You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

23 minutes ago, sir roger said:

I'm amazed how long he has clung to to his place , every time I watch him bowl he is getting smashed all over the shop.

Me too he bowls  a good variety of balls to whack though. I can’t take to Billings at all he looks like he should be commanding a WWII Panzer or flying Thunderbird 1.

The answer to England's shite test batting is clear - pack every young cricket off to the Windies for a few years, and when they come back get Ricky Ponting to coach them:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/60239953

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phil_Salt

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/cricket/ashes-england-australia-ponting-green-25979240

16 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

Any truth to the rumours the players forced him out? 

The Guardian said he wasn't popular with a small group of players and officials.To be fair Langer has admitted he is not an easy character to get along with , but the results are very good when you remember how it was in Aussie cricket when he took on the role.

20 minutes ago, sir roger said:

The Guardian said he wasn't popular with a small group of players and officials.To be fair Langer has admitted he is not an easy character to get along with , but the results are very good when you remember how it was in Aussie cricket when he took on the role.

And I bet you can guess at least 2 of those players. 

9 hours ago, lifetime fan said:

Any truth to the rumours the players forced him out? 

There have been rumours of problems with the players since before the Ashes.

There has always been a smart-arse faction in Australian Cricket - led by the likes of Ian Chappell and Shane Warne - that think coaches are "unnecessary".

I suspect Cricket Australia - who never have anyone's back - probably never had his back either.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, s(k)aturation said:

There have been rumours of problems with the players since before the Ashes.

There has always been a smart-arse faction in Australian Cricket - led by the likes of Ian Chappell and Shane Warne - that think coaches are "unnecessary".

I suspect Cricket Australia - who never have anyone's back - probably never had his back either.

When I was watching Warne was very loudly banging the drum for Langer to stay on as coach.

It looks like Pat Cummins refusing to endorse him this week was the final straw.

Have to say I have to cop to being a smart-arse as I don’t really see the big deal with an international cricket coach. Half the time they don’t even pick the team. The team manager handles all the admin. The captain handles the tactics. And the players should not need totally retraining in technique if they are good enough to be picked for test cricket.

They basically need to just offer a bit of advice every now and again when needed.

7 minutes ago, Brownie said:

I don't understand that decision at all. From what I saw, they both bowled quite well in Australia. Yes, at some point England need to move on from them but it's not their fault that they're still better than the other players they are competing with.

I understand Anderson not playing. I wouldn't pick him for any away games now. I'd have him fresh to play the whole summer at home. 

Broad should definitely go though. 

I am sure life would be easier if they just started picking the best side / squad they have. Revolutionary I know,

On a separate point , I feel a bit sorry for Broad who is always dragged into a pair with Jimmy when they are discussed re retirement etc , but Stuart is 4 years younger.

3 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

I understand Anderson not playing. I wouldn't pick him for any away games now. I'd have him fresh to play the whole summer at home. 

Broad should definitely go though. 

I'm not sure freshness comes into it though, he still looks incredibly fit. His average in the West Indies is on a par with his average at home, as well.