You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mascherano would get into any of those midfields aswell.

And I agree he did make mistakes, but its got fuck all to do with how badly the side is playing now. This side finished 7th last season, so it good enough to finish the very least in the same position again. This time last season virtually the same side had no problem dispatching with the likes of Stoke, Burnley and Hull last season, all teams of the same ilk as blackpool, but for some reason we got played of the park and deservedly beaten by the latter last week. Hmmmm now I wonder what must of changed in a space of a year to give us such contrasting results?

Whats changed is we're sitting on the edge of our box inviting teams to batter us.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Surely, if you overachieve one season, and underachieve the next, then you should be given another year to see if it's a trend or if it was just a one off?

It happened with Ferguson, he had a poor season, finished mid table, yet they stuck with him and it paid off.

I'd understand the decision if we'd actually got a manager with a good track record, but no, we downgraded managers and paid £8m for the pleasure.

I don't think it's as simple as that; you have to analyse why you under-achieved as well as kinds of other things, such as the mood of the players and especially with us, the off-field situation. We went into last season believing that we had a real chance of winning the league, so it wasn't just slight under-achievement, it was huge.

Are you talking about Ferguson's first spell in charge when he hadn't won anything?

As for Hodgson, I agree that the early signs are very bad but that doesn't mean that it was wrong to make a change of management, just that the identity of the replacement was potentially wrong (it's still too early to say, either way).

I don't think it's as simple as that; you have to analyse why you under-achieved as well as kinds of other things, such as the mood of the players and especially with us, the off-field situation. We went into last season believing that we had a real chance of winning the league, so it wasn't just slight under-achievement, it was huge.

Are you talking about Ferguson's first spell in charge when he hadn't won anything?

As for Hodgson, I agree that the early signs are very bad but that doesn't mean that it was wrong to make a change of management, just that the identity of the replacement was potentially wrong (it's still too early to say, either way).

Well, the main reason for the underachieving was lack of investment from the board, making a profit in every transfer window since January 09, not that the board would accept that. The board have been wanting their own man in since 2007, so the manager will keep quiet about getting promises broken and the board lying.

That's all Hodgson is, if people think the change of managers was nothing to do with football. Now we have people still trying to justify his appointment even though he's been a disaster on and off the pitch, even more so than Benitez.

The problem with Purslow is he will be making decisions that generally suit himself instead of the best decisions for the club and the team.

Yeah, I'm talking about when Ferguson dropped down from 2nd to 11th, and the board stuck with him, as they say, the rest is history.

Changing managers is the same as changing players though. Maybe getting rid of Benitez was as you say, the right thing to do, but the problem is the replacement will always get compared to the last one.

I believe getting nearly £30m for Xabi Alonso was a fantastic piece of business, it was just the replacement that was injured at the start of the season so it wasn't a great deal that season. The managerial change should be viewed the same, and for now it seems like the worst deal in Liverpool's history.

Hodgson is shite. Why do you think harry redknapp is saying give him time.

This guy should never have been given the job.

You only have to listen to Slur Alex's remarks about Roy to realise he's not good enough aswell. Both Redknapp and Ferguson are both happy to see Roy remain at the club, because they know that while Roy is still here we will never be a threat to them.

Well, the main reason for the underachieving was lack of investment from the board, making a profit in every transfer window since January 09, not that the board would accept that. The board have been wanting their own man in since 2007, so the manager will keep quiet about getting promises broken and the board lying.

That's all Hodgson is, if people think the change of managers was nothing to do with football. Now we have people still trying to justify his appointment even though he's been a disaster on and off the pitch, even more so than Benitez.

The problem with Purslow is he will be making decisions that generally suit himself instead of the best decisions for the club and the team.

Yeah, I'm talking about when Ferguson dropped down from 2nd to 11th, and the board stuck with him, as they say, the rest is history.

Changing managers is the same as changing players though. Maybe getting rid of Benitez was as you say, the right thing to do, but the problem is the replacement will always get compared to the last one.

I believe getting nearly £30m for Xabi Alonso was a fantastic piece of business, it was just the replacement that was injured at the start of the season so it wasn't a great deal that season. The managerial change should be viewed the same, and for now it seems like the worst deal in Liverpool's history.

I'm not going to argue with you regarding the lack of investment from the board because that's a fact. I think it's only right to look at our rivals throughout the same period as well though, as that adds context. If Chelsea and Man Utd had spent lots of money in the summer of 2009 then I could understand us falling back but that didn't happen. They hardly strengthened at all and that to me represented a big chance for us to finally go and win the league after so many years; especially considering how well we played towards the end of the 08/09 season.

