You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Great Documentaries

chauncey

I remember people coming door to door asking for food for the miners families during the strike, and my mum cleaning the cupboards out for them. I was supportive of them,  but a little gutted that she had given my spam and hot dog sausages away.

Watched Take Care of Maya on Netflix last night.

Absolutely tragic story about how a girl was basically kidnapped by Johns Hopkins All Children’s Hospital in Florida, and how a Social Worker started it all with a 10 minute conversation and led to the suicide of an innocent mother.

A massive injustice that hits hard, probably more so if you are a parent. 

8 floods of tears out 10.

12 hours ago, Juniper said:

Also, get on ‘Lover, Stalker, Killer’ on Netflix. 

Absolutely fucking bonkers. Actually had to check out to see if it was a true story. 

This is on the watch list. Mrs McGonical isn’t a fan of watching weirdo’s just before bed. 

Don’t know why, she should be used to it after 15 years.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

On 08/02/2024 at 11:10, lifetime fan said:

Get Gotti worth watching? 

Not sure if you've watched it yet Col but I thought it was alright. Nothing groundbreaking in terms of what you'll already know but a decent watch all the same. 

‘The Space Shuttle That Fell to Earth’ is worth a watch, a comprehensive overview on what went wrong and incompetence from NASA around the 2004 Columbia disaster. 

3 episode series is on BBC iPlayer as of recent days.

Worth checking out. 

• Upvote 1

8 Days to the Moon and Back.

A docudrama about the Apollo 11 Moonshot with all the dialogue being the actual recordings of Armstrong, Aldrin and Collins, but being played by actors.

I've seen it before but it's very well done and I love all this stuff.

It's available on BBC iPlayer and highly recommended if you haven't seen it already.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Juniper said:

‘The Space Shuttle That Fell to Earth’ is worth a watch, a comprehensive overview on what went wrong and incompetence from NASA around the 2004 Columbia disaster. 

3 episode series is on BBC iPlayer as of recent days.

Worth checking out. 

Watched the first one last night- what struck me was the actual ship looked like it was ready for the knackers yard, even on launch day  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just watched a mini-documentary on Al Jazeera about Chinese kids (age probably 10/11) having to attend some sort of military training camp (like summer camp but with blag rifles).

Anyway, it focussed a lot on a lad who was Tubby (I am myself so I gave him ‘my boy’ status). He struggled with the laps of the training ground and so was becoming a bit isolated from everyone. They interview him and he says he wants to be a fireman, not a soldier. Fair play to him. He obviously doesn’t want to be there.

Anyway, they move onto training with weapons that make “realistic’ firing sounds, and are told they’ll be split into teams, but if they shoot a team mate they’ll be out of the game.

Classic error from the instructor. As sure as Col flambés toast, within minutes of the start my boy is being led away to sit off to the side, while pretending to be upset that his whole team complained he shot one of them. The seal of approval has been given.

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/02/2024 at 18:28, Kepler-186 said:

RoboDoc (2023)

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5759360/?ref_=ext_shr_lnk

4 part mini series documentary on the making of seminal 80s film RoboCop. 

9 bitches leave out of ten 

Watched this earlier in the week as it’s on Prime Video free to watch currently. Superb documentary. 

Brilliant doc, the Oreo story was funny as fuck.

Also, Peter Weller shagging anything that moved back in his trailer and wanting to be called ‘Robo’ throughout the filming.

Get on it while it’s on there. 

IMG_7416.jpeg

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bjornebye said:

The Truth vs Alex Jones is excellent 

What a horrible cunt him and his ilk are 

You probably know it already, but there's a podcast dedicated to debunking Alex Jones' every utterance.

To be fair, it's like shooting fish in a barrel. 

They just play a short clip of his latest syndicated radio show, then mock / abuse / disprove what he says in that clip before moving on to the next clip.

It's called Knowledge Fight.  Don't bother with the weekly episodes if you don't have time, but if you do have time to listen to one (maybe two!), episode 703 (and 704!) is brilliant.

They uncovered the audio from Alex Jones' show on the day of 9/11.  It's incredible.  He gets his friend on who is a financial advisor who was in an adjacent building.  He basically builds him up as an expert "structural engineer" as, probably as part of one of those mixed programme arts degrees, he'd done a course.  I won't spoil it all, but when a "special guest" comes on it changes gear again.

Spoiler alert: he blames 9/11 on the US Government.  Then on Iraq.  Then on Iran.  Then on Osama Bin Laden.  Then back on the US Government.  Then on the EU.

• Upvote 1

Just now, razor said:

You probably know it already, but there's a podcast dedicated to debunking Alex Jones' every utterance.

To be fair, it's like shooting fish in a barrel. 

They just play a short clip of his latest syndicated radio show, then mock / abuse / disprove what he says in that clip before moving on to the next clip.

It's called Knowledge Fight.  Don't bother with the weekly episodes if you don't have time, but if you do have time to listen to one (maybe two!), episode 703 (and 704!) is brilliant.

They uncovered the audio from Alex Jones' show on the day of 9/11.  It's incredible.  He gets his friend on who is a financial advisor who was in an adjacent building.  He basically builds him up as an expert "structural engineer" as, probably as part of one of those mixed programme arts degrees, he'd done a course.  I won't spoil it all, but when a "special guest" comes on it changes gear again.

Spoiler alert: he blames 9/11 on the US Government.  Then on Iraq.  Then on Iran.  Then on Osama Bin Laden.  Then back on the US Government.  Then on the EU.

The cunt should be in jail. He’s lucky them Sandy Hook families all seemed passive people. If that was a Huyton event for example and he turned up at Huyton magistrates with that ego he wouldn’t have made it up the steps