You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

New HBO Series: Game of Thrones

Mr Nando

1 hour ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

Agree with almost every word of this.

As an action movie, it was a great hour and a half. As the climax of an epic 8-series journey, it was RIDICULOUSLY stupid IMO.

Is it worth pointing out that it isn't the climax of an 8 series journey? That it's just one early part that should be looked at as a whole, just as other battles were. 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

I just thought it was weird. The Night King dying just like that was anti-climactic. And it's not entirely the show-runners' fault but the battle was almost too daunting and spectacular.

I don't think they could create a realistic outcome with the sheer size of it. It's like the battle beyond the wall in season 7 where everyone should have obviously died but you have to really suspend disbelief. So many characters that survived realistically should have died, they were surrounded so many times. Not that it wasn't good, it was just kind of a head-scratcher.

Gary-Coleman-Confused-Gif-On-Diffrent-St

• Upvote 5

40 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Is it worth pointing out that it isn't the climax of an 8 series journey? That it's just one early part that should be looked at as a whole, just as other battles were. 

Pretty much is.  As far as the story that began with Waymar Royce out in the haunted forest goes, at least.

Just watched it, first impressions is that it was completely underwhelming for the most part. The plot armor reminded me of the the walking dead (not a good thing), and the dragon stuff was absurd from start to finish, along with Arya's ridiculous deus ex machina moment at the end. The first 20 minutes were decent, but apart from that feel like it was pretty shit.

Enjoyed it more second time around.  Not mad about the direction in places (but more the cinematography, it's too dark for far too much of it - maybe on my TV, but that's something you have to take into account when making TV), it does get incoherent in places, but not as much as my bleary eyes had it this morning.  Took in much more of the score this time around as well, which is very well done.

Spotted Tormund and Brienne clearly fine at the end as well.  They really did shit out of the ruthless deaths side of things.

Happy enough with the big dumb moments that made for effective moments (Dothraki being thrown away and Drogon not using his fire to free himself when mobbed). Could've been much more dramatic and impactful, but happy to wait and see what they make of the rest now.

A strange mix of exhilaration and disappointment.

It was an incredible episode of television but i was pissed off by the darkness and incoherence of the opening act (this was possibly done to convey the sense of madness and incoherence of battle but it still annoyed me)

Still, my wife and I both cheered when Arya did her thing with the knife. I did wish more major characters had been killed though

I’m just putting it on again. In a ‘live tweet’ fashion I’ll post my thoughts as it goes. Except, of course, I’ll do it in one post. I’m not that much of a cun... oh.

anyway...

Opens with a great single shot scene of the preparations for the war, and the reaction to the upcoming events by major characters. Characters that we’ve seen be brave as fuck, and face big challenges, are clearly terrified of what’s to come. This builds tension for me, and is well directed, edited, staged, written, and performed. 

Note. I’m watching this in the dark. Absolutely no issue seeing anything. Even if it is clearly night time. Atmospheric as fuck. 

The shots of the Unsullied, Sothraki, Wildings and others all in battle formation with pulsating beat looks and sounds fucking great. Not a single word has been spoke yet. 

A big big shot of winterfell  is stunning. Then a look out into the black, facing the unknown, unseen enemy that is coming to attack in the dead of night. Chilling. 

The Red Woman rides up to the Dothraki and as Ser Jorah to tell them to raise their swords. She uses the Lord of Light to set their blades on fire. Amazing cinematic scene of the swords catching ablaze. Lights up the scene, left to right for what seems like miles the swords all set alight. Shows just how incredible the power and scale of the forces are. Huge and astounding. 

The nerves n Jorah’s face disappear and are replaced by a bravery and defiance. Same with Grey Worm. Fucking let’s have these cunts!!!! 

The Red Woman promises to be dead before the dawn, and glances at Arya. The princess who was promised. 

Dothraki screamers set off in huge numbers, the same war cry that they’ve used so often before obliterating the enemy. Stunning shots, from the hillside the scale is unreal. Beautiful. The ride off in their thousands into the dark and into the enemy. With in few seconds the entireforce is gone. Giant fore gone. Threat literally and figuratively extinguished. 

Un-fucking-believe opening. One of the best openings to any episode of TV I’ve ever seen. 

Ser Jorah and  some other animals have retreated and escaped. Hardly any. Everyone is shitting themselves. The tension is almost unbearable. 

The Wights flood forward. Like a sea of death drowning the forces. Fight scenes lit up and backlit by dragon fires. Both Targaryans flying on Dragons. They fly into the icy cloud stuff and can’t see shit. Arya tells Sansa to get to the crypt, gives her a blade and tells her to ‘stick em with the pointy end’. Great call back. Evokes Ned Stark memories. 

Same saved by Edd. Edd killed. Heroic ending for a good man. 

Everyone forced to fall back. Far too many to mention but some beath taking scenes and scenery. Jonegon Snogaryan Lansing his dragon on the wall was great. Seeing the Unsullied’s centre peeling back into defence was amazing for anybody who likes military tactics. Stunning actually. Including a partial sacrifice by Grey Worm. 

Arya saving the Hound. Excellent. To be repaid. 

Stopping there. But awesome.

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, Pidge said:

Enjoyed it more second time around.  Not mad about the direction in places (but more the cinematography, it's too dark for far too much of it - maybe on my TV, but that's something you have to take into account when making TV), it does get incoherent in places, but not as much as my bleary eyes had it this morning.  Took in much more of the score this time around as well, which is very well done.

