You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Running

Redder Lurtz

Start doing 3k a couple / three times a week and slowly build your distance. Should sort that out. At the start you shouldn't be in pain or forcing yourself too much. You should be able to hold a conversation for most of your run. No point killing yourself, you've proved yourself it makes you lose the enjoyment.

Sound advice but dont think you have to run the whole time either. If you really are starting from scratch use the warm up routine I mentioned at the beginning of the thread by starting off walking for a minute then running for a minute, do that for 5 mins and then trying running for 5min, say, and see how it feels. You might only do that the first time you go out...that's fine..I started that way and then just gradually increase the length of time you're out doing combinations of run/walk until you can run, without the need for walking, for the length of time you want. The endorphins will take care of the rest. Enjoy it

Sound advice but dont think you have to run the whole time either. If you really are starting from scratch use the warm up routine I mentioned at the beginning of the thread by starting off walking for a minute then running for a minute, do that for 5 mins and then trying running for 5min, say, and see how it feels. You might only do that the first time you go out...that's fine..I started that way and then just gradually increase the length of time you're out doing combinations of run/walk until you can run, without the need for walking, for the length of time you want. The endorphins will take care of the rest. Enjoy it

I walk a fair bit so think I'll start doing what you suggested and try to move it up to what Redder has explained. Nice one!

I am back out running, aiming for a 10k sometime soon around Liverpool and depending how the summer goes I will aim for a half marathon around the November. Any suggestions of a programme to supplement my 5 aside three times a week. My main problem is the excess timber that I need to shed to increase my mileage (looking at about a stone), the fitness isn't the problem, its the pressure on knees and ankles. I got through 4.3 miles the other week in about 34 minutes at a nice steady pace with my brother, able to converse in parts and I certainly wasn't dying at the end of it.

I'd just do that three times a week (maybe twice if you're playing that game as well). Cut out as much fat and bread as you can and cut out beer during the week it should start falling off you. Good luck Mark.

My tuppenorth...I agree with quantity of runs but if you're aiming for a 10k and then a half you need to build in at least one long run a week...depending on the length of run you're aiming at and if you're building up distance, and you've already got to 30+min, just increase by 15min each week

And the diet stuff...you cant run on empty...you need carbs to run...and what you eat the night before is what counts. eg when I've been planning long runs I've often gone for baked potato and beans type meals the night before. Lurtz is probably right about the ale!

I'd just do that three times a week (maybe twice if you're playing that game as well). Cut out as much fat and bread as you can and cut out beer during the week it should start falling off you. Good luck Mark.

That is the plan, it is the sport that seems to leave me a bit sore during the week. The ale is a piece of piss to cut out, been drinking shandy when at parties and not just drinking for the sake of it during the week or when out with the lads. It is easy to do and makes you feel better the morning after. My biggest failing was drinking with the girlfriend, it was nearly every night throughout the week, grabbing a beer from the fridge for the sake of it.

My tuppenorth...I agree with quantity of runs but if you're aiming for a 10k and then a half you need to build in at least one long run a week...depending on the length of run you're aiming at and if you're building up distance, and you've already got to 30+min, just increase by 15min each week

And the diet stuff...you cant run on empty...you need carbs to run...and what you eat the night before is what counts. eg when I've been planning long runs I've often gone for baked potato and beans type meals the night before. Lurtz is probably right about the ale!

The lungs are ahead of the joints at the moment, so dropping a few pounds won't hurt me.

Sorry mate but that is not true. I go 3 weeks at a time with 0 carbs and run in the morning fasted. I do about 50 miles a week. Your body can just as easily use fat as a fuel instead of carbs/glucose. I did a 1/2 marathon three weeks into a no carb cycle and just did a local 10k in under 48 mins again on zero carbs.

I wouldn't do any further than that but for a 10k certainly a carb up is not necessary.

I started out walking then intermittent jogging for almost 6 months before I could run 5k. That was 3 years ago and I am in for the London Marathon next year.

[YOUTUBE]obdd31Q9PqA[/YOUTUBE]

Sorry mate but that is not true. I go 3 weeks at a time with 0 carbs and run in the morning fasted. I do about 50 miles a week. Your body can just as easily use fat as a fuel instead of carbs/glucose. I did a 1/2 marathon three weeks into a no carb cycle and just did a local 10k in under 48 mins again on zero carbs.

I wouldn't do any further than that but for a 10k certainly a carb up is not necessary.

I started out walking then intermittent jogging for almost 6 months before I could run 5k. That was 3 years ago and I am in for the London Marathon next year.

Each to their own I say. I've never done restrictive diets like you describe. I accept what you're saying about not needing loads of carbs for runs under 10k but I know my body and I know it doesnt like running without food and for running longer distances, ie marathon training, it seems to work for me carboloading the night before

Each to their own I say. I've never done restrictive diets like you describe. I accept what you're saying about not needing loads of carbs for runs under 10k but I know my body and I know it doesnt like running without food and for running longer distances, ie marathon training, it seems to work for me carboloading the night before

Carbs have never formed a major part of the human diet up until the last 50 years or so when obesity has exploded. Our body's preferred fuel is fat. A load carb diet is the opposite of restrictive.

n 2008 Stampfer co-authored a study in the New England Journal of Medicine that followed 322 moderately obese individuals for two years as they adopted one of three diets: a low-fat, calorie-restricted diet based on American Heart Association guidelines; a Mediterranean, restricted-calorie diet rich in vegetables and low in red meat; and a low-carbohydrate, nonrestricted-calorie diet. Although the subjects on the low-carb diet ate the most saturated fat, they ended up with the healthiest ratio of HDL to LDL cholesterol and lost twice as much weight as their low-fat-eating counterparts.

