You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January Transfer window 2012

Megadrive Man

We need someone who won't piss about and wait until he can find a man in front of the goal to try hit with a pass only to hit the first defender possible.

In other words: We need a goalscoring midfielder/winger/striker. Or two. We need goalscorers. And preferably not British as they are too expensive and/or not good enough.

A so called poacher is not going to solve all our problems, we keep on talking about our chances but our midfield is failing to deliver big time, glad we have Gerrard back but we cant rely on him to pull us out of the shit time and time again, we saw the difference what a class midfielder can deliver in terms of accuracy and weight of pass, that would be my primary focus.

Shane Long will probably get a lot of rolled eyes around here but he seems an industrious little bugger who definitely has an eye for goal.

If we could get him on the cheap he'd be a good signing. But with Owlface being his current master we'd probably have to pay a ridiculously inflated fee. And I don't think it'd be a risk worth taking.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
We need good footballers. At the minute we have shit footballers like Carroll and Downing.

Downing is not a shit footballer. He works hard, has a decent cross, but clearly doesn't have any special talent. Downing is like Adam; an £8m player who is a good option for the squad. The problem arrises when we pay £20m for him and miss out on better players. People didn't want to admit it at the time, and some people don't even want to admit it now.

However, he's clearly not a shit footballer.

Guest ShoePiss
Downing is not a shit footballer. He works hard, has a decent cross, but clearly doesn't have any special talent. Downing is like Adam; an £8m player who is a good option for the squad. The problem arrises when we pay £20m for him and miss out on better players. People didn't want to admit it at the time, and some people don't even want to admit it now.

Agree, paying £18-20m for a left winger of his age and experience should get you a player that will slot in and be one of the better players in that position in the league. I can't remember what I thought at the time of the signing but I'd guess it would have been surprise at the amount, surely everyone thought it was over the odds? If they didn't then they have to now.

Downing could be a very good player with a bit of a mean streak and tenacity in my opinion, never going to happen though.

Agree, paying £18-20m for a left winger of his age and experience should get you a player that will slot in and be one of the better players in that position in the league. I can't remember what I thought at the time of the signing but I'd guess it would have been surprise at the amount, surely everyone thought it was over the odds? If they didn't then they have to now.

Downing could be a very good player with a bit of a mean streak and tenacity in my opinion, never going to happen though.

He has either got no bottle or no brain because he seems to have a great ability of putting himself in positions where Enrique either can't or wont pass to him, either way both those problems won't be coached out of him. There is a reason why our shite national team has been crying for a left winger for years and at 27 he hasn't claimed it

I feel compelled to confess I am one such person.

Both Downing and Adam are worth more than eight million, and it's ridiculous to suggest they are not.

They're worth what people are willing to pay for them. But neither of them is especially good. Adam has very obvious limitations as an athlete. I'm ever more convinced that Downing has a lot of ability but very little character. Also, he tends to be very flat-footed when he doesn't have the ball. That's why we've seen so many mix-ups with Enrique and, more recently (when he's been playing on the right), with Johnson and Henderson, I think. But this may be related to character/confidence issues...

The problem isn't so much the price, ridiculous though it was, its the fact he's first choice for us.

As you've said players like Adam and Downing should be squad players. Maybe Adam wouldn't be playing as much if Gerrard and Lucas were both fully fit.

No, it's not that he's first choice, being the problem... Our squad needed a Downing type player, really, but we need more wide options. Bellamy is good, but old, and likely to handle a lot of games. We need a real dynamic player out there to give teams a headache on both sides of the pitch, when paired with our good players.

No, it's not that he's first choice, being the problem... Our squad needed a Downing type player, really, but we need more wide options. Bellamy is good, but old, and likely to handle a lot of games. We need a real dynamic player out there to give teams a headache on both sides of the pitch, when paired with our good players.

We needed better wide players than Downing. If he was back up to someone really good, it would be less of a problem.

Team for remainder of season if no signings come in.

Pepe

Johnson Skrtel Agger Enrique

Gerrard Spearing Bellamy

Suarez Maxi

Carroll.

Carroll when he's been on, has had service from Adam and Downing niether of whom can regularly beat the first defender with a cross.

Its been pathetic. Gerrard showed em how to do it almost instantly yesterday when he came on. Play him on the right.

Get Gerrard on the right, bending them in and Carroll will score goals.

He's had nothing to work with.

Get the best team on the pitch. Put the kids on the bench.

Yes Suarez will be missing soon enough so we need to replace that spark somehow.

Henderson Downing Adam and Kuyt are not good enough to be playing for this club.

If a centre midfielder of some quality was available then I would go for him rather than spending bundles on a so called poacher, our passing and fluidity from central midfield is shocking, you seen the difference Stevie made in picking the proper ball at the proper time, short term he is going to make a huge difference, long term we know we cant rely on him 100% anymore.

Team for remainder of season if no signings come in.

Pepe

Johnson Skrtel Agger Enrique

Gerrard Spearing Bellamy

Suarez Maxi

Carroll.

Carroll when he's been on, has had service from Adam and Downing niether of whom can regularly beat the first defender with a cross.

Its been pathetic. Gerrard showed em how to do it almost instantly yesterday when he came on. Play him on the right.

Get Gerrard on the right, bending them in and Carroll will score goals.

He's had nothing to work with.

Get the best team on the pitch. Put the kids on the bench.

Yes Suarez will be missing soon enough so we need to replace that spark somehow.

Henderson Downing Adam and Kuyt are not good enough to be playing for this club.

Shut up prick

We needed better wide players than Downing. If he was back up to someone really good, it would be less of a problem.

I think the biggest problem is our lack of options really... Downing hasn't been nearly as bad as some forumites will scream about....

Things haven't gone well for him here: posts, misfirings, incompatabilities with Enrique, etc

However, bad games and such are amplified because there is no white knight on the bench to ride in to the rescue and save the day.

And, trying to put the blame on him would be silly as well, because everyone is misfiiring.

I think the biggest problem is our lack of options really... Downing hasn't been nearly as bad as some forumites will scream about....

Things haven't gone well for him here: posts, misfirings, incompatabilities with Enrique, etc

However, bad games and such are amplified because there is no white knight on the bench to ride in to the rescue and save the day.

And, trying to put the blame on him would be silly as well, because everyone is misfiiring.

he just needs to start expressing himself, watch him play for England and he is a completely different player and the country's best winger

Carlos Tevez!