You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No real surprise like everyone is making it out to be. Marquez was robbed the last time they fought.

I think Marquez has won 3 out of the 4 fights.

There is no one in the world in Mayweather's league, an all time great and easily the best of this era by some distance. Sorry to talk about him when others fought tonight but I feel it just underlines the gulf in class

I think Andre Ward is proving to be exceptional. He fights everyone and beats everyone with relative ease.

Has anybody come across the Crolla fight from Friday? It was meant to be very good and I can't find it anywhere. Knew shit like this would start happening when Sky handed over all their coverage to Hearn. Ridiculous.

Interesting fight from last night. Jennings is probably the best American heavyweight prospect and makes for some fairly exciting fights:

[YOUTUBE]4aENx56qG54[/YOUTUBE]

It wasn't on BN it was on Coldwell TV which is a new free iPad/iPhone/Android app.

Mayweather is great but due to his stupid fucking ego and lack of bravery, Marquez got all the glory that Mayweather should of had. What's the point now? If they fight and Mayweather KO's Manny then everybody will just say he was completely past it anyway.

Fuck boxing, I love the sport but this shouldn't be allowed to happen, we should of had this fight in 2009/2010. As always the fans have been shit on and we'll continue to be shit on because we're like a loyal domestic violence victims.

We get treated like shit and beaten up, but we always forgive boxing. We'll always come back. Boxing fans are too loyal and our loyalty is rewarded with being shit on.

Been working stupid hours all weekend so i only got to see it yesterday afternoon but wow what a fight.

When I heard the result and i thought Manny was going to be very poor again but he wasn't at all. He was back to his old self with the quick hands and movement and he looked like he was on his way to stopping Marquez until that wonder punch.

Absolutley delighted for Marquez though, what a warrior he was in there and yet again he showed why he always had the measure of Manny, he was always too smart for him.

The knockdown in the 3rd is one of my favorite moments in boxing, the way he set it up against a World class fighter was amazing. I think he landed about 3 or 4 great left hooks to Mannys body and just as Manny was coming forward Marquez feinted to throw another one, Manny went to block it and then Marquez switched it to that big overhand right which landed clean on Manny, a fucking brilliant shot which changed the whole fight.

The K.O was as dramatic as you'll ever see, right on the bell and it knocked him clean out. I think the impact was doubled as Manny ran right onto it as it wasn't a big swing by Marquez, it was just so clean.

Where does Manny go from here i don't know, i can't see him retiring from boxing like that, he's too proud and the people of Philipines would have been devastated watching that so maybe 1 or 2 last fights from him.

Marquez just made himself a huge superstar to the general public even though he's one of the great boxers anyway. Maybe a fight against Bradley next for his title.

Fights like that show why it's a brilliant sport, we go through a lot of shite for moments like that but by fuck is it worth it!

It always has been.

While I'm not in the Jones camp(right time,right place,right weight),the yanks always have had the best fighters.

1900/1920 Jack Johnson,Sam Langford

1920/45 joe Louis,Henry Armstrong,Sugar Ray Robinson,

1945/60,Willie Pep,Tony Zale,Rocky Marciano,Ezzard Charles.

1960/75 Liston,Ali,Frazier,Paterson,

How many fighters from outside the US get on the list pre 70's?

Emile Griffith,José Nápoles,Dick Tiger

75 onwards everyone knows the big names

And the Mexicans start appearing on the scene in bigger numbers.The Cubans and Soviets may have been able to compete had they been able to fight professional.

Boxing greats generally come from poor/disadvantaged backgrounds and it didn't come much poorer than Black Americans.The money was better than other sports and no colour bar led to many black Americans boxing.More money and opportunities in the NBA/NFL now,especially as the players get a college scholarship to go with it before turning pro.The same issue has effected fast bowlers in the carribean according to some.They say there is more money in basketball and at 6'5+ they are built for other sports.

It always has been.

While I'm not in the Jones camp(right time,right place,right weight),the yanks always have had the best fighters.

And the Mexicans start appearing on the scene in bigger numbers.The Cubans and Soviets may have been able to compete had they been able to fight professional.

Boxing greats generally come from poor/disadvantaged backgrounds and it didn't come much poorer than Black Americans.The money was better than other sports and no colour bar led to many black Americans boxing.More money and opportunities in the NBA/NFL now,especially as the players get a college scholarship to go with it before turning pro.The same issue has effected fast bowlers in the carribean according to some.They say there is more money in basketball and at 6'5+ they are built for other sports.

Spot on. Curtly Ambrose wanted to play basketball but there were no facilities when he was a youngster. How many matches would the WIndies have lost without him? I know the Aussies would've been happier!

I quite like Degale. Super middleweight is jam packed with legitimate talent, though. A world title may be just beyond him.

Ricky Burns opponent has pulled out of Saturday as his trainer has died. They're saying that Burns is still fighting though. There were also reports on Saturday that Broner-Burns is essentially made for February in the U.S.

It always has been.

Although RJJ didn't get to fight that many greats he was completely dominant for a long time, losing very few rounds and dong so with panache, power and a fresh unusual style. You may feel his legacy was tainted by him fighting on too long but I don't see it that way. Would be interested to see how others rated Jones and if anyone thinks he could have been touched when at his prime?

Since the furore over Pacquaio and drugs testing' date='caused by Mayweather,he has lost two fights running.

A coincidence or not ?[/quote']

More to do with a man that boxing isn't his number 1 priority anymore IMO.

IMO his political career became more important.