You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Maybe he didn't want to overly go for Carlton Cole though mate because he is loathe to spend money for the sake of spending it and will wait for the right player to be available in what will be a key position in the team.

Kelly can cover at right back, in fact I would argue he should be starting ahead of Johnson right now which doesn't speak well of Johnson and his inflated price tag that a kid from the academy is at this moment probably more worthy of a starting place.

I don't disagree with that mate, I just don't understand why he's trying to defend Hodgson because he doesn't have another striker when he did have a choice to bring one in.

He's gambled by not bringing in a back up for Torres, Rafa gambled on it and failed and, rightly, got a lot of stick for it. I don't see the difference between what Roy's done and what Rafa did.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We all knew the boot didn't fit, didn't we.

I could see the rationale and appeal behind appointing Kenny Dalglish being brought in whilst going through a sales process, but I'd be similarly interested to hear why the likes of Pellegrini for instance were discounted.

I see Hodgson getting until Christmas to turn things around. I believe we'll be somewhere around mid-table by then. The only way he'll go beforehand is if we have a catastrophic series of results.

Done...

I don't disagree with that mate, I just don't understand why he's trying to defend Hodgson because he doesn't have another striker when he did have a choice to bring one in.

He's gambled by not bringing in a back up for Torres, Rafa gambled on it and failed and, rightly, got a lot of stick for it. I don't see the difference between what Roy's done and what Rafa did.

The article screams of Purslow going into arse protection mode.

He's fed Bascombe plenty of information lately and now it is payback.

Purslow it would seem wants to stay on under the new owners. the first thing any new owners need to look at is the incompetant manager and whoever thought it a good idea to appoint him.

Do we have a good squad though? I see it as a very unbalanced lobsided squad lacking genuine quality in quite a few positions. No pace in the side at all either.

Granted we definently need new faces. But his tactics are just not working at all thus far. Maybe with time the team will adapt. But thats a big chance to take the way things have been going.

In my opinion,and its only my opinion mind, his tactics are the main problem. I'm convinced the team could do alot better if they actually tried to take the game to the opposition. At the minute we're camped deep inviting teams onto us. Its just not working.

That is not Rafas fault. Its just too easy to blame the squad hes left behind. They can do alot better if utilised correctly. Obviously they're not going to win the league, but we'd be a few more points better off at the minute.

I was saying last year that there not bad players they just need to be let off the loose.

But I'm beggining to question myself on that, I am realising that they are shit.

Johnson Skrtel and Kyriakos are fucking woeful, plus and I'll say it Carra is waning. Kuyt is crap,maxi Lucas NGOG Babel rubbish. To be honest we have some serious shit in our team, thats cost us a fortune, Yet we have let good people go. The biggest downfall in all of this is selling one man Xabi Alonso, and I'll never forgive that man for hounding him out.

They are obviously better at attacking (when allowed) than defending.

Who tells them to sit on the edge of their own box?

The article screams of Purslow going into arse protection mode.

He's fed Bascombe plenty of information lately and now it is payback.

Purslow it would seem wants to stay on under the new owners. the first thing any new owners need to look at is the incompetant manager and whoever thought it a good idea to appoint him.

Even his little soldiers are at it:

Kenny Dalglish is not the answer to Liverpool's prayers, according to Danny Murphy, who believes the Reds should stick with Roy Hodgson - News - MirrorFootball.co.uk

Maybe his top target isn't available right now and I am sure we all wouldn't like to see just anybody coming in and us spending money for the sake of it though.

Say if he spent 10m on Carlton Cole as a last resort on deadline day and he flopped here, what happens then? He will get even more flack for it. I would like to think that we are waiting for the right players to become available so we can build from there rather than players who are bought in a panic buy situation.

Now that you mention Rafa. The summer of 2009, should he have really spent that money on a full back who's defending is questionable and a crocked until November then never used after that midfielder? If he had bought a striker which was a priority then nobody would have said anything against the man as that was what we really needed. He had been here 5 years then with his own team of scouts, surely they had a shortlist of strikers by then.

Roys situation was slightly different considering he came in late and needed to really evaluate the squad. It looks as though Roy has fucked up with Poulsen, even I will admit that but it isn't in the Aquilani league of terrible deals overall.

With a few notable exceptions it's very similar to the squad that got us second.

I think if he played

---------------------Reina-----------------------

Johnson-----Carra/Skrtel-----Agger-----Konchesky

------------Meireless------Lucas/Poulsen----------------

Kuyt---------------Gerrard----------------Cole

-------------------Torres-----------------------

And actually tried to push the team higher up the pitch and press the opposition we'd do better.

Now obviously there are improvements that need to be made, Konchesky is a weak point, Johnson and Kuyt can also be dodgy and Lucas/Poulsen is a no goer in my opinion.

Fix the left back and replace Lucas/Poulsen with somebody good and we'd instantly be a stronger unit.

What's changed from any manager coming in and picking the squad up, to the players aren't good enough?

There's a big move of the goalposts going on from what I can see.

Hodgson is simply not up to it. Whether the goalposts have been moved or not.

EDIT: and the Konchesky signing is like when we signed Julian Dicks. He's awful.

Maybe his top target isn't available right now and I am sure we all wouldn't like to see just anybody coming in and us spending money for the sake of it though.

Say if he spent 10m on Carlton Cole as a last resort on deadline day and he flopped here, what happens then? He will get even more flack for it. I would like to think that we are waiting for the right players to become available so we can build from there rather than players who are bought in a panic buy situation

Every manager has to make do with what they've got. The fact is, Hodgson failed to bring in a striker to partner/back up Torres. No amount of excuses can change that, it couldn't last season so I find it hard to believe that there are excuses being made for it this time round.