We didn't kick on though, we reverted to the negative crap that had blighted the bad spells throughout the previous 5 years, and as you put it yourself, the rest is history.

Rafa Benitez absolutely deserved to be replaced and this constant pining for him to return is absolutely bizarre to me.

As for Ferguson, I think it's a totally incomparable situation.

And as for actually comparing Benitez' reign to Hodgson's and calling the latter's a disaster, well that is as short-termist as they come. You can't compare six years with 3 months. I'm sorry but you can't do it. By all means, point to the fact that signs are incredibly bad, which they are, and criticise Hodgson for the individual decisions that he's gotten wrong (of which there are plenty) but don't compare reigns.

I can't agree with that. We had more than one bad season under Benitez and last season was so bad that a change needed to be made.

Benitez is far superior as a purely football man to other managers we are (still at the moment) able to attract. He had to go for other reasons, not because of one bad season on the pitch. It was good for him, and the club had a chance for a fresh approach. I hope the fresh approach is just around the corner.

Is this still going on and why on earth do people bring Rafa into it?

The man was his own worst enemy, he had not made one single good decision in the transfer market since 2007 and we had not won anything since 2006, thats a lot of years with constant failure right there.

He`s gone, get over it.

We didn't kick on though, we reverted to the negative crap that had blighted the bad spells throughout the previous 5 years, and as you put it yourself, the rest is history.

And as for actually comparing Benitez' reign to Hodgson's and calling the latter's a disaster, well that is as short-termist as they come. You can't compare six years with 3 months. I'm sorry but you can't do it. By all means, point to the fact that signs are incredibly bad, which they are, and criticise Hodgson for the individual decisions that he's gotten wrong (of which there are plenty) but don't compare reigns.

Do u think Roy's style will be negative crap as compared to benitez?

Benitez is far superior as a purely football man to other managers we are (still at the moment) able to attract. He had to go for other reasons, not because of one bad season on the pitch. It was good for him, and the club had a chance for a fresh approach. I hope the fresh approach is just around the corner.

I agree that there were various reasons why he needed to be replaced.

Is this still going on and why on earth do people bring Rafa into it?

The man was his own worst enemy, he had not made one single good decision in the transfer market since 2007 and we had not won anything since 2006, thats a lot of years with constant failure right there.

He`s gone, get over it.

This thread is about the current negative shite football playing manager.

Lets concentrate on that hey?

Do u think Roy's style will be negative crap as compared to benitez?

I don't know mate, time will tell. So far it has been negative crap, mostly, so the signs obviously aren't good.

For me, the key point here, is the replacement, not the fact that Benitez was removed. That was the right thing to do; we won't know if the replacement was the right man for a while yet, but the signs aren't good.

Really?

Selling Alonso for £30M was probably one of the worst decisions ever made and we have lost loads more than those £30M because of his sale.

Either way, how on earth can you give Rafa credit for that considering he was desperate to get rid for half the price the summer before.

This incident alone should be more than enough to sack him because it shows an utter lack of understanding and decision making from someone at this level in the club/"company".

I can see Il Fenomeno's point regarding Alonso - if we'd signed someone just as good for £20M then it would have been great business; a like-for-like replacement and £10M profit. There would have been nothing wrong with that, as much as I love Alonso.

The fact of the matter is that his replacement was nowhere near as good and it's arguable if there is actually a player out there as good as Alonso in central midfield, so overall it was a poor decision at the time and has been proven as such since.

I can see Il Fenomeno's point regarding Alonso - if we'd signed someone just as good for £20M then it would have been great business; a like-for-like replacement and £10M profit. There would have been nothing wrong with that, as much as I love Alonso.

The fact of the matter is that his replacement was nowhere near as good and it's arguable if there is actually a player out there as good as Alonso in central midfield, so overall it was a poor decision at the time and has been proven as such since.

There are players out there as good.

Were they available at a price where we could give them £7m up front? Of course not.

Shit business all round.

Guest PurpleNose

I thought the plan was to buy a different type of central midfielder (someone like Meireles infact would have been good), and spend the rest on a striker.

As you've said if we'd spend the money wisely, rather than spunk £18m on Big Purps, less people would have a problem with selling Alonso for £30m.

Xavi is better, not that we could sign him, but I'm not sure many others are.

Whether Hodgson stays or goes is nothing to do who he replaced but is he good enough to get the best out of the squad at his disposal? Can he be trusted in the transfer market with £ 20M.

On the first question, I don't believe he is the man. You only have to listen to his weak interviews. He comes across as a wet lettuce. This is not the man to inspire this team - regardless of how he overachieved last year with Fulham.

Bit early to drew conclusions on his ability in the transfer market. All managers make mistakes. All boards make mistakes when appointing managers.