Carbs against Cardio: More Evidence that Refined Carbohydrates, not Fats, Threaten the Heart: Scientific American

I know diet is a particular interest of yours but, as I said, each to their own. I dont run to lose weight. I run to keep in shape and for the enjoyment of it and am happy to share what I have found that works for me

I know diet is a particular interest of yours but, as I said, each to their own. I dont run to lose weight. I run to keep in shape and for the enjoyment of it and am happy to share what I have found that works for me

That's cool mate and far be it from me to tell anyone what is right. I hate however to hear that carbs = good, fats = bad.

It's a myth. Processed cards and sugar do far more damage to health and fitness that fat.

I followed the tradition skimmed milk, low fat this, low fat the other diet for years and could never get my arse into gear. I could not run more than 500 yards my knees ached. Once I dropped a few stone by forgetting all that bollocks it was so much easier to get fit.

Once you get your head around the fact that the food industry has been selling us this myth for years backed by dodgy research you don't need to diet anymore. I would never have got into the shape I am getting to had I continued to eat bowls of rice, bread and all that stuff.

As for you saying you could not run without eating that is because you are used to carbs and the insulin spike they give you. Once you are used to burning fat the energy you have is immense and you often have to remind yourself to eat.

I too always run on on empty stomach first thing in the morning and have done for years but this is mainly because of bad guts in the morning so thats why it works for me in particular.

I still only do about 1.5 miles twice a week but its become a habit and helps keep my fitness at an average level and has done over time.

I would recommend cycling as either a complimentary exercise or instead of if injury problems dont allow.

As for diet I have never been a fan of fast food on a regular basis so I'm lucky on that score and I havent drunk for a while but have a really bad sweet tooth,eat white bread as it agrees with me more as I tolerate soluble fibre much better and use semi skimmed milk.

To each their own as Champ rightly said.

Did you lose weight RJ?

Yeah, about a stone and a half, but also gained a fuck load of muscle. So it's more about the inches. I'm still no whippet, defo on top end of BMI

I was doing it really to lose fat, tone up, get fit and clear my lungs of 20 years of the smokes. The running just sought of happened as it was an easy way of goal setting.

Tbh, I'd love to play footie competitively again. I just haven't got the ankle for contact sports and tight turning anymore.

I've been running for 2 weeks now (not constantly, just now and again like) and I can report that it's still shit and not fun at all.

2 weeks, you say? And finding it no fun at all? If you've been doing it that long even I think you might be getting more out of it than you're admitting to yourself

I've been running for 2 weeks now (not constantly, just now and again like) and I can report that it's still shit and not fun at all.

What distances are you running, and at what stage does it become unbearably hard work and awful?

I was a continual start and then pack in after a couple of weeks of pain and injury. The lungs were fine, but the body was not up to the pounding. I changed to a run/walk schedule and have now been running for 4 years consistantly. Starting is about building the body up more than anything else.

Get-Started Schedules - Beginners - Runner's World

I would also suggest to anyone who wants to go running to get a proper gait test at a running shop and buy the trainers that are best suited to them. This will help prevent the majority of injuries. Over the years my gait has changed, and I have had injuries by using the model of footwear that were perfect for me 12 months earlier.

I believe fueling is over hyped and not necessary for the majority of runs. You body will have enough stored for anything up to 120 minutes of running. I always like to eat about an hour before a long run, but it is as much mental as an actual necessity. Same will gels and sports drinks.

Edit: I am really into my running, but I also know I am quite anal about it, so apologies if I come across as preachy or condescending.

I am getting right into it now, just gutted I have a four day holiday breaking my progress up, starting to fly around my route now. I am even tempted to eat relatively healthy on my trip with the girlfriend.

Take you running shoes with you. One of the great things about running is you can do it anywhere.

Take you running shoes with you. One of the great things about running is you can do it anywhere.

I am only away for 4 days, so I will take the time to enjoy the sights and get plenty of walking in, but I agree with the point you made.

I had a look at your beginners schedule and find myself far ahead of that but still needing to get some sort of structure. What do you suggest?

I am only away for 4 days, so I will take the time to enjoy the sights and get plenty of walking in, but I agree with the point you made.

I had a look at your beginners schedule and find myself far ahead of that but still needing to get some sort of structure. What do you suggest?

There are lots of different schedules on Runners World web site. It all depends on how you want to focus.

It you are currently running 3 times a week, for approx 40 mins each time;

I would simply suggest reducing the time on one run to 30 mins and increasing the time on another to 45/50. Do this for a couple of weeks then once the body adjusts increase the effort/pace middle 20 min of the 30 min run.

If you are running to lose weight you need to spend time on your feet, so slow the longer (50 mins) run down and try and increase the time running as opposed to the distance.

On a simple week I would run four times and only one of them would contain any sort of speed running.

Tempo run

Medium long

Very, very easy shorter run

Weekend long run.

This is more than enough to keep fitness and maintain weight. 35 miles a week is a number that is often quoted to lose a pound of weight.

Any increase in speed increases the injury risk. So only do it gradually and give each increase a couple of weeks before stepping up.

There are also lots of decent books out there.

Lore of Running is a brilliant reference book for anyone who has an interest.

• 2 weeks later...

3 miles tonight, which is the furthest I've run in 2 years. Knee is holding up really well (fingers crossed), I'm really enjoying it and a couple of people at work today said I'd lost weight, which I have, at a rate of 2 pounds per week. I'm just going to keep doing what I'm doing but if this carries on it's becoming a certainty that I'll do the York 10k in August.

Winning.