You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Joe Allen thread

MLB

Agreed.

And therefore, in my opinion, the comparisons with Lucas are pointless. We have no idea what instructions the players are given.

we don't know but we can see the combination which works and which does not work. Lucas-Gerrard-someone does not work, Gerrard-Allen-Henderson works. Right now Lucas is a luxury player, he gets overruned in midfield constantly, does fuck all to protect the defense whilst Allen AT LEAST has some awareness to not abandon his position,to track back runners,to not commit needless fouls etc. It was clear as day Allen was playing deepest midfielder, he allowed our defense to play high and press from the half-line, that's why he could play almost as an attacking midfielder! Because of high defense line which pushed him higher. When Lucas came on we dropped back as fuck and they were all over our box, the lad just can't hold the line, shield defense, set a platform to press and dictate play. Period.

Right. Well, I totally disagree with that. They probably couldn't be more different, in my view. Different positions, different role, different performances.

Both played well in all the games mentioned, that's why I said similar performances.

Never said their roles were exactly the same or their styles.

we don't know but we can see the combination which works and which does not work. Lucas-Gerrard-someone does not work, Gerrard-Allen-Henderson works. Right now Lucas is a luxury player, he gets overruned in midfield constantly, does fuck all to protect the defense whilst Allen AT LEAST has some awareness to not abandon his position,to track back runners,to not commit needless fouls etc. It was clear as day Allen was playing deepest midfielder, he allowed our defense to play high and press from the half-line, that's why he could play almost as an attacking midfielder! Because of high defense line which pushed him higher. When Lucas came on we dropped back as fuck and they were all over our box, the lad just can't hold the line, shield defense, set a platform to press and dictate play. Period.

It'll come as an enormous surprise to you, but I disagree with all of that.

we don't know but we can see the combination which works and which does not work. Lucas-Gerrard-someone does not work

We've seen it work plenty of times, we saw it work against West Brom the other week.  

Although I don't think it has worked in any of the games against the top sides.  Then again I don't think any of our midfield combinations has really worked against the top sides.  I think that's mainly down to how open we are as a team.

I don't look forward to facing City or Chelsea in the next few weeks with either Lucas or Allen in centre midfield (or any of our CM's), given our record in big games under Rodgers and our expansive approach.

No it doesn't work, Simon Mignolet and our attack have been carrying us through the season so far, it hasn't work against any side with decent midfield, Jonjo fucking Shelvey outplayed Gerrard and Lucas by himself, we made Tom Huddlestone look like Andrea Pirlo, Schneiderlin and Wanyama made a piss out of Lucas/Gerrard, we're open because we have shit fullbacks and midfield which allows the opposition a free stroll through the middle of the pitch and we give defense no cover at all. WBA were shit, played too deep and didn't fancy to show up, they've played with 2 midfielders, we've played with 3. 

I have to make a comment as I am both drunk and also amazed at the inability of so many on here to see what is right before their fucking eyes. Allen was utter gash for an hour. Gerrard went off injured, Lucas came on and Allen played further forward. It was at this point that Allen started to play very well, yet people on here are still arguing about whether Lucas or Allen should start. We only have one holding midfielder, his name is Lucas. He has to start every 'big' game, we have no one else to play that position. Allen is a terrible holding midfielder, its not his position, he is, however, pretty good when playing further forward. The trouble is , our captain plays in the same position and hes much better than Allen. 

• Downvote 1

No it doesn't work, Simon Mignolet and our attack have been carrying us through the season so far, it hasn't work against any side with decent midfield, Jonjo fucking Shelvey outplayed Gerrard and Lucas by himself, we made Tom Huddlestone look like Andrea Pirlo, Schneiderlin and Wanyama made a piss out of Lucas/Gerrard, we're open because we have shit fullbacks and midfield which allows the opposition a free stroll through the middle of the pitch and we give defense no cover at all. WBA were shit, played too deep and didn't fancy to show up, they've played with 2 midfielders, we've played with 3. 

It works when teams sit deep and don't press, like West Brom, Palace and Fulham did.

But I agree with you, otherwise it struggles.

Lucas is no holding

I have to make a comment as I am both drunk and also amazed at the inability of so many on here to see what is right before their fucking eyes. Allen was utter gash for an hour. Gerrard went off injured, Lucas came on and Allen played further forward. It was at this point that Allen started to play very well, yet people on here are still arguing about whether Lucas or Allen should start. We only have one holding midfielder, his name is Lucas. He has to start every 'big' game, we have no one else to play that position. Allen is a terrible holding midfielder, its not his position, he is, however, pretty good when playing further forward. The trouble is , our captain plays in the same position and hes much better than Allen. 

Lucas is not a holding midfielder, never has been, never will be, you're fucking clueless lad and I'm going to sleep.

I don't agree that Allen was gash for an hour, I think he played well through out the match.

But I agree he is better higher up the field and your other points.

This is possibly the most ill informed, clueless bollocks i've ever read. Utter, utter nonsense.

I don't agree that Allen was gash for an hour, I think he played well through out the match.

But I agree he is better higher up the field and your other points.

Utter gash may have been a little harsh, but Lucas is far better at playing in front of the back four than Allen and Allen is far better in an advanced role than Lucas. I just find the direct comparison between the two pretty tedious/pointless/futile.

Right on cue

Jai -ho negs me!

You follow me around the forum negging me and repping people who disagree with me

What was that about people having a different opinion?

You're a big fucking dickhead and you don't know much about football, please fuck off

The percentage of posts you understand is possibly less than that of San Don. You might well be too stupid to insult.

• Upvote 1

I like Allen, I've liked him since the start to be honest, especially in the deep lying midfield role, he very rarely puts a foot wrong there. He's always making himself available for the pass and takes the strain off the defence when we're passing out from the back. I prefer him to Lucas.

• Upvote 1

It'll come as an enormous surprise to you, but I disagree with all of that.

It didn't surprise me

His post made sense, you dont understand fuck all about football, so you disagreed with it. Kind of predictable.

Whats nice is that people like you are starting to get found out now.

The percentage of posts you understand is possibly less than that of San Don. You might well be too stupid to insult.

You sound like your starting to squirm. People are taking your posts apart and i think its getting to you.

You should make another profile and rep yourself. Then rep anybody that disagrees with me. Why change what you have been doing for the last 2 weeks?

Its working...

Guest Numero Veinticinco

We've seen it work plenty of times, we saw it work against West Brom the other week.  

Although I don't think it has worked in any of the games against the top sides.  Then again I don't think any of our midfield combinations has really worked against the top sides.  I think that's mainly down to how open we are as a team.

I don't look forward to facing City or Chelsea in the next few weeks with either Lucas or Allen in centre midfield (or any of our CM's), given our record in big games under Rodgers and our expansive approach.

I think the best game I've ever seen Joe Allen play was against City. He took the right royal piss out of them. Other than a ridiculous piece of play from Skrtel, who I wanted to murder, we rightly would have won the game. Brilliant he was. Anybody who doesn't agree with that he was brilliant in that game, in my opinion, doesn't have the first fucking idea about football or the nuances of the midfield.

• Upvote 2