Looking at how he sets up his teams, on balance I would say get rid asap. Damage limitation. Get a PROVEN winner in as the manager not somebody who has 'worked all his career and deserves a top job'

They hardly strengthened at all and that to me represented a big chance for us to finally go and win the league after so many years; especially considering how well we played towards the end of the 08/09 season.

Rafa Benitez absolutely deserved to be replaced and this constant pining for him to return is absolutely bizarre to me.

As for Ferguson, I think it's a totally incomparable situation.

And as for actually comparing Benitez' reign to Hodgson's and calling the laitter's a disaster, well that is as short-termist as they come. You can't compare six years with 3 months. I'm sorry but you can't do it. By all means, point to the fact that sgns are incredibly bad, which they are, and criticise Hodgson for the individual decisions that he's gotten wrong (of which there are plenty) but don't compare reigns.

I don't think the first part is true, when you compare our options to Chelsea & Man United you understand why we're so far behind them, even Tottenham, Man City & Arsenal have more options than us.

The problem with the summer of 09 was, we need a couple of new players to freshen things up and take us that step further but we didn't because of the owners, they thought we'd still get into the champions league and the difference between finishing 4th and 1st is marginal money wise. People talk about the squad being a title challenging one but let's be honest, Dirk Kuyt, Riera, Aurelio, Gerrard, Benayoun etc had one off seasons which they would never replicate again.

We also needed a proper replacement for Hyypia, one that we could rely on for years, instead we had to make do with Kyrgiakos.

We never had a squad capable of a title challenge, there were just loads of different circumstances which meant we actually overachieved massively, like Chelsea appointing a rubbish manager, ManU having to go to Asia or somewhere mid season, getting a truck load of red cards given in our favour and quite a few last minute goals.

Our squad still needed investment to go to the next level, but it never materialized and we missed out on champions league football and the side lost confidence rapidly knowing they wouldn't win the premier league.

I also don't understand why people expected a title challenge when we have the fifth most expensive squad and the fifth biggest wage budget.

Really?

Selling Alonso for £30M was probably one of the worst decisions ever made and we have lost loads more than those £30M because of his sale.

Either way, how on earth can you give Rafa credit for that considering he was desperate to get rid for half the price the summer before.

This incident alone should be more than enough to sack him because it shows an utter lack of understanding and decision making from someone at this level in the club/"company".

Because he's too slow and doesn't add enough goals/assists to the team, he also needs a even more defensive minded player next to him to be effective.

To put the transfer in perspective, Sneijder cost £13m, Alonso is not worth £30m, Madrid got robbed.

The only problem with the Xabi transfer was the replacement, as I said, the inital transfer was a good piece of business.

I don't think the first part is true, when you compare our options to Chelsea & Man United you understand why we're so far behind them, even Tottenham, Man City & Arsenal have more options than us.

The problem with the summer of 09 was, we need a couple of new players to freshen things up and take us that step further but we didn't because of the owners, they thought we'd still get into the champions league and the difference between finishing 4th and 1st is marginal money wise. People talk about the squad being a title challenging one but let's be honest, Dirk Kuyt, Riera, Aurelio, Gerrard, Benayoun etc had one off seasons which they would never replicate again.

We also needed a proper replacement for Hyypia, one that we could rely on for years, instead we had to make do with Kyrgiakos.

We never had a squad capable of a title challenge, there were just loads of different circumstances which meant we actually overachieved massively, like Chelsea appointing a rubbish manager, ManU having to go to Asia or somewhere mid season, getting a truck load of red cards given in our favour and quite a few last minute goals.

Our squad still needed investment to go to the next level, but it never materialized and we missed out on champions league football and the side lost confidence rapidly knowing they wouldn't win the premier league.

I also don't understand why people expected a title challenge when we have the fifth most expensive squad and the fifth biggest wage budget.

Because he's too slow and doesn't add enough goals/assists to the team, he also needs a even more defensive minded player next to him to be effective.

To put the transfer in perspective, Sneijder cost £13m, Alonso is not worth £30m, Madrid got robbed.

The only problem with the Xabi transfer was the replacement, as I said, the inital transfer was a good piece of business.

I don't even know where to start with this, as it's so fundamentally against the way I see things, so i'll just agree to disagree with you.

I don't know mate, time will tell. So far it has been negative crap, mostly, so the signs obviously aren't good.

For me, the key point here, is the replacement, not the fact that Benitez was removed. That was the right thing to do; we won't know if the replacement was the right man for a while yet, but the signs aren't good.

It really surprise me that in such a short time, Roy managed to turn so many fans against him just from his pre/post match interview. Nice man wrong job?