You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Racism in football - is there a problem?

theacademic

15 hours ago, Vincent Vega said:

Blue nose mate just sent me this unsurprisingly. The state of the twat though. 

I play 5 a side with a Bloo who’ll search out and repost anything he can that sheds a bad light on us but do it in a snidey way where he won’t mention us but just talk about people being a disgrace in broader terms. 
He doesn’t seem to do it that much when there are negative stories floating round about them though. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Geoff Woade said:

I play 5 a side with a Bloo who’ll search out and repost anything he can that sheds a bad light on us but do it in a snidey way where he won’t mention us but just talk about people being a disgrace in broader terms. 
He doesn’t seem to do it that much when there are negative stories floating round about them though. 

I hope Orville twats him for stealing his fur.

• 4 weeks later...

Our former Academy goalkeeper Shamal George has had some racist shit flung at him during a match for Colchester at Barrow.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58529258

Shamal George: Colchester United keeper allegedly racially abused during Barrow game

Colchester boss Hayden Mullins says it is "sickening" that U's goalkeeper Shamal George was allegedly racially abused during their match at Barrow.

The alleged incident occurred during the first half of Friday's League Two game, which Colchester won 3-2.

"It is embarrassing to think we are in this day and age and that is still going on," Mullins told BBC Essex.

Barrow said the club would investigate and take "the strongest action possible" against any guilty parties.

"The club would like to make it absolutely clear that we abhor discrimination in all its forms," a statement on their website read.

"[We] will take the strongest action possible, including pursuing life bans, for anyone found guilty of racism."

The Cumbrians have called for any fans who witnessed any discriminatory abuse to help identify the perpetrators.

Mullins spoke about the incident involving George during his post-match interview with BBC Essex.

"I've heard at half-time he has been racially abused and it's not nice what has been said - especially after we took the knee at the beginning and that was applauded," Mullins said.

"We're in 2021 and we should be moving on from that. It's sickening really."

Mullins praised the 23-year-old, who joined Colchester from Liverpool in August 2020, for his reaction to the incident.

"It's strange that you come away from home and there is not much in the game and then they feel they can racially abuse someone for just being on the opposition team," Mullins said.

"The pleasing thing for me is that Sham did the right thing, reported it and then got his head back in the game.

"Hopefully it gets dealt with and the person gets the reprimand they deserve."

Colchester United added on Twitter: "We do not accept racism, or any form of discrimination in the game, or in wider society.

"We stand with you Shamal."

• 2 weeks later...

Marcos Alonso - talking to the media, before talking to any of his teammates who have suffered racist abuse - has decided that taking the knee is too much faff.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11661/12413223/marcos-alonso-chelsea-defender-to-stop-taking-knee-after-claiming-anti-racism-gesture-is-losing-strength?s=09

7 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Marcos Alonso - talking to the media, before talking to any of his teammates who have suffered racist abuse - has decided that taking the knee is too much faff.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11661/12413223/marcos-alonso-chelsea-defender-to-stop-taking-knee-after-claiming-anti-racism-gesture-is-losing-strength?s=09

Horrible cunt him. Obviously thinks that he's above all this and it doesn't apply to him - much the same as punishments for drink driving.

• 3 weeks later...

Uefa matches have not been monitored for racism this season as the governing body has not yet agreed a deal with the organisation that supplies the service.

The Football Against Racism (Fare) network told BBC Sport it would normally have attended 80 "high-risk" games by this stage.

Both sides are confident a deal will be reached, but the lack of monitors is alarming and embarrassing for Uefa.

The body's treatment of racist incidents has been questioned recently.

Kalidou Koulibaly and Napoli team-mate Victor Osimhen detailed on social media the racist abuse they received during Sunday's 2-1 win at the Florence club.

Andre-Frank Zambo Anguissa, on loan at Napoli from Fulham, was also reportedly targeted by home fans.

"We need laws and rules that are applied," said Chiellini, 37.

"I was ashamed, as an Italian and a Tuscan, also because Italy is not a racist country for me."

• 3 weeks later...

Following an "explosion" of online hate crime during Euro 2020, National Police Chiefs Council's football lead Mark Roberts wrote to the 92 professional clubs in England and Wales ahead of the 2021-22 season, offering for police officers to visit training grounds to meet players and discuss online racist abuse, and how authorities could work with them to deal with it.

To date, only 11 out of the 92 have allowed the police to visit, of which none play in the Premier League.

"You can't turn on a sports channel without someone saying they're committed to tackling racism, saying 'We're all in this together. We all stand united.' So it was disappointing when there was a lack of response. I was hopeful it was something clubs would jump on, in briefing their players."

2 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

Following an "explosion" of online hate crime during Euro 2020, National Police Chiefs Council's football lead Mark Roberts wrote to the 92 professional clubs in England and Wales ahead of the 2021-22 season, offering for police officers to visit training grounds to meet players and discuss online racist abuse, and how authorities could work with them to deal with it.

To date, only 11 out of the 92 have allowed the police to visit, of which none play in the Premier League.

"You can't turn on a sports channel without someone saying they're committed to tackling racism, saying 'We're all in this together. We all stand united.' So it was disappointing when there was a lack of response. I was hopeful it was something clubs would jump on, in briefing their players."

I would have thought if you wanted to keep racist abuse out of your football club, then barring the police would be a good start.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Chelsea goalkeeper Edouard Mendy has criticised media outlets for mistakenly using his image in stories about Manchester City's Benjamin Mendy.

City and France full-back Benjamin Mendy has been charged with six counts of rape and one of sexual assault, and remains in custody.

Photos of Edouard Mendy and his cousin, Real Madrid's Ferland Mendy, have been used to illustrate articles.

51 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Chelsea goalkeeper Edouard Mendy has criticised media outlets for mistakenly using his image in stories about Manchester City's Benjamin Mendy.

City and France full-back Benjamin Mendy has been charged with six counts of rape and one of sexual assault, and remains in custody.

Photos of Edouard Mendy and his cousin, Real Madrid's Ferland Mendy, have been used to illustrate articles.

Maybe should have gone in the "Things you probably shouldn't laugh at" thread

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Yeah,its hilarious being falsely identified for being a multiple rapist.

Welcome to the internet, sir. I hope you enjoy your stay. 

Congratulations on working out the entire purpose of the "Things you probably shouldn't laugh at" thread.