You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Steve Clarke

BigMike

Gough was never shit, immense he was. Ok he went to Goodison but Playing at that level at his age showed how good he was. Ian Durrant barring his horrific injury would have been one of the best Scots players. certainly before his injury he was brilliant.

What type of midfielder was Durrant and what were his attributes?

Any current midfielders he is comparable to?

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What type of midfielder was Durrant and what were his attributes?

Any current midfielders he is comparable to?

Durrant was a brilliant box to box player, very comfortable on the ball, passing was excellent. One of those players who timed his runs to perfection and his engine was awesome. he was lightweight granted but at that time he was still developing physically, one of my biggest disappointments in football having his career ruined by a really horrendous attack on his knee.

Gough was never shit, immense he was. Ok he went to Goodison but Playing at that level at his age showed how good he was. Ian Durrant barring his horrific injury would have been one of the best Scots players. certainly before his injury he was brilliant.

Agree with this too.

I thought Gough was a very underrated Centre Half and looked head and shoulders above most of the other Blueshite when he was there.

Pat Nevin was a talented little winger; obviously not in the same class as some of the top class Scottish players that have been mentioned.

After his performances with Ranagers, and probaby looking a cut above most of the CM in that league, a lot of people felt Barry Ferguson was tailor made for the PL. Never worked out for him. There was talk that he was a bit homesick as well during his first spell in this country, with Blackburn; probably not quite good enough, not for the top clubs any way.

James McFadden was being hailed as the next big hope for Scotland, on these shores any way, when he was at Motherwell.

Steve Clarke himself was a solid and reliable RB.

What about ex Tottenham and Barcelona striker Steve Archibald, and in their era too; he belongs in the company of Hansen and Souness doesn't he, or must come close?

Can't believe that a Rangers fan hasn't pointed out the talent that the late Davie (Davey) Cooper possessed, this man was a genius on the pitch. He could play on either wing, beat players for fun and scored some cracking goals throughout his career.

Criminally underused by Scotland, and never got the real recognition he deserved from anyone outside Rangers.

Can't believe that a Rangers fan hasn't pointed out the talent that the late Davie (Davey) Cooper possessed, this man was a genius on the pitch. He could play on either wing, beat players for fun and scored some cracking goals throughout his career.

Criminally underused by Scotland, and never got the real recognition he deserved from anyone outside Rangers.

Personally, I don't know anything about Cooper. This is what Ruud Gullit had to say about him though, having picked him for his all time 11:

"I played against him in the European Cup when he was with Glasgow Rangers and he was a really skilful player. Unbelievably skilful. He didn’t have much pace but he was a good dribbler who set up plenty of chances for team-mates as well as scoring some great goals himself."

Ruud Gullit - Perfect XI - Interviews - FourFourTwo

Personally, I don't know anything about Cooper. This is what Ruud Gullit had to say about him though, having picked him for his all time 11:

"I played against him in the European Cup when he was with Glasgow Rangers and he was a really skilful player. Unbelievably skilful. He didn’t have much pace but he was a good dribbler who set up plenty of chances for team-mates as well as scoring some great goals himself."

Ruud Gullit - Perfect XI - Interviews - FourFourTwo

Honestly mate, the man could do things with a ball that I didn't think were possible when I was a lad. Many an afternoon I had to sit and watch Rangers vs Celtic videos with my Uncles and Cousins, just so they could show me how good Cooper was.

Even in his latter years, he was just as effective, taking teams apart with his passing rather than his dribbling ability. Top player.

For the record, I follow Aberdeen up the road, so there is little reason for me to like a Rangers player, due to the strange rivalry that developed in the mid to late 80's between the 2 clubs, but this man was so exceptional that you could not help admire the way he played the game, and look on in awe when you seen him in full flight when watching SportScene on a Saturday evening.

Honestly mate, the man could do things with a ball that I didn't think were possible when I was a lad. Many an afternoon I had to sit and watch Rangers vs Celtic videos with my Uncles and Cousins, just so they could show me how good Cooper was.

Even in his latter years, he was just as effective, taking teams apart with his passing rather than his dribbling ability. Top player.

For the record, I follow Aberdeen up the road, so there is little reason for me to like a Rangers player, due to the strange rivalry that developed in the mid to late 80's between the 2 clubs, but this man was so exceptional that you could not help admire the way he played the game, and look on in awe when you seen him in full flight when watching SportScene on a Saturday evening.

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing your thoughts mate.

Any idea if any English clubs were ever interested in Davey Cooper?

Also, if you've seen enough of Danny Wilson in Scotland; do you think he has what it takes to make it with us in the PL?

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing your thoughts mate.

Any idea if any English clubs were ever interested in Davey Cooper?

