You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Black managers...where are they?

theacademic

I'm working on an online survey with a colleague at Staffordshire University on fans' views towards the lack of black managers or coaches in professional football. Chris Powell and Paul Ince are the only two black managers out of 92 involved in either the Premier or Football League. It would be great to hear your thoughts on this. The address is: BLACK FOOTBALL MANAGERS ... WHERE ARE THEY? - it will only take you 2 minutes (8 questions). Thanks in advance.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm working on an online survey with a colleague at Staffordshire University on fans' views towards the lack of black managers or coaches in professional football. Chris Powell and Paul Ince are the only two black managers out of 92 involved in either the Premier or Football League. It would be great to hear your thoughts on this. The address is: BLACK FOOTBALL MANAGERS ... WHERE ARE THEY? - it will only take you 2 minutes (8 questions). Thanks in advance.

We talking full Black or do you want half caste/ ethnic mixes too?

Not being funny, but who gives a fuck what colour a manager is?

Is this another one of those, "We need to diversify" load of shite things?

A manager is as good as his team plays, who gives a fuck what colour he is, honestly?

I didnt give a shite what colour John Barnes was as a player, so why should I now care if he isnt a manager?

Fucking shite, where are the black managers, who gives a toss?

What next? where are the chinese/indian coaches? bollocks.

How do you expect to have equality, if you only try to put inequality into the picture?

Equal rights? then lose the idea of colour, and look at people as people, not people as a colour.

Managers are given jobs based on ability. Just like the players. THings like this just keep making a non issues, an issue.

not being smart but how do you know people have not been turned down for a job based on the color of their skin?

id bet it has happened,and if it has happened then its an issue.

not being smart but how do you know people have not been turned down for a job based on the color of their skin?

id bet it has happened,and if it has happened then its an issue.

Oh do fuck off, its 2011, you cant not be given a job because of colour anymore.

You have to show why the job wasnt given these days if the applicant is not white.

I think there's a bit of a hangover from the decades of all-white teams. It's only comparatively recently that black players have become quite common and even more recently that those players have hung up their boots and some of them have gone into management. Against that background, it's not so surprising that there have only been comparatively few black managers so far.

I've filled it in and there is a shortage of black managers versus players but I cant really think of many black players who have professed to wanting to be managers.

As I've said in your survey,yes some of it has to do with most owners being rich,white and conservative but without knowing who specifically has applied for jobs its difficult to say if discrimination is as widespread as feared.

You mention that Luther Blissett has an A License but hasnt got a managers job but I believe its a Pro License thats actually needed.

Hes not a great example as he is associated with long ball stuff and seems to have regular media work anyway.

Will you release these findings?

I've filled it in and there is a shortage of black managers versus players but I cant really think of many black players who have professed to wanting to be managers.

As I've said in your survey,yes some of it has to do with most owners being rich,white and conservative but without knowing who specifically has applied for jobs its difficult to say if discrimination is as widespread as feared.

You mention that Luther Blissett has an A License but hasnt got a managers job but I believe its a Pro License thats actually needed.

Hes not a great example as he is associated with long ball stuff and seems to have regular media work anyway.

Will you release these findings?

obviously its gonna take a while for it to become normal to see black managers,i mean its only now becoming the norm in basketball and american football.

but anyone who thinks all people are judged equally is a moron.

lol god your naive.

Why? having a mrs who works at a JCP who deals with this sort of shite, and gives me actual real facts about what reality is, against that which those who feel the need to make issues of what they think is reality?

Any application to any company, for a job that is given to a person who is white, when a black person is not given the job who also applied, has to complete a form to explain why the white person got the job ahead of the non white person.

Equality? or just a way of looking to make it unequal?

That sadly mate is the way it is.

Naive? no, realist.

Why? having a mrs who works at a JCP who deals with this sort of shite, and gives me actual real facts about what reality is, against that which those who feel the need to make issues of what they think is reality?

Any application to any company, for a job that is given to a person who is white, when a black person is not given the job who also applied, has to complete a form to explain why the white person got the job ahead of thew white person.

Equality? or just a way of looking to make it unequal?

That sadly mate is the way it is.

Naive? no, realist.

these rules apply to football?

and a simple,the black applicant didnt match the requirements expected will suffice?

btw i suppose a non white person who suggests theyve been over looked for a job because of the color of their skin is talking shyt?

load of bollox,racism exists,deal with it.

not being smart but how do you know people have not been turned down for a job based on the color of their skin?id bet it has happened,and if it has happened then its an issue.

I don't. It may have recently happened. In the same way as someone may have recently been turned down fora job because of their nationality, religion, sex, or whatever. But you had the nonsense of Ince stating he couldn't get a top flight job because he was black. He was then given a premiership job and was utter shite. He was sacked, and then hinted it was because he was black. Of course no one mentioned Tigana or Gullitt, etc. It was like Ince was the first and was shafted. Rubbish of course, he was punted because he was out of his depth.

There is racism, and bigotry, and sexism, and all that shite in football. It will always be there. The best we can do is try and control it. The odd person may not get a job because of it, but sadly that's life. Uneducated scum will always find a way into normal life. As long as there isn't an actual agenda by top clubs, and the scum are minimised to almost a nothing level, then I don't think there is a whole lot to worry about.

I don't. It may have recently happened. In the same way as someone may have recently been turned down fora job because of their nationality, religion, sex, or whatever. But you had the nonsense of Ince stating he couldn't get a top flight job because he was black. He was then given a premiership job and was utter shite. He was sacked, and then hinted it was because he was black. Of course no one mentioned Tigana or Gullitt, etc. It was like Ince was the first and was shafted. Rubbish of course, he was punted because he was out of his depth.

There is racism, and bigotry, and sexism, and all that shite in football. It will always be there. The best we can do is try and control it. The odd person may not get a job because of it, but sadly that's life. Uneducated scum will always find a way into normal life. As long as there isn't an actual agenda by top clubs, and the scum are minimised to almost a nothing level, then I don't think there is a whole lot to worry about.

thats the nail on the head mate,thats why its an issue,i dont think it will always be an issue though.

saying its not an issue and it doesnt happen is wrong,thats all im saying.

these rules apply to football?

and a simple,the black applicant didnt match the requirements expected will suffice?

btw i suppose a non white person who suggests theyve been over looked for a job because of the color of their skin is talking shyt?

load of bollox,racism exists,deal with it.

Totally agree, but in the real world, it only exists in employment laws if your white, so get over it.

Btw, a white person cant say he didnt get the job on colour grounds, thats called being racist. :)

Guest San Don

I think its just a question of numbers. It took a number of years for black players to 'establish' themselves in english football never mind in the top league.

Virtually all managers are ex players so you have to have a pool of players who are different from the 'norm' for them to be noticed.

For example, its nearly always said grey horses never win horse races. But that's because the vast majority of horses are chestnut so in a field of 8 horse, if there's one grey, he'll be noticed more for not winning as all the other horses are a different colur.

Totally agree, but in the real world, it only exists in employment laws if your white, so get over it.

Btw, a white person cant say he didnt get the job on colour grounds, thats called being racist. :)

im not sure you live in the real world mate,no offence.

Good post that.