You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Third time he's done this.

Own goal! Mic captures Sky presenters' sexist diatribe against female linesman - and Apprentice star Karren Brady | Mail Online

Own goal! Mic captures Sky presenters' sexist diatribe against female linesman - and Apprentice star Karren Brady

By MAIL ON SUNDAY REPORTER

Last updated at 1:46 AM on 23rd January 2011

Comments (16)

Add to My Stories

Richard Keys and Andy Gray believed their microphones were switched off

Sky Sports presenters Andy Gray and Richard Keys were at the centre of a sexism row last night after they questioned whether a female linesman knew the offside rule during a Premier League football match.

The commentators, who apparently believed their microphones were switched off, were recorded making disparaging remarks about Sian Massey, 25, before Liverpool’s Premiership clash with Wolves yesterday.

They also criticised Apprentice star and West Ham vice-chairman Karren Brady who had yesterday written about sexism in a newspaper column.

Commenting on Ms Massey, Mr Keys said: ‘Somebody better get down there and explain offside to her.’

Mr Gray, a former Scottish international footballer, replied: ‘Can you believe that? A female linesman. Women don’t know the offside rule.’

Mr Keys replied: ‘Course they don’t. I can guarantee you there will be a big one today. Kenny (Liverpool manager Kenny Dalglish) will go potty. This isn’t the first time, is it? Didn’t we have one before?’*

The Sky presenters made disparaging remarks about assistant referee Sian Massey

Later in the exchange, Mr Keys said: ‘The game’s gone mad. Did you hear charming Karren Brady this morning complaining about sexism? Do me a favour, love.’

Ms Brady had said she had ‘experienced sexism at its rankest, lies about my personal life and a level of calculated mischief that is simply appalling’.

Asked about the pundits’ remarks, she said: ‘I think this just sums up everything I said in my column.’

During the game, which Liverpool won 3-0, Ms Massey angered Wolves by refusing to rule Raul Meireles offside before he set up Liverpool’s first goal. The replay showed that she made the correct decision.

When The Mail on Sunday put the transcript to Mr Keys, he said: ‘I have no recollection of that. I have no idea what you are talking about.

'My recollection is that I wished the young lady all the best.’

When told a recording existed of the conversation, he said: ‘If you have a tape then you don’t need me to talk to you.’

Last night The Mail on Sunday sent a transcript and a copy of the recording to a Sky Sports spokeswoman.

She was not able to confirm or deny the veracity of the clip, which was provided to this newspaper by an anonymous source.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Third time he's done this.

Own goal! Mic captures Sky presenters' sexist diatribe against female linesman - and Apprentice star Karren Brady | Mail Online

Own goal! Mic captures Sky presenters' sexist diatribe against female linesman - and Apprentice star Karren Brady

By MAIL ON SUNDAY REPORTER

Last updated at 1:46 AM on 23rd January 2011

Comments (16)

Add to My Stories

Richard Keys and Andy Gray believed their microphones were switched off

Sky Sports presenters Andy Gray and Richard Keys were at the centre of a sexism row last night after they questioned whether a female linesman knew the offside rule during a Premier League football match.

The commentators, who apparently believed their microphones were switched off, were recorded making disparaging remarks about Sian Massey, 25, before Liverpool’s Premiership clash with Wolves yesterday.

They also criticised Apprentice star and West Ham vice-chairman Karren Brady who had yesterday written about sexism in a newspaper column.

Commenting on Ms Massey, Mr Keys said: ‘Somebody better get down there and explain offside to her.’

Mr Gray, a former Scottish international footballer, replied: ‘Can you believe that? A female linesman. Women don’t know the offside rule.’

Mr Keys replied: ‘Course they don’t. I can guarantee you there will be a big one today. Kenny (Liverpool manager Kenny Dalglish) will go potty. This isn’t the first time, is it? Didn’t we have one before?’*

The Sky presenters made disparaging remarks about assistant referee Sian Massey

Later in the exchange, Mr Keys said: ‘The game’s gone mad. Did you hear charming Karren Brady this morning complaining about sexism? Do me a favour, love.’

Ms Brady had said she had ‘experienced sexism at its rankest, lies about my personal life and a level of calculated mischief that is simply appalling’.

Asked about the pundits’ remarks, she said: ‘I think this just sums up everything I said in my column.’

During the game, which Liverpool won 3-0, Ms Massey angered Wolves by refusing to rule Raul Meireles offside before he set up Liverpool’s first goal. The replay showed that she made the correct decision.

When The Mail on Sunday put the transcript to Mr Keys, he said: ‘I have no recollection of that. I have no idea what you are talking about.

'My recollection is that I wished the young lady all the best.’

When told a recording existed of the conversation, he said: ‘If you have a tape then you don’t need me to talk to you.’

Last night The Mail on Sunday sent a transcript and a copy of the recording to a Sky Sports spokeswoman.

She was not able to confirm or deny the veracity of the clip, which was provided to this newspaper by an anonymous source.

You left this bit out from the end of the article.

Mr Gray could not be reached last night.

:whistle:

Guest The Chimp
Couldn't have happened to a nicer primate.

1257848183_chimp-head.gif

He was ostracised from the Simian Brotherhood a long time ago. In all seriousness what a two-faced cunt though eh?

Yeah, she got it right. Hahahahaha. A pair of neolithic turds.

Disgusting stuff, but I'm sure she's heard and shrugged off all of the usual drivel before, and from people with more gravitas than Gray and Keys.

Am I the only one thinking they're probably right? When I saw her, I thought this could be chaos! Then I thought, well I suppose it could be us or them as victims so at least it's an even chance.

Seriously, if she'd dropped a bollock on one, are you telling me none of you would've turned sexist? Even when she got the Meireles incident correct, people in the game thread were throwing in 'nice one love'!

I honestly don't know anybody that likes Andy Grey, not bloody one, I was honestly only thinking if we'd ever get to watch football on Sky without hi stupid fucking ramblings in the back ground

If he gets sacked, it'll be like winning the lottery, imagine sitting down to watch a match, WITHOUT that know all cunt annoying you, I hope he gets sacked for this