Also, if you've seen enough of Danny Wilson in Scotland; do you think he has what it takes to make it with us in the PL?

Honestly can't remember Cooper being linked with any English clubs, mind you, I was only a young lad during his pomp, and my memory is not that great at the best of times...

I moved down to England about 19-20 years ago, so I don't catch as many SPL games, live or highlights, as I probably would like. A couple of my Rangers following cousins rate him highly though.

Never started a thread before but tonight I felt the need.

Don't know what he's doing but along with Kenny it seems to be working. Kenny is rightly getting the plaudits but I just want to mention that Steve Clarke must have played his part.

He's done it at Chelsea, at West Ham and now showing signs of it here.

I know there are fantasy manager 'who will we sign' type threads but the most important signing for me are the King and Clarke on long terms deals.

Interested to hear if anyone has some info on what role he's playing etc.

Cheers.

Steve Clarke is the defense coach. He blew it v wigan. poorest defensive display in wks.

A tad harsh Kopout or just on a wind up?

One goal conceeded in the last 5 games and even that was clearly offside. I think he's doing an exceptional job and it's just a real shame we were so far behind when he and Kenny came in otherwise top 4 would have been assured.

Players coming in and out of the team doesn't help but there is a real glimmer of hope now that we have a system that the players know and can work to.

On the thread subject? I'm VERY happy with Steve Clarke in place - He's one of the Few people who knew (and knows) how to produce what I call the 'Dreadnought' defences that Mourinho pioneered at Chelsea and which he took with him to Inter Milan - You know? The REALLY annoying defences that almost NOTHING scored against? No matter What was thrown at them? I think now we've got someone who knows how to produce defences like That in place (and our defensive run of recent weeks was only punctured yesterday due to an offside goal - pity no-one appealed but there you go) that we'll eventually with Kenny working on the player's techniques and attacking sides and Steve drilling the defense ad nauseum go on to produce a side something like Kenny's 1986 or if we're Very lucky his 1988 side in the Very long term. I'm pretty sure That is what he's working towards anyway. We will eventually see no doubt one way or the other..............

Regarding a couple of other points? JMC66 – You said “The success of the purple nosed one up the East Lancs has been his ability to pick the right staff and particularly coaches and this is something that Kenny has now done well with.” It’s not a case of Kenny doing that Now and learning it from Ferguson as you seem to imply; Just Who do you think Ferguson learned That and a lot of the other little tricks he uses to dominate from? You know – Tricks like Mind games, resting players from Internationals, giving opposition players ‘toffee’ (praise) in interviews to make them focus on and mess up their own performances by doubting themselves etc. He learnt them ALL from Liverpool FC of course or more specifically the likes of Dalglish and Paisley - His current side and his last 3 or 4? Everything he does, heck his entire Ethos since he figured out to succeed? Are All cast in the mould of Liverpool FC - He and they Are what we were to our time - His team IS an Old Liverpool FC style side - Just one playing in a different kit - He only got where he is by stealing the blueprints to our success wholesale and adapting them to That pit down the M62 - I think his sides are more counterattacking than any of ours ever were for example (our old sides were always solely possession based as I remember) but in many other respects and it Really shames me to say this? United ARE the old Liverpool - Why do you think they've proved so damned hard to dislodge?

More unfortunately currently and more relevant to us right now? I think Liverpool Are the old United and now? We Need to take back what got us to the top in the first place irrespective of money, wealth and teams with fortunes (it's worked well enough for United against the likes of Abramovich, City etc no?) and? Re-adapt it back to Anfield by burning it into our teams DNA/style until it is never lost again. This is a process that I think Kenny is currently in the process of doing but it will take time - That particular formula has not been present on any large scale in our team since 1991 when Souness wrecked it and the team. It will take time but it Will work in the end............

Jose Jones – You ask who the LAST truly great Scottish player in the mould of Dalglish, Souness, Hansen etc was? I’d probably say someone like Ally Mccoist – He was as far as I know their last International Class striker and came within a whisker of playing in a European Cup Final when Rangers fell at the Final Hurdle in 1992/1993 – Think the Final that year was AC Milan and Marseilles so it would have been interesting had Rangers made it through. But yes I don’t think they’ve had a striker as good as Mccoist since he retired – Don’t think they’ve QUALIFIED for anything either if I remember rightly (he scored a few goals in the 1998 qualifiers but they left him out of the Finals Squad for France 1998 if I’m correct). As to other achievements? Well, he won the European Golden Boot in 1991-1992 and 1992-1993 as well (putting him up there with the likes of Papin, Van Basten and Romario in terms of effect in Europe) and as far as I know, he’s definitely the last Scotsman to accomplish That particular feat even once never mind twice.

