You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Go fuck yourselves FSG

Neil G

2 hours ago, magicrat said:

Of course self interest plays a massive part in all this . I think the question is whether that self interest also coincides with the greater good of the game here.

Given the way the Sky cash and Russian money laundering has distorted the PL over the few decades any attempt to prevent Saudi Arabia buying up clubs and poaching players with eye watering offers is to be welcomed 

The sad thing is pretty much all club ownership (certainly in this country) is far from ideal. And for me if our owners suddenly want to stop sovereign ownership, it's because they think there's something in it for them. You're right, sometimes they'll make a decision to line their own pockets which happens to be for the good of the game. But the point is that's never the reason they make it. Because they don't care, as Tom Hicks told us many years ago, we're no different to Weetabix to these people. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I totally agree. The problem is the low bar now set due to the ownership in football over the last couple of decades. Not just in the PL either. While I have always thought 90+ pro clubs in one country is way too many anyhow the demise of lower clubs such as Bury and the ownership circuses around other Football League clubs saddens me deeply. Tribalism aside,I am a football fan and it's the game I love.

Ah that's where we differ. I'd happily see Everton and United go to the wall. And I don't watch any football except our games nowadays. Load of shit.

• 2 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, Harry Squatter said:

£35m per year for 3 commercial deals in a couple of months is impressive. 

He doesn't say per year, I'd guess that that's the total contract value of all 3 combined over the duration of the contracts. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/09/2023 at 12:59, TheRedMachine said:

Ah that's where we differ. I'd happily see Everton and United go to the wall. And I don't watch any football except our games nowadays. Load of shit.

Well without the likes of Everton,United or whoever,there'd be no Liverpool either. I too,only watch Liverpool now but we need well run clubs for the game to prosper. But to me 'well run' is not through immoral and filthy lucre it's by being part of and contributing to the game as a whole for the benefit of your fans and wider community. A European Super League is not the answer because the current one stinks,it's a whole new outlook needed.