You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Joe Allen thread

MLB

When he has played upfield he had shown it. Good passer, no-look passes, that sort of thing. I wouldn't play him there, not unless it's a 433 with Coutinho on the left.

What he does off is good closing down from the front, which we do lack at times.

Yeah, can't see him getting than role when Coutinho is fit.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

I guess it just depends on what Rodgers' plans are. If we're going back to a 4-3-3, he can play the furthest most player in the midfield, with Gerrard and Lucas behind - which seems to be what Rodgers likes. It's tough to leave anybody out at times, which I guess is a sign of progression within the squad. I think you said the other day that we've got very few bad players in the squad now, which I agreed with. We're making progress, even if it is slow and steady.

Apparently that wins the race.

It's a shame he was injured at the same time as Coutinho, as I would have liked to see Allen behind Sturridge and Suarez, with Gerrard and Henderson/Lucas behind. 

I think Allen may still go on to have a good career at Liverpool. He started last season well, then he faded and looked lightweight, and it turned out he was playing with an injury, which he then got sorted, but another injury has meant he hasn't really got going this season yet. 

He's not creative like Coutinho, but he can pick a pass, play with his head up, and at his best he can harrass the opposition and get his foot in there and nick the ball away. He could be an important player for us in keeping the ball in the final third. Hopefully he will make his mark here this season. 

• 1 month later...

I thought Allen was excellent today. He played some really good forward passes and he ran with the ball and attacked space when it was there.

He had a strong opponent in Diame and first half he held him off really well on a few occasions and didn't get out muscled once. He can also press the ball very well and intelligently.

When Gerrard came off and he went further forward he was good on the ball and played some really creative passes as well. He looked really composed at times today.

I hope he can continue this form and get back to how he started for us last season, he can be a really good player and i think we need to give him a bit of time to recover his form

Impressed with him today for the first time this year, missed the Norwich game but he apparently played well there too. Hopefully him and Sterling can keep up the form shown today.

I was at the Norwich game and he looked really good whilst keeping the team ticking, he played really well again today, he just needs a bit of time and patience. As for Sterling, I know he slipped but his finishing/shooting is just awful, it's like he needs to do leg weights just to reach the goals. I'm not convinced he's that fast either, quick obviously but not blistering fast like he looked at reserve level.

Im not a fan of Sterling but to say he isnt that fast is fucking mental hes our fastest current first team player probably. Allan was brilliant him and Sakho were joint mom for me.

Well if he is that fast he doesn't use it at all in the right way, how many times do you see him knocking past a player and just running, I agree at under 18s and reserve level he did look very quick, whether he isn't showing it because he's still adapting to the physicality at first team level I guess we'll see in the future.

I'm not saying he's the best player in the world but due to a similar build and style he should be direct like Aaron Lennon, he causes teams trouble just because he's THAT fast, freeing up the other attackers, Sterling can be Lennon and a whole lot more.

I didn't say he didn't play well, I'm just saying his finishing and shooting is bad.

He's not even 19 yet. He has played 50 times for us already, that's some going. He wont look fast against fully grown men, his muscles are still developing. With age his composure will come through and he will shit himself less when he has a chance. When he is fully grown and has more experience he will fly past players.

He has a really good manager with a decent history of developing youth and giving them games.

I would say that he has a really good chance of becoming a damn good player for us in years to come.

He's not even 19 yet. He has played 50 times for us already, that's some going.

he wont look fast against fully grown men, his muscles are still developing. With age his composure will come through and he will shit himself less when he has a chance.

He has a really good manager with a decent history of developing youth and giving them a chance.

I would say that he has a really good chance of becoming a damn good player for us in years to come.

He does have a good chance mate he looked unbelievable when playing against his own age group, he looks like he's putting the effort in in training which is good news. If only half of the stories about him off the pitch were true then he really could have gone either way but thankfully he must be putting it in as I don't think Rodgers would keep faith in him if his attitude wasn't spot on, if only to teach him a lesson.

Well if he is that fast he doesn't use it at all in the right way, how many times do you see him knocking past a player and just running, I agree at under 18s and reserve level he did look very quick, whether he isn't showing it because he's still adapting to the physicality at first team level I guess we'll see in the future.

I'm not saying he's the best player in the world but due to a similar build and style he should be direct like Aaron Lennon, he causes teams trouble just because he's THAT fast, freeing up the other attackers, Sterling can be Lennon and a whole lot more.

I dont rate him myself pisses me off hes so frustrating to watch hes such a fast player but always brings play to a halt i dont know if that because he doesnt have a football brain or just isnt very skilled at a dribble from take off. My view on him is hes unable to do more than one thing at once.