So in view of all that? Yes, I’d say Ally Mccoist was a fair shout for The last of the true ‘World Class’ Scots players at this particular moment – There’s certainly been none come even CLOSE to his achievements since he retired – Will they Ever have that class of player up there again? It's possible - However they don't seem to be producing them at the moment more's the pity. Plenty of time for that to change and no doubt it will at Some point in the future - We shall see…………….

Edited by Redshadow

David Cooper was my hero and a wonderful player. Always remember a game he played for Scotland ( a friendly) not sur if it was televised but he was utterly outstanding and his skills were a joy to behold, I wonder how good he would have been if he had 2 feet!! I never mentioned his name be ause I thought it was exports you were talking about. Cooper as far as I know said he would not leave Rangers to sign for anyone. Don't know that as fact though. A very very sad day the day he died, but he died trying to pass on his skills to youngsters. As a wee aside, keep an eye out for a young lad (19) at Ibrox just now, Jamie Ness, would have been more developed in his career before now but has been hampered by injury. Hopefully he steers clear and can become as good as we all hope. So keep yer hands off! Btw Danny Wilson wasted on the bench! Read today he said if he was played at Rangers he would have stayed. But thought better to sit on the bench at Liverpool biding his time on more than double his wages. Davie Weir keeping out of the team! One of Walters major faults

David Cooper was my hero and a wonderful player. Always remember a game he played for Scotland ( a friendly) not sur if it was televised but he was utterly outstanding and his skills were a joy to behold, I wonder how good he would have been if he had 2 feet!! I never mentioned his name be ause I thought it was exports you were talking about. Cooper as far as I know said he would not leave Rangers to sign for anyone. Don't know that as fact though. A very very sad day the day he died, but he died trying to pass on his skills to youngsters. As a wee aside, keep an eye out for a young lad (19) at Ibrox just now, Jamie Ness, would have been more developed in his career before now but has been hampered by injury. Hopefully he steers clear and can become as good as we all hope. So keep yer hands off! Btw Danny Wilson wasted on the bench! Read today he said if he was played at Rangers he would have stayed. But thought better to sit on the bench at Liverpool biding his time on more than double his wages. Davie Weir keeping out of the team! One of Walters major faults

What type of midfielder is Ness and what are his attributes?

What type of midfielder is Ness and what are his attributes?
He can tackle for sure. Has bags of confidence and a lovely left foot. Has been compared to the great Jim Baxter, but to be that good he would have a long way to go, although I see the comparison in the way he carries himself. He scored a lovely goal against the Celtic last week in the cup. As I say not there yet but has all the attributes to go all the waits one positive to us being skint some of the younger lads are getting their shot at 1st team football.

He can tackle for sure. Has bags of confidence and a lovely left foot. Has been compared to the great Jim Baxter, but to be that good he would have a long way to go, although I see the comparison in the way he carries himself. He scored a lovely goal against the Celtic last week in the cup. As I say not there yet but has all the attributes to go all the waits one positive to us being skint some of the younger lads are getting their shot at 1st team football.

Is he a Left Winger or left footed CM?

The Aberdeen team of that time were all good hard working players, mcLeish and miller were a great partnership, if not outstanding players. Strachan was the pick of the bunch

I always preferred Eric Black and John Hewitt to Googsie, but your point is valid seeing as Strachan ended up playing for the Mancs, where as the two I mentioned never really kicked on.

I also always had a soft spot for Stewart McKimmie. A no nonsense right back who probably could have gone on to bigger and better things had he ever made the journey south.

Another Scotsman in my opinion who could almost be put in the same bracket as Dalglish, Souness, Hansen and Cooper, was Paul McStay, who only ever played for Celtic. Outstanding in the centre of the park back in his day, and someone I always enjoyed watching. I'm sure many Rangers fans would disagree, and those who do agree, do so through gritted teeth.

I always preferred Eric Black and John Hewitt to Googsie, but your point is valid seeing as Strachan ended up playing for the Mancs, where as the two I mentioned never really kicked on.

I also always had a soft spot for Stewart McKimmie. A no nonsense right back who probably could have gone on to bigger and better things had he ever made the journey south.

Another Scotsman in my opinion who could almost be put in the same bracket as Dalglish, Souness, Hansen and Cooper, was Paul McStay, who only ever played for Celtic. Outstanding in the centre of the park back in his day, and someone I always enjoyed watching. I'm sure many Rangers fans would disagree, and those who do agree, do so through gritted teeth.

McStay was absolute quality. Very talented footballer and a genuinely nice guy. Not sure why he stayed at Celtic, think there was a few occasions when it looked like he was off but never transpired

Spot on.

For those that don't know, Davie Cooper is currently my avatar and he was without doubt a special player.