You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

In my opinion it's because the ECB screwed up big time when we were number 1 and didn't slowly bring new talent through and phase out others.

And Cook is a shit captain. My choice to replace him would be Ravi Bopara. Got it all that kid, not unattractive either.

Fair enough, mate.

• Upvote 1

The rot set in long before we went to shit - the batting has been held together with string for quite a while now. Unless someone makes a big score, we're all out for 200-odd - that might sound obvious, but we've been utterly reliant on a single player in ridiculous form every series for about 3 years - if not longer. But there was too much back-patting, too much self-congratulation about "the end of the rotating selection policy of the 90s" and showing loyalty through poor form. There's a complacency that's worked it's way through the entire squad and has led to this group being some of the most whinging and whining cricketers you'll ever see.

It's pretty obvious that a change in captaincy is needed - Cook wears the face of a man utterly bereft of any kind of hope that he's going to turn it around but he's too proud to chuck it in and have to carry the tag of quitter for the rest of his career. His replacement would have to come from outside the squad - perhaps Eoin Morgan would lead with a different mindset and instill a different mentality on the squad. It's far too lateral for the ECB though, and in fairness I don't know who'd make way as a batsman: there's a few younger players been blooded recently and I don't know if any of them deserve to be dropped and crushed.

And with that, out goes Bell. Kudos to India for showing us how to bowl on a greentop. You'd think we'd never seen one before.

• Upvote 3

Guest Pistonbroke

The rot set in long before we went to shit - the batting has been held together with string for quite a while now. Unless someone makes a big score, we're all out for 200-odd - that might sound obvious, but we've been utterly reliant on a single player in ridiculous form every series for about 3 years - if not longer. But there was too much back-patting, too much self-congratulation about "the end of the rotating selection policy of the 90s" and showing loyalty through poor form. There's a complacency that's worked it's way through the entire squad and has led to this group being some of the most whinging and whining cricketers you'll ever see.

It's pretty obvious that a change in captaincy is needed - Cook wears the face of a man utterly bereft of any kind of hope that he's going to turn it around but he's too proud to chuck it in and have to carry the tag of quitter for the rest of his career. His replacement would have to come from outside the squad - perhaps Eoin Morgan would lead with a different mindset and instill a different mentality on the squad. It's far too lateral for the ECB though, and in fairness I don't know who'd make way as a batsman: there's a few younger players been blooded recently and I don't know if any of them deserve to be dropped and crushed.

And with that, out goes Bell. Kudos to India for showing us how to bowl on a greentop. You'd think we'd never seen one before.

Good post and pretty much spot on. We have also lost key players to retirement/KP being a dick.

only thing I will disagree with is Eoin Morgan as captain....I don't think so. 

To be fair to Cook ( And I find that hard to do as I hate him !! ) he has been unlucky to an extent that he has taken over a team coming to the end of its pomp without having enough decent replacements coming through.

No matter how wimpy & negative he is, any team would suffer if they lost Swann, Monty, Pietersen & Trott at the same time for varying reasons and then had a complete loss of form from the 2 senior batsmen actually left. Even the decent supporting cast likes of Tremlett & Finn have fizzled out. 

Of the new guys, only Ballance ( and possibly Robson ) make me feel they could be special.

Of the new guys, only Ballance ( and possibly Robson ) make me feel they could be special.

I like Moeen Ali. I think he will improve as a bowler, but see him predominantly as a batsman. I think he's got great temperament. It's time for bigger changes for England, Buttler must come in, I think we should also bring in Lyth.

Thanks for the posts on the decline. I haven't been following things as much as I used to.

Is part of the issue the county game not having the same level of prestige (outwith the T20 series) that it used to?

I reckon the creation of a unvarying National side has lead to there being very few viable alternatives outside of it when things start to go bad. I think there needs to be a reasonable core of players who you can rely on (i.e. decent opening batsman, two upper order players who are going to get good runs, a solid wicket keeper, one good pace bowler with a capabale spinner) with the other 5/4 positions being more interchangable with form players. This also reduces the likelihood of cliques forming in the dressing room.

Guest Pistonbroke

Oxenford never struck me as a great umpire on the Australian domestic scene, having a horrible game so far. Looking forward to watch Ali bat, not seen much of him yet but heard good things.

He's been shit in both tests, probably shitting himself without the aid of DRS. 

Yes, you're right SB, I should have had Ali as a 'possible'.

I agree that we should be looking at the likes of Lyth but I don't think they can ditch Robson yet & chopping Cook would show them up for the numpties they are. Maybe squeeze him in at 3 ?

Yes, you're right SB, I should have had Ali as a 'possible'.

I agree that we should be looking at the likes of Lyth but I don't think they can ditch Robson yet & chopping Cook would show them up for the numpties they are. Maybe squeeze him in at 3 ?

Cook needs to be dropped for his own sake.

Very strange decision to send Plunkett in... I have no idea what they are thinking.

I like Moeen a lot, but he does suffer from these momentary brain farts. If he can make them a little less common he can go on to be an excellent test match batsman.

Guest Pistonbroke

Another good innings from Ballance, pity he was out to a shitty ball down the leg side. Ali did ok but as said previously, he is suspect to a lapse in concentration. We could still take a lead into the second innings, which is what we should be doing having won the toss, don't think it will be a decent enough lead though.