Now that you mention Rafa. The summer of 2009, should he have really spent that money on a full back who's defending is questionable and a crocked until November then never used after that midfielder? If he had bought a striker which was a priority then nobody would have said anything against the man as that was what we really needed. He had been here 5 years then with his own team of scouts, surely they had a shortlist of strikers by then.

Roys situation was slightly different considering he came in late and needed to really evaluate the squad. It looks as though Roy has fucked up with Poulsen, even I will admit that but it isn't in the Aquilani league of terrible deals overall.

Johnson's game is based on going forward, his defending being questionable at times is irrelevant, Mascherano would cover for him most of the time anyway. The problem isn't Johnson himself, it's the way he's being used, in a flat, deep back 4. We might aswell sell him if we plan to use him in a system which doesn't play to his strengths. Johnson is probably one of the most technically brilliant players in our squad, it's not his fault we aren't playing to his strengths.

Aquilani hadn't had a pre-season and a proper run of games in ages, I don't see why people expected him to be thrown in at the deep end straight away, it was clear he was going to need the season to bed in. It's incredible people expected him to play 90 mins two times a week. I reckon we'd have seen the best of Aquilani this season, if he would've been allowed to stay by Hodgson, shame Purslow wanted to cut the wage budget and Hodgson wanted to include him in a deal with Poulsen. Plus, no one knows the conditions of the deal, I find it bizarre that we only paid a small fee upfront for Aquilani, and yet people blame the manager instead of questioning why we actually paid so little upfront.

Hodgson didn't need to evaluate the squad, it was clear as day that we needed a replacement for Mascherano, a left back and a back up striker.

He's brought a crap left back in, a crap central midfielder and no back up striker.

He's been a disaster, the only people defending Hodgson are one with agenda's.

Guest PurpleNose
Out of the current first team squad who play regularly personally the only ones I would definitely keep would be Reina, Carragher, Agger, Kyriakos, Konchesky, Meireles, Gerrard, Torres.

I would not shed a tear if any of the others left.

How many players do we actually have in the first team squad that play regularly?

Fans of most clubs, even those much higher than us in the league, would probably fuck off half their squad if they could.

Who else plays regularly (and I'm stretching the term) in our squad?

Johnson, Lucas, Kuyt, Maxi, Poulsen, Cole, Jovanovic. Don't think there are anymore.

Where would you expect us to finish based on the strength of our squad?

Honestly LF I can tell you 100% Purslow has not told Bascombe a thing, And I mean that, you can strike me down dead If I'm lying, This week Purslow done a press conference and I'm pretty sure its the first he has done in months. Purslow is not Bascombe's mole, I can tell you that. I've not got a fucking clue who is though.

He's gone get over it has been gone over 4 months.

Purslow had talked to Bascombe, you don't always call in an owed favour the following week do you?

no matter what we argue about regimes current and previous (i am still a great believer in the previous but i know other s have valid arguements against it) 1 things stands Hodgso nis shit and should never have been made our manager and if yougave him a 100 million he would still be shit cos he has cant handle big egos and hasnt got the coaching quality to impress those footballers who will win you things......

PS Konchesky is really shite so can't see why some people seem to think he isnt

What's changed from any manager coming in and picking the squad up, to the players aren't good enough?

There's a big move of the goalposts going on from what I can see.

Hodgson is simply not up to it. Whether the goalposts have been moved or not.

Combination of both I would say mate. There isn't enough genuine quality, creativity and pace in the side and Roy isn't getting the best out of what we do have right now.

We have people like Dirk in the side who ''does a job'' ''works hard'', where is the class in the squad to step to the plate whenever Torres and Stevie aren't playing well?

You may be right about Roy and I was expecting a better response if not in terms of results at least performances, it would have to be looked at if it carries on I agree but we have a massive game next Sunday that we simply have to be up for.

FFS, Looking through this thread so many people are only willing to back Kenny as far as a caretaker role.

What bullshit, if anyone deserve the chance to turn this club around it's Kenny. Our last title was won by him and due to personal reasons he never got the chance to back that up and quit.

It would be a fairy tale but a realistic one, the players would have so much respect for him and rightly so, he is a liverpool legend, possibly besides shanks the greatest one. Best player i've seen for sure, Nando could do with a partner like him.

If these new owners are ready to splash a bit of cash initially to get Liverpool back to a formiddible squad which all reports are they are, I only really have confidence in kenny to bring back the glory days. I wouldn't feel as comfortable having anyone else but him handed a kitty of 50+ million and free to use as they wish. I sent a similar post to this back in july last year then to my shock and dismay Roy was appointed... Hated the situation since.

Kenny deserves alot more than a fucking caretakers role, he deserves the real deal and to be backed to the hilt.

Think your wrong to be honest, but I maybe as well.

Do you not think Purslow is worried about his position under new owners?

He fucking well should be, he's just appointed an inferior manager who has taken the side into the relegation zone.

He's desperate for all the good publicity he can muster.

Combination of both I would say mate. There isn't enough genuine quality, creativity and pace in the side and Roy isn't getting the best out of what we do have right now.

Thats probably the best assessment of the situation to be fair.

But thing is, Roy seems to be sticking to his guns with his tactics, and right now they are not working and don't seem to be showing any signs of working.

So how long do we give him. Do we wait till January and see who he buys? The only problem I can see with that is to make his system work he'd need to buy at least 4 new good players. I can't see that sort of money being available.

The only option for now is for him to adapt his tactics. If he fails to do that I'm almost certain we'll lose a fair few of or upcoming fixtures.