You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rodolfo Borrell

HBenn

Looking at the widely reported shortlist, you would think that the chances of getting Guardiola or Capello are extremely low and Klopp is supposedely very happy in Germany.

That leaves Rodgers, De Boer, Martinez, Villa Boas or Deschamps. Personally not keen on Deschamps as he sounds like he is not doing a great job where he is. De Boer may be good but it has to be said that Villa Boas, Martinez and Rodgers would definetly be big gambles.

If we are going to go down the route of interviewing relatively unproven managers, I think that they should talk to Borrell as well. On the negatives he has no experience at the top level but then really Rodgers has had good one season and Martinez has two.

On the plus, Borrell knows the club well and knows what the fans demand, all the youth players and plays a good style of football. He is very passionate and all the players he has coached speak very highly of him and say he is very demanding. It sounds like Segura will be one of the technical directors and he has worked with him as well and I think he would fit into the new structure quite well.

Just think if we cannot get a really good proven manager and are going down to go down the unproven route then he should at least be considered

Massive gamble, probably not this time around...but could cetainly be groomed by a Director of Football or Managing Director for a future managers position.

Dont get me wrong i think he would work and looks like he fits FSG's profile but probably not for this present day

This was mentioned here before and its a good shout

Massive gamble, probably not this time around...but could cetainly be groomed by a Director of Football or Managing Director for a future managers position.

Dont get me wrong i think he would work and looks like he fits FSG's profile but probably not for this present day

This was mentioned here before and its a good shout

Why dont we ask the girl on reception she knows the culb well,all these names of unproven or second rate managers is a load of bollocks,get a top name that befits the most succesfull club in english football.

Not a bad shout, and we could certainly appoint worse(!!)

Aside from the unproven aspect though, would promoting him up have a detrimental effect on the running of academy/youth system? Suppose it wouldn't if we could find the right replacement.

Thinking about it, I'd take him over any of the British candidates mooted, far from my first choice though.

Why dont we ask the girl on reception she knows the culb well,all these names of unproven or second rate managers is a load of bollocks,get a top name that befits the most succesfull club in english football.

Agreed. Fuck off with this 'trying a new manager out at a massive club' bollocks. A world class manager with winning experience. Nothing else is remotely close to acceptable.

Because that's what Barcelona have done when appointing their last three managers and is why they're one of the best teams in the world...

Sometimes you have to think outside the box a bit and take off the blinkers. Not saying Borrell is the answer, but surely you can't completely ignore him as a candidate, for God's sake, are we not club who nearly invented the 'promote from within' philosophy back in the day with the likes of Paisley and Fagan...ever heard of the boot-room?

Because that's what Barcelona have done when appointing their last three managers and is why they're one of the best teams in the world...

Sometimes you have to think outside the box a bit and take off the blinkers. Not saying Borrell is the answer, but surely you can't completely ignore him as a candidate, for God's sake, are we not club who nearly invented the 'promote from within' philosophy back in the day with the likes of Paisley and Fagan...ever heard of the boot-room?

Barca have a massively influential DoF system in place that makes promoting from within feasible. It's a bit like when we had the boot-room. There's a support structure, philosophy etc that just does not exist here and now. To throw someone into the deep-end without that backroom support would be condemning the guy to fail.

Barca have a massively influential DoF system in place that makes promoting from within feasible. It's a bit like when we had the boot-room. There's a support structure, philosophy etc that just does not exist here and now. To throw someone into the deep-end without that backroom support would be condemning the guy to fail.

I understand all this. The point I was making was that he shouldn't be compared to the tea lady, that's extremely disrespectful to a guy who's doing an excellent job at the club. There's no reason why he shouldn't be considered. Personally I don't think it would be the right appointment right now, but there's no need to go slating the guy or somebody for thinking outside the box and suggesting him as a potential candidate.

Sadly football has moved on from the great boot room days,so with the influx of money, new stadiums and instant success plus Champions league a must if you want LFC at the toip where we all do a top manager is what we need and is what should be delivered.

A very wise post.