You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Michael Fassbender was excellent as the android, no wonder he's so in demand these days.

Agree on the 3D, completely pointless, the only other film I've seen in 3D was Avatar and despite it being a pretty shit film, the 3D made it something remarkable, but it added nothing to this film at all.

The Spiderman trailer was class, looks like it may even give the new Batman film a run for its money.

• Replies 434
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Props to Charlize Theron for having such a spectacular arse too.

Warning! The following content is NOT WORK SAFE. Click the Show button to reveal.

And possibly the worst, most ill-conceived death scene in cinema given the Director and calibre of film.

Not seen this yet, going to see it tomorrow, but interesting Mark Kermode comments on the BBC at the moment, saying he thinks some of the middling reviews are down to the fact people are expecting an alien film when in fact it's got more in common with things like Blade Runner, Star Trek etc. He makes reference to the dialogue, with alien being 'gritty', truckers in space 'when are we getting paid' style normal dialogue, wheras this is asking the big questions. Fair comment?

I suppose so. You'll probably like it as a fan of sci-fi. It is a good film, certainly

Enjoy

That was all a bit odd.

Warning! The following content is NOT WORK SAFE. Click the Show button to reveal.

Black Ooze - Turns into little worms.

Little worms - Turn into giant infectious cock monster

Infected Men - Turned into some sort of Hector Hammond rage monster.

Infected Woman - give birth to the squid baby from MiB which turns into a giant face hugger.

Space Jockey - Gestates a retro Alien with a conehead despite being genetically identical to Humans.

Exactly! All over the place isn't it?

A solid 7 from me. I think I'm over indexing against most who have seen it but each to their own. Admittedly having waited months and months to see it I was hoping to score it a 9 but it wasn't the mindblowing piece I thought it might be.

I avoid 3D like the plague and have only seen one film - Alice in Wonderland - in 3D so it's still an unusual concept to me and I quite enjoyed it. Probably would have preferred it in 2D though.

Agree with Funkasy about what were the original aliens runnng from and what happened to whatever it was.

All it seems to do is set up for another two films and some will have faith on ridley for delivering on it, some wont.

Let's face it, most on here won't as they enjoy moaning too much. It's a perfectly respectable scifi film but for most people on here unless it's a fucking masterpiece of '2001' proportions it's not good enough.

Let's face it, most on here won't as they enjoy moaning too much. It's a perfectly respectable scifi film but for most people on here unless it's a fucking masterpiece of '2001' proportions it's not good enough.

A man/cat gotta have standards Lurtyz.

You might be too late, Chris M hasn't been seen since it's been released.

Ha!

Went to see it yesterday evening, I cant remember ever being so disappointed by a film. I'll put my thoughts in tags so as not too spoil it for anyone yet to see it.

Firstly, the good points.

Visually it is absolutely amazing. It is simply jaw-dropping to look at, it is shot beautifully and the set designs are out of this world (obv). It is a visual masterpiece. Even having a dislike of 3D to almost Kermodian levels in this instance I thought that that too worked really well and helped to provide quite an immersive experience.

Ok, the bad points.

Virtually everything else.

In the main, with the exceptions of Fassbender and Elba (who were fantastic as always) I thought the acting from the lead characters was quite poor, even from Rapace and Theron. This can probably be explained by the piss poor script which featured some truly appalling dialogue ('I'm here to make money, not friends", "I like rocks" and "this ship cost one trillion dollars"!)

The plot was also all over the place, with gaping holes, inconsistencies and lazy plot devices (for example, the holograms - yes, they looked cool, but only served a purpose for moving the story on. On their own they made no sense. Why were they recorded? Why could they be played from a carving in a corridor?) Why was there a breathable atmosphere in the temple? Presumably for the Engineers to breathe? So how did he get from the crashed derelict to the lifeboat? What caused the ampules to leak? The murals to change? A booby trap? Thats fine, but explain it. I'm not one that wants every single thing that happens in a film explaining to me, but I expect more than a load of random events and plot devices squished unceremoniously into a muddled narrative. Characters come and go. People get offed with very little consequence - Fifield's rampage is never mentioned from the second it ends, it is never wondered what happened to him back in the temple. Rapace is going to be put into cryosleep for the journey home, but she instead attacks two crew members and performs a self-cesarean of an alien creature and it is never mentioned again. The alien creature is completely forgotten about until it is needed in the final act. If David's agenda was to find a living Engineer for Weyland, why did he spike Holloway's drink? I could go on and on. And on. The whole thing was a fucking mess.

The creature design was terrible, although I did quite like the 'Hammerpede' - the arm-breaking face-fucking snake thing.

The score ruined any sense of tension, of which there was about 10 seconds of.

The end was shit. One simple question, what is she planning on eating on her new voyage across the stars? And the 'proto-alien' born of the Engineer at the end looked shit and again was a lazy gimmick.

I'm placing most of the blame for this fuck up at the feet of Damon Lindelof, the Lost-writing cunt. Stuff happens for no reason, is never explained, and is immediately forgotten. I am reliably informed that this was the same problem with Lost. Bald cunt.

I know they said all along they wanted to leave you with some unanswered questions, but the whole fucking film made no sense and was never explained.

I can't help but think that this would have been a better film if it was completely stand-alone. The 'alien-dna' seemed shoe-horned in - the parasitic nature of the creatures, the derelict etc - and only helped to make the plot more baffling.

I didn't want this film to be a traditional Alien film, and I certainly didn't want the 'xenomorph' to be in it. I was more than happy for it to be an original film, but in the end it was neither, and it was a fucking mess.

Cunts.

Michael Fassbender was excellent as the android, no wonder he's so in demand these days.

Agree on the 3D, completely pointless, the only other film I've seen in 3D was Avatar and despite it being a pretty shit film, the 3D made it something remarkable, but it added nothing to this film at all.

The Spiderman trailer was class, looks like it may even give the new Batman film a run for its money.

No, no, no...

A man/cat gotta have standards Lurtyz.

Seems I'm the only person oin the planet who enjoyed it then. Either that or the only person on the planet who can't be bothered to compose a 500 word assassination of it.

It's just a scifi film people. It's supposed to be entertaining, escapism. Not bloody life defining. The outpouring of devestation by some people is like the Steve Jobs thread and just as cringeworthy.

It wasn't as good as perhaps I thought it might have been but nobody's ripped out my spleen or raped my cat. Chill the fuck out people.

Seems I'm the only person oin the planet who enjoyed it then. Either that or the only person on the planet who can't be bothered to compose a 500 word assassination of it.

It's just a scifi film people. It's supposed to be entertaining, escapism. Not bloody life defining. The outpouring of devestation by some people is like the Steve Jobs thread and just as cringeworthy.

It wasn't as good as perhaps I thought it might have been but nobody's ripped out my spleen or raped my cat. Chill the fuck out people.

I think the point is it just failed as any kind of competent film making, the story is incoherent, it fails to illicit any emotion and it's unoriginal.

These days people want more for their money.

Going to watch this in 2D tomorrow. Going in with an open mind despite some of the reviews on here. Also, don't think i've ever seen The Dark Knight getting slated on here, could be wrong.

One.

One film in 4 1/2 years.

About a character from a comic.

One.

One film in 4 1/2 years.

About a character from a comic.

Yeah fair point. When i see a film i love getting slagged i tend to ignore it, opinions and all that. It's difficult sometimes. Always makes me smile on the rate thread when someone gives a film a brilliant write up, then awards it an 8/10.