You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Racism in football - is there a problem?

theacademic

I dont agree with a point deduction it punishes decent fans and also the players who have worked hard for those points and then some racist shit gets to diminish your chances of success. Name and shame the fuckers who do it and prosecute them, this isn't an issue for football to deal with its for the law to deal with it. All the clubs can do is life time bans.

1 hour ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

I dont agree with a point deduction it punishes decent fans and also the players who have worked hard for those points and then some racist shit gets to diminish your chances of success. Name and shame the fuckers who do it and prosecute them, this isn't an issue for football to deal with its for the law to deal with it. All the clubs can do is life time bans.

Agree with this except the clubs also need to make sure they have sufficient stewards even if that means an increase over the number needed just for safety issues. 

1 minute ago, aws said:

Agree with this except the clubs also need to make sure they have sufficient stewards even if that means an increase over the number needed just for safety issues. 

Not really though -- the fella at the City game was picked put by cameras and they had him out minutes later right?

The whole ground is under surveillance. On these occasions it should be the police involved anyway.

2 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Not really though -- the fella at the City game was picked put by cameras and they had him out minutes later right?

The whole ground is under surveillance. On these occasions it should be the police involved anyway.

But in practice the police don't often go in, do they? The stewards are visible and on the spot and the clubs should make sure there are enough to deal with the problem.  We're not talking about corralling a terrace of racists just dragging out a mouthy weirdo. 

1 hour ago, aws said:

But in practice the police don't often go in, do they? The stewards are visible and on the spot and the clubs should make sure there are enough to deal with the problem.  We're not talking about corralling a terrace of racists just dragging out a mouthy weirdo. 

It doesn't matter how many stewards there are, if someone down the middle of a row is racist, he won't get him. The way to do it is fans stepping up and doing some self policing. Where does it end, a chaperone for each fan? 

Guest Pistonbroke
2 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

I know he denied it. I can't remember the excuse now, but it was something stupid like he was fixing his coat or heard tunes from jungle book and just joined in or something. 

Last thing I read about it was that he was released on bail pending an enquiry. Just wondered if any further action had been taken. 

11 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

Last thing I read about it was that he was released on bail pending an enquiry. Just wondered if any further action had been taken. 

Its a weird one because we all know what he was intending but he kind of stopped really quick and could probably get away with a decent lawyer. The fucking fat racist prick. 

Guest Pistonbroke
1 minute ago, Bjornebye said:

Its a weird one because we all know what he was intending but he kind of stopped really quick and could probably get away with a decent lawyer. The fucking fat racist prick. 

True. 

3 hours ago, Barry Wom said:

It doesn't matter how many stewards there are, if someone down the middle of a row is racist, he won't get him. The way to do it is fans stepping up and doing some self policing. Where does it end, a chaperone for each fan? 

20 years ago maybe somebody would have stepped up.  Can't see it happening now.  But it does require somebody to report the abuser and that has to be to the stewards.  You wouldn't need loads more stewards -just half a dozen or so per stand who'd be happy to step in and physically 'handle" these nutters and hand them on to the police.

Not ideal but I can't think of any other practical solution. If they're not dragging these people out then we're going to end up with walk-offs and complete chaos at games.  

17 minutes ago, aws said:

20 years ago maybe somebody would have stepped up.  Can't see it happening now.  But it does require somebody to report the abuser and that has to be to the stewards.  You wouldn't need loads more stewards -just half a dozen or so per stand who'd be happy to step in and physically 'handle" these nutters and hand them on to the police.

Not ideal but I can't think of any other practical solution. If they're not dragging these people out then we're going to end up with walk-offs and complete chaos at games.  

Personally I think there's enough stewards. You can't get in and out for them. 

12 hours ago, No2 said:

I'm uncomfortable with taking teams off the pitch because of the actions of one person. Taking yesterday as an example, if someone has racially abused a player they will he caught and punished accordingly. Walking off or abandoning the game won't change anything, I don't see how it will affect behaviour going forward, these people are generally not the type that learn from mistakes.

Was it Oldham at home where one of their lads cried wolf and it turned out he was mistaken? 

FIFA don't do many things right but the 3 strike rule for racism seems a sensible approach. 

In fairness to Tom Adeyemi, he didn't "cry wolf" - he genuinely thought he had heard racist abuse. Mind you, he was probably half expecting it, because at that time cunts everywhere were pretending that Anfield was worse than 1920s Alabama.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Phone signals completely disappear in footy grounds. I think there’s some weird Harry Potter type shit going on but it could just be because my contract is with 3. 

3 is shite. I am dual SIM and use 3 most of the time but in the ground always flip to my Vodafone . The clubs should up their game and provide decent WiFi, they've been promising it for years. 

• Upvote 1