throw at them will act as a deterrent for future games...

It's about time UEFA/FIFA started banning teams or their supporters to get the message home about racism.

Guest ShoePiss
Someone needs to start doing "ironic" photos of Suarez at various bad events like this, a bit like the Terry photos at good events. It'll show how extreme he prejudice is against him.

Already a thread with just that somewhere, I was quite proud of my satellite image of hurricane katrina with Suarez' face as the eye

Guest ShoePiss

I'm sure there's some great Serbs and Eastern Europeans in general, shame (for me I'm sure) that every one I've met has been overly aggressive, mean spirited, miserable oh and racist. Product of their environment maybe.

I'm sure there's some great Serbs and Eastern Europeans in general, shame (for me I'm sure) that every one I've met has been overly aggressive, mean spirited, miserable oh and racist. Product of their environment maybe.

As someone who has spent a LOT of time in Eastern Europe. No, I don't find that at all... and definitely not in the Balkans.

Racism? I've found Russians the worst of the bunch for that.

I just think they are going through the stage we had to go through 30 years ago, where football attracted hooligans who often chose to express right wing views to look 'hard' or 'extreme'.

But there was a severe consequence for all of English football when things went too far, and we eventually got our act together.

UEFA should be looking at bans, at least for one competition, then possibly a number of years if it continues.

We didn't like it when it happened to us, but it was a catalyst for fixing things.

And yes, I know this isn't quite the same form of hooliganism as in the 80s, but if UEFA truly believe racism is just as bad as physical violence, then they should act as they did in the 80's.

I concur in part with you Fanchester but I also think that in Serbia and other continental European countries the terraces have been infiltrated by far right political parties who exacerbate the situation.

The Serbs also will have numerous people in the stands who were involved in the Balkans conflict of the 1990s and early 2000s and who see nationalism and ethnicity as a huge part of their being and react in a negative manner to those outwith their specific group. Altering this kind of mindset requires time, economic prosperity, immigration and strongly legislative policies that encourage inclusion- something that the current Serb authorities don't particularly want to be associated with as it doesn’t connect with their voter base.

If UEFA respond in their usual meek manner I think the FA should have a genuine think about putting together a statement that says in future players will discontinue taking part in matches where abuse is aimed at them. Though knowing that load of gutless chumps I reckon there response will be totally incoherent as is their handling of virtually everything they are presented with.

This is one of the reasons there was such a closed shop with regard to any balanced discussion of the Suarez 'affair'. The F.A. probably correctly felt their bargaining postition after events such as last night in Serbia would be weakened had they not been seen by the rest of Europe to punish Suarez.

Uefa would use it against them and effectively tell the F.A to get their own house in order before they come complaining to them.

In this instance they have every right to be annoyed! Organised monkey noises is really naughty and we shouldn't stand for it!

But when there's video evidence of an Englishman called somebody a fucking black cunt, they're nowhere to be seen/heard!

But when there's video evidence of an Englishman called somebody a fucking black cunt, they're nowhere to be seen/heard!

Nah they were quite vocal over that! In fact they were quite vocal in their opposition to the size of the ban - they felt it should have been longer.

In a statement on their website, the Serbian FA said: "(The) FA of Serbia absolutely refuses (sic) and denies that there were any occurrences of racism before and during the match at the stadium in Krusevac.

"Making connection between the seen incident - a fight between members of the two teams - and racism has absolutely no ground and we consider it to be a total malevolence."

________

That is quite incredible when you consider you could see and hear it all coming across on TV.