Spotted Tormund and Brienne clearly fine at the end as well.  They really did shit out of the ruthless deaths side of things.

Happy enough with the big dumb moments that made for effective moments (Dothraki being thrown away and Drogon not using his fire to free himself when mobbed). Could've been much more dramatic and impactful, but happy to wait and see what they make of the rest now.

Dothraki was not a dumb moment. It was entirely consistent with the entire run of the show, mate. 

35 minutes ago, Pidge said:

Pretty much is.  As far as the story that began with Waymar Royce out in the haunted forest goes, at least.

It isn’t the climax. It’s a part of the story ending, we didn’t even see the night king until what, S3. It was a part of it but not the climax of the show. 

thought it was a bit shit.

Found it really difficult to focus on a lot of it seeing as it was so dark. 

The CGI was woeful, especially anything containing the dragons. And as for the Zombies, fuck off, its just medievil Walking Dead really.

imagine now that slapper Cersei rocks up with her new fella and massive army to batter all the survivors. 

never thought id say it, but the show is now scraping the barrel, time to end it. 

• Downvote 6

Thought it was fantastic television. The kind of episode I feel I've been waiting for since Blackwater. Tension ludicrously high. Arya in the library was like a resident evil game and her chase scenes exhilarating. 

The dragon bits were well done with the aerial fighting. 

Didn't see the ending coming and thought Arya was fucked. For the first time in 8 series I'm looking forward to brann talking next week to see what he knew/knows. 

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

Thought it was fantastic television. The kind of episode I feel I've been waiting for since Blackwater. Tension ludicrously high. Arya in the library was like a resident evil game and her chase scenes exhilarating. 

The dragon bits were well done with the aerial fighting. 

Didn't see the ending coming and thought Arya was fucked. For the first time in 8 series I'm looking forward to brann talking next week to see what he knew/knows. 

They looked like the fucking Bat Signal a few times 

I thought it was absolutely immense, they'll struggle to top that. I watched it in a fairly dark room with my tablets screen very bright so it was ok. 

i can see the next episode mostly being a build up to another big battle in Episode 5, with Episode 6 to tie things off.

Understand some people's disappointment reg. the white walkers ending but it's always been about a struggle for the Iron Throne and now it moves onto that closure. Expecting a few more surprises yet.

Just immense TV really. 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

It isn’t the climax. It’s a part of the story ending, we didn’t even see the night king until what, S3. It was a part of it but not the climax of the show. 

My point, obviously, is that the White Walkers and the Night's Watch is at the foundation of the entire story, that story has reached it's climax.  That 8 season epic journey is over.  There's obviously more to tell in Westeros, but the spine of the story that's run since the very start of the show is (or at least really, really seems to be) over.

8 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Dothraki was not a dumb moment. It was entirely consistent with the entire run of the show, mate.

It was absolutely dumb to send the Dothraki into a head on attack in pitch black when vastly outnumbered, tactically it makes no sense - which is why I'm pointing out that I'm fine with that because it made for a cool moment.  With suspense of disbelief, it's fine.  Without it Danaerys has happily seen her people decimated for no advantage whatsoever.  I was happy to suspend, but it doesn't stop it being dumb.

Anyway I disagree on the consistency point, the entire run of the show has established that using cavalry well wins battles.  The horses are coming may well be the GoT version of the Eagles are coming.

I'm absolutely delighted with that episode despite agreeing with a lot of the criticisms. Brilliant tension bettered only by the battle of the bastards. Biggest criticism is it's obvious that certain characters won't die, at least yet which loses a little bit of the excitement. Completely understandable though, as Arya or Jon getting twatted now would really be a sickener. 

Absolutely made up that it hopefully seems to be the end of the wight walkers, with episodes to spare. In such a brilliant character lead show, there is no motive or nuance about them and it just makes them run of the mill, one dimensional fodder compared to excellent villains like Joffrey or Ramsey, god I miss them. However, the episode really treated this irritating part of the show brilliantly. 

The red witch returning was a nice unexpected touch and she kicked fucking ass. Ser Jorah was easily the biggest loss, think Danyaerys was considering giving him a friendzone death jump. 

Really thought Bran might do something brilliant, but perhaps that's still to come. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Pidge said:

My point, obviously, is that the White Walkers and the Night's Watch is at the foundation of the entire story, that story has reached it's climax.  That 8 season epic journey is over.  There's obviously more to tell in Westeros, but the spine of the story that's run since the very start of the show is (or at least really, really seems to be) over.

It was absolutely dumb to send the Dothraki into a head on attack in pitch black when vastly outnumbered, tactically it makes no sense - which is why I'm pointing out that I'm fine with that because it made for a cool moment.  With suspense of disbelief, it's fine.  Without it Danaerys has happily seen her people decimated for no advantage whatsoever.  I was happy to suspend, but it doesn't stop it being dumb.

Anyway I disagree on the consistency point, the entire run of the show has established that using cavalry well wins battles.  The horses are coming may well be the GoT version of the Eagles are coming.

If they did anything else it would have been daft. It is what they’ve always done. Every battle. In an open field. 

Come on, man, it’s exactly what would have happened based on what they’ve done before. 

A lot of the criticism I’ve read on this thread would have lead to changes that I would have thought utterly ludicrous and out of character. I’m glad they went